NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

4th time out. Looking to improve.

Sik
    Sik

4th time out. Looking to improve.   Empty 4th time out. Looking to improve.

Post by Sik Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:59 am

First time poster...

Been doing fantasy for 3 years now. Sportsbet 2013 and 2014, and NRL Fantasy in 2015.

Looking to improve. I normally make the top 4 in my comp, however I struggle picking a good first up team. I generally burn lots of trades at the beginning of the season to improve my team, but by then I generally fall behind. I did make top 250 in one round last year in NRL, and made to 100 3 or 4 times with Sportsbet. But I want to be better and get there more often.

Cheers Justin
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

4th time out. Looking to improve.   Empty Re: 4th time out. Looking to improve.

Post by standard-issue Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Welcome to the forum Sik.
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Thanks mate. Any tips?
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Sik wrote:Thanks mate. Any tips?

Trust me, you don't want advice from me...but follow the main thread, alot of long term and successful coaches in there.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Agreed, his advice is awful.

If you are looking for advice about your starting team then I would post your team in the main thread. Myself and a few other blokes often go through teams there and nitpick any potential problems one may have.

In general though, don't get cut up about using trades early. A general rule of thumb is that you will be using 6 trades in the opening 3 weeks fixing and correcting your team. So you should plan your trades around that.

Are you playing H2H or Overall?
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:04 pm

Id like to play overall. But due to my poor starts I just stick with H2H.
    I think I came 2nd overall last year. The year before I crashed out in the finals after finishing the regular season on top I lost both my finals. I guess it's all about getting a good start.

If Sportsbet do a comp this year I might do 2 teams. One for overall and one just aiming for the free bets each week.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:10 pm

Oh well if sportsbet run a comp I am sure we will see a thread open up for them, but most blokes here play Overall for Fantasy. So if you are interested in getting advice for your team for that. Definitely check out the Fantasy thread and feel free to post up your squad.

We will also be running NRL Fantasy leagues as well this year.
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:13 pm

Generally through NRL.com? Any idea when the app goes live for this year?
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Yeah that is the one for the most part everyone plays. Not sure about when the App is released as I don't use it. JStands, Krump and Pain I believe use it frequently so they might know.
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 pm

So is the website available to start yet?
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:24 pm

So is the website available to start yet?
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:26 pm

the NRL one? Yeah, it is up and running. https://fantasy.nrl.com and here is our current fantasy thread - https://www.nrlfantasyfanatics.com/t152p60-2016-nrl-com-fantasy-thread-part-4
    Sik
    Sik

Post by Sik Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks mate. I'll get into getting my team then I'll post it up? Is there a thread for posting teams, or start a new one?
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:36 pm

The thread I linked you to is a general NRL Fantasy thread, and you can post your team or ask for advice in specific areas.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:26 pm

Sik wrote:First time poster...

Been doing fantasy for 3 years now. Sportsbet 2013 and 2014, and NRL Fantasy in 2015.

Looking to improve. I normally make the top 4 in my comp, however I struggle picking a good first up team. I generally burn lots of trades at the beginning of the season to improve my team, but by then I generally fall behind. I did make top 250 in one round last year in NRL, and made to 100 3 or 4 times with Sportsbet. But I want to be better and get there more often.

Cheers Justin

Welcome Sik,

Plenty of people around here who are willing to help.
    Firstly though, saying you are top 4 in your comp doesn't tell us much, as we don't know how strong your comp is. Overall rank is what is important, even if you care more about winning your private comp than overall position you should still be able to get a decent rank.
    Also, being highly ranked in just one particular round is not that informative. Anyone can put together a half decent team that flukes a good round now and then. Consistently weekly scores is where its at.

Just have a read through the main fantasy thread, see what sort of players people are picking. More importantly, look at what reasons they give for picking them (when given)
    Come up with a team and chuck it up asking for advice, or just ask questions on specific players as they enter your mind.

In general though, nothing wrong with burning trades early on. You want to get in the cash cows and top performers you have missed, and ditch any duds you have accidentally acquired. Key is making the right trades. Always friendly people here to help you out though

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:27 pm