NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Survivor Thread 4 - Final Days - Jele Fanatic Survivor Champion 2020

robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Survivor Thread 4 - Final Days - Jele Fanatic Survivor Champion 2020 - Page 6 Empty Re: Survivor Thread 4 - Final Days - Jele Fanatic Survivor Champion 2020

Post by robelgordo Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:03 am

They were both pretty epic. Just reading the main threads you get a sense of a bit of stuff happening but nowhere near the efforts everyone was putting into this.
    wolfking
    wolfking
    Fanatics Immortal

Survivor Thread 4 - Final Days - Jele Fanatic Survivor Champion 2020 - Page 6 Empty Re: Survivor Thread 4 - Final Days - Jele Fanatic Survivor Champion 2020

Post by wolfking Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 am

robelgordo wrote:They were both pretty epic. Just reading the main threads you get a sense of a bit of stuff happening but nowhere near the efforts everyone was putting into this.

The whole thing was amazing. B/L is an absolute legend.
    DarkKnight
    DarkKnight

Post by DarkKnight Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:02 pm

Congrats on making the final guys. Kinda glad now I didn’t make Jury as it’s very hard to pick a winner. I think Wolfie you were a good chance of being voted out had there not been the tribe swap. If Widow did give you an idol to play that would have been interesting. With voting mods early it was more a case of thinking that they will surely link up and vote us out so lets be one step ahead. I always thought you would not stay with us and align with the mods down the line.
    Jumping Marlin
    Jumping Marlin

Post by Jumping Marlin Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:25 am

Well done Jele & Wolfie. Nice opening pitches too. Like others have said, making it hard. I’m glad $1m bucks isn’t on the line...

I’m looking forward to the q&a. [If you’ve never watched survivor, at least every season a few of the jury get stuck into the final two when “asking their qn”, which can be entertaining or cringeworthy. I’m wondering if anyone will take that role.]

Good luck
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:47 am

4 of the 9 have missed tonights deadline so I will extend for 24 hours.

Everyone of you have opened my PM's so get your shit together.

I know Jele & Wolfie are eager to answer the questions.
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:51 am

I also want to come clean and confirm SI was not voted out, he left voluntarily as he did not want to turn on anyone.

A few members were paranoid it was a ploy and put votes on him anyway just in case (Would of been an absolute boss and winning move however if he was in fact playing silly buggers)

I made the decision to post the votes which SI was not happy with, but its a decision I stand by.

If anyone who has PM'ed me a question relating to SI's elimination want to edit their question now. Please send me a new PM.
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Wait so SI quit?
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:23 pm

robelgordo wrote:They were both pretty epic. Just reading the main threads you get a sense of a bit of stuff happening but nowhere near the efforts everyone was putting into this.

Oh my god it was so much fun. Definitely jump in next year.
    Jumping Marlin
    Jumping Marlin

Post by Jumping Marlin Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:26 am

B/L wrote:I also want to come clean and confirm SI was not voted out, he left voluntarily as he did not want to turn on anyone.

A few members were paranoid it was a ploy and put votes on him anyway just in case (Would of been an absolute boss and winning move however if he was in fact playing silly buggers)

I made the decision to post the votes which SI was not happy with, but its a decision I stand by.

If anyone who has PM'ed me a question relating to SI's elimination want to edit their question now. Please send me a new PM.

affraid

Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:37 am

RandomSil wrote:Wait so SI quit?

If anyone hasn't voted on Filth's forum awards yet, this here shoul dcement him as forum softcock

"Quitting a survivor game because he didn't want to vote against anyone"

Are we sure he wasn't Ned Flanders just praying that nobody got hurt.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:39 am

Milchcow wrote:
    RandomSil wrote:Wait so SI quit?

If anyone hasn't voted on Filth's forum awards yet, this here shoul dcement him as forum softcock

You say this like there was any doubt prior Very Happy ?
    Jele
    Jele

NFL Fantasy L1 Champion : 2019
    NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2020

Post by Jele Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:27 am

Milchcow wrote:

Personally I prefer the "Mulvy, Wolfie and Jele must be such good blokes" interpretation.
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:53 am

jelejasof wrote:

Personally I prefer the "Mulvy, Wolfie and Jele must be such good blokes" interpretation.

Flip Off Flip Off Flip Off
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:56 am

Ok The Final 2 have been given their questions to answer.

I have given them 48 hours to respond.

I aim to have all answers posted in here either Thursday night or Friday afternoon.

I will then give Jury members 48 hours to deliberate and make their votes.

I would appreciate if all Jury members kept their votes to themselves until after the finale.

I am setting the Finale for 8pm Monday so I would appreciate if as many people are on here spamming the thread during the finale Very Happy
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:45 am

Wolfie

SI - You literally had to play the game "one week at a time" for the majority of your stay due to your alliance thinning via non returning players. Do you think you would have stayed loyal to your alliance or were you seeing a big play in yourself at some stage had it remained strong?

You are right SI, I did have to play one week at a time it felt during this whole game. As I mentioned I was potentially looking at a big play once it came down to I think 6 or 7 of us. Jele and I knew we may potentially have been on the bottom outside your top 5 alliance being the swing votes. I was thinking of a big play when MS came knocking. That was my chance. If that didn't eventuate, I think I would have tried to feel out a big play. Perhaps through Mulvy would have been my best bet. I know Welshy was all loyalty but Mulvy and I had discussed a potential big play when numbers dwindled if it came down to it. I was close to trying approaching him to make a move. MS's proposal came just at the right time however.

Mattnz - My assumption that you would end up joining the Widow mods and their alliance against Minto was 100% correct. There was an opportunity where we could have thrown a challenge to vote you out just before merge. I was being strongly encouraged to do it, but wouldn't do it on principle. The following round, those that you teamed with eventually, did the exact same thing by throwing a challenge. What would you have thought of Minto deliberately throwing the challenge the round before?

Honestly Matt, I would have had zero problem with Minto throwing a challenge. This is survivor and it's part of the game. If you guys were close to throwing a challenge to get me out, then my inclinations were correct in that I was never safe with you and DK in your alliance in the first place, so my thinking was warranted. I was all in with you guys at the very very start, but felt uneasy pretty early on. Looks like the way I sided was the right way after all. We didn't have any direct communication which for me was an issue Matt and made me feel a bit uneasy early on. Being against throwing challenges because of principle is very noble of you mate and shows your character but progressing in the game, especially in survivor, there really has to be no restrictions and nothing off limits. The way we were travelling however, we never really needed to 'throw' a challenge I would have thought, we were losing every week. I did see you as a threat though to your credit mate, and why I tried to push to get you out.

JM - when did you learn Jele had won the idol? If not from Jele, did that give you pause for thought as to whether you'd continue to work with him? What do you think would have happened if SI stayed in the game?

JM, you were the first to give me an indication Jele might have had won it and given it to SI. Obviously the same PM about you having your own idol is how I found out. This didn't sway me working with him one bit. Survivor is about your own game and it would be silly to devulge every secret to someone you put your trust in. If SI stayed in the game the final four would have been interesting for sure. We didn't get much of a chance to discuss once the final four were confirmed because SI announced right away that he was leaving to us. The only thing Jele and I discussed to each other is that he was closer to SI but I was closer to Mulvy. If it came down to it, it would have been possibly a split vote, or I had a hard decision to vote Mulvy if SI and Jele were going that way. It would have been interesting to see which way SI would have voted but that never eventuated. If Jele or I were in trouble, we would have told each other I believe, so either of us would have seen a blindside coming. Although, going against each other never came into my realm of thinking.

FS - sloths sleep a lot of the day so some of the tribals were to late for me, I thought you were destined to be the next voted out, how did you manage to make final two?

I'm not sure on the timeline you are referring to here in regards to 'next voted out,' and this is quite a generalised question however, if you mean once it got down to 3 of us, Jele and I as I said have been tight for a long time. Both wouldn't have gotten to the final 2 without the other. Jele could have taken Mulvy to the final two and I would have been okay with that, but we've stuck solid since we teamed up and was always going to be loyal to each other. I never would have voted against him and if I won the challenge, I would have taken him to the final two also. Your question of me being destined to go and making the final two I take as a compliment mate and I think means I played the game well.

Mulvy - your submission barely references any challenges. You were part of the Minto team that lost challenge after challenge, and at least a couple of your immunity wins later on were from when others were throwing challenges or when we colluded against MS. Doesn't your record compared to Jele, weaken your chances of claiming sole survivor?

Possibly, but that's up to everyone and their take on who is a more deserving winner and the criteria behind it. Some might say it would strengthen my chances as I've survived more tribals and got through more adversity than Jele. I feel I've run much more of a gaunlet to get here. I didn't reference any challenges because as you said, we lost week after week. There was only a couple of times I really let the team down with challenges, but quite a few times I was a decent performer. I always tried in challenges but early on, it was deflating for us losing most weeks. That does question the effort you put in, but after merge, I tried hard in challenges. I was a heavy focal point in the challenges in Minto and I also didn't like the fact that mod affiliates were getting targeted when there were others in the alliance not contributing to the challenges at all. That always rubbed me the wrong way, but didn't seem an issue to teh Minto alliance. I feel there's no real point brining up challenges in Minto that we lost becuase it meant nothing and wouldn't be fair to the other tribe members that put a solid effort into it. It just meant more of the likes of Chewie, Random etc. were getting voted out week after week, and sometimes, they were going when they put more effort into the result over others. I always made sure I contributed sometimes staying up late to have input even though, I always had a target on my back.

Welshy - How far do you think you were carried by opposition camp members?

I'm gauging by your question mate that you feel I was helped along quite a bit. I don't think I was carried any more than anyone else truthfully. When alliances are strong, does that not also carry certain individuals? Isn't it smart to get carried in some part of this game? The game is about outwitting and outlasting others. If that means letting others do the work at some stage and go along for the ride, then so be it. Being near the bottom of a couple of alliances made things trickier I feel but at the same time, I was the swing vote so many times. I knew even though I wasn't in the core of an alliance playing both sides and being a swing vote gave me some security and allowed me vote where it was needed each week. I appreicate the work you guys did for me during the tribe swap and beyond, I'll never underestimate that or play that down, but again, isn't that part of the game of Survivor? I apologise if you feel betrayed mate, as I said that's the one part I regret. I have a feeling I know which way you'll vote, but I appreciated our friendship and talks.

Chucky - in your pitch you state, “SI’s departure also helped me truthfully but that’s another story.”
    What is the story?

Because SI put his hand up and quit which means we didn't have to vote. It wasn't public knowledge that SI quit and I didn't want to state that in my argument as it wasn't palyed out that way. B/L obviously made that public knowledge now. As I mentioned above, it looked like it may have been a split vote with Jele siding with SI and me siding with Mulvy, so it would have been tricky. It also meant I was safe, so that was just because of how it played out with SI wanting to leave.

MS - Why do you think you deserve the title of sole survivor despite never being in control of the game?

If you think I was never in control of the game then that makes my case of making it to the final two and being sole survivor even stronger. Although, I was a swing vote so much through that back end. There was only one tribal where Chewie got the vote that my name had been written down. I think that says something, I believe from memory every other tribal, my name wasn't written down once. I felt Jele and myself had a lot of control moving through truthfully. As I mentioned, I was thinking of a big play when you came knocking mate. I couldn't pass that opportunity up. I played on circumstance and timing also. If anything, I'd say I was in control for a lot of the game when I was the swing vote. I wonder if the same question is posted to Jele. Was he never in control of the game either then?

Teeth - o be totally honest, I am really not sure where to put my vote. From the outside, and kind of confirmed in your pitches, you played similar games and obviously worked as a pair in what seems to be most of the decisions made in the second part of the game... so how does one split you guys? You also came from similar beginnings in your original tribes, so that's hard to split too. So as cliche as it is - and I don't want you to turn on each other or anything distasteful - and sorry to be that guy... but why do you each think you deserve to be the sole survivor ahead of your compadre that sits alongside you?

Thanks Teeth for the compliment and I hold Jele in the highest regard. He was a great companion in so much of the game in the late part. Yeah, if I was voting, it would be 50/50. If he wins, he deserves it and as I said, if there's one person I'd be happy to lose to, it would be him. Why should I win over him though? If I had to say anything, I'd put it back to the fight and work I had to put in early on. Minto lost challenge after challenge, and that was bloody stressful as you well know mate. You know I was on the outside of your alliance because I was keeping my options open. I tried with you to swing on DK and Matt and I know you wanted to, but we couldn't make it happen in fear of not having the numbers, and that was warranted when we were losing week after week, I get you'd want the reassurance. I never really asked Jele about early days of Widow too much but winning challenges is much easier in surviving the game over losing.

I also feel I may have had more connections with others in the later stages of when we were flipping and whatnot. I could be totally wrong though. I think I may have had more communication with most in regards to the game but again, I could be way off the pace. So in answer, I feel I've dodged more bullets than Jele, but again, that might mean he did a better job and is more deserving. That's up to you guys to decide that.
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:46 am

Jele

SI - You were flying both solo and under the radar for a long time Jele but forged a couple of tight relationships. To put you on the spot, would you have chosen myself or Wolfie if it came down to us as the Final 3?

For a bloke that doesn’t like making things difficult for people, you obviously don’t mind making things difficult for people! No doubt it would have been a tough call – as you say I forged some really strong relationships through the game. Although I knew come the end game there were bound to be a few tough calls.

It’s easy to make any claim in a hypothetical situation to try and curry support, but I don’t think my decision would come as a surprise to anyone. I would have backed the guy who’d worked hardest to earn my trust. You were a great confidante and excellent moral compass throughout the game. But your heart wasn’t in it and by the end I don’t think you wanted to be there. I’d like to think I would have been doing you a favour by letting you go. And anyway, if I told you I wasn’t going to vote for you, I could hardly have voted for you for the final two, right? Wink

Mattnz – What do you see as the key to being able to play the game under the radar, which clearly helped your game?

I’d say it was a combination of things. Being involved in so many challenge wins, I was waiting to get noticed. But it was only in the last few rounds that MS finally earmarked me as a threat.

Early in the game it was about making contributions to challenges and being a useful tribe member. Later, it was about building relationships which I knew I could fall back on. And towards the end, it was about being in control –keeping the idol up my sleeve and removing those tribe members who I wasn’t sure I could trust.

In a football and fantasy sense, I’d say I was this year’s Patrick Carrigan. A strong, solid contributor in the early stages of the year, but my stock rose steadily throughout the season, until I was an integral part of everybody’s team. Let’s just hope my last game doesn’t end up like the Broncos season.

JM - who did you give your idol to and why? I believe it was to SI. If it was SI, what would you have done if he did not walk away from the game? Would it be you and SI in the final 2 instead?

Yes, I gave it to SI. You’ll recall I told you at the time I won it and discussed giving it to you. But B/L told me an idol couldn’t be played across tribal lines and we were in different tribes at the time.

Choosing SI was one of the smartest moves I made. The demonstration of trust in passing him my idol earnt me trust in return and a valuable assurance of protection (and stream of information) from the mods alliance at that stage of the game.

FS - both you and Wolfie stuck together post tribal, so what sets you apart?

I guess I would say it was my control of the game. Looking back, I think I was only on the wrong side of one or two votes all game. I didn’t rely on luck, nor was I saved by the tribes being switched at the right time. If anything the tribe switch hurt me. But even as a newcomer in Minto, I survived there just as well as I had in Black Widow.

I planned my approach, competed hard in challenges and executed my strategies. When my plan for a loose alliance in the middle didn’t eventuate, I pivoted successfully to a swing vote strategy. Early in the game I realised I didn’t need to be first, I just needed not to be last. And as we moved into the second half of the year, I shifted gear and basically knew I was headed to final two from about five weeks out.

Mulvy - Is it not the case that Wolfy having survived Minto, manipulating the Welshy vote "blamelessly" while preserving the next target in JM, flipping on Chucky with MS and knowing the true identity of Ned Flanders, is in a much better position to claim the title of sole survivor?

For sure Wolfie played a great game, but I would say I had every one of those plays covered.

Where Wolfie survived Minto, I survived both Minto and Black Widow.

Where Wolfie was in the minority alliance early on Minto, I found myself on the outer of both alliances in Black Widow, and still survived.

Where JM engaged Wolfie on the Welshy vote, JM and I had been tight since the beginning, and I don’t think anyone ever found out.

Where Wolfie flipped on Chucky with MS, Wolfie only did so when we agreed to do it together. And maybe, just maybe, the seed for that big move had been planted by my message to MS the week before questioning the relative support within the mods alliance, at a time when everyone else assumed they were sailing scot free into the end game.

And that doesn’t count my own flips, such as on Pookus when I learnt he planned to hang me out to dry.

As for Ned, well I’ve always liked Moe better anyway.

Welshy - how does the crown fit?

Ha! Happy to take the title if the votes go my way. All I can say is that if I win it, I would have earnt it climbing on the shoulders of giants.

Proud of the way I played and no regrets either.

Chucky - What were the underhanded tactics you referred to in your pitch, that brought SI on board?

Convincing SI to take part in some shenanigans to rig the second auction game was surprisingly easy, given MS was the target. As it was, I proposed a number of tactics to undermine MS’ efforts at survival, from sharing bids to apportioning forwards ($110k for Haas anyone?) to calculating the bid size needed on each of the gun backs. I even sacrificed my ability to pick a whole team with a bid on a third half I didn’t need, to ensure MS fell far short of a full team (a play I could afford to make with the idol in my back pocket). Ensuring MS couldn’t get immunity pretty much guaranteed he would be voted out, which was a big revenge play that even SI was able to get on board with.

MS - What is your biggest regret in the game?

To be honest I’m not sure I’ve got one. I played the game my way the whole time and didn’t have to compromise on my principles or deviate much from my strategy to get through. I guess I could say I regret playing the idol in the last possible round when I didn’t actually need to. SI and I finally agreed to play it about 5 minutes before the vote because why the fuck not. But in hindsight the call would have been not to play it all.

Teeth - To be totally honest, I am really not sure where to put my vote. From the outside, and kind of confirmed in your pitches, you played similar games and obviously worked as a pair in what seems to be most of the decisions made in the second part of the game... so how does one split you guys? You also came from similar beginnings in your original tribes, so that's hard to split too. So as cliche as it is - and I don't want you to turn on each other or anything distasteful - and sorry to be that guy... but why do you each think you deserve to be the sole survivor ahead of your compadre that sits alongside you?

Having watched and read everything, you’re right there’s not much to split Wolfie and me through the second part of the game.

In the end though this was a fantasy-based survivor comp, and I think my performances in the actual fantasy challenges are probably what sets me apart. Winner of 11 challenges through the year. Challenge winner in Black Widow, Minto and individually. Idol winner. First player through to the final two.

Wolfie did an amazing job making it to the final two after being on the brink of elimination and in spite of being at tribal a dozen times.

But I made it to the final two, while rarely facing tribal. Without ever being on the brink of elimination. Without ever having to climb up off the canvas. Without ever having to promise my vote or support just to stay in the hunt.

Wolfie did great. But I’d say I was the one who played the game best. Outplaying, outwitting, outlasting. Ultimately that’s why I deserve to be the sole survivor.
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:48 am

Ok Members of the Jury.

2 Very good responses to some very well thought out questions.

I am very impressed with the Jury's questioning and the responses that came with them.

Please take the time to read through both responses and make your own choice on who you believe deserves the title as Fanatics Sole Survivor.

Vote deadline is 7pm Monday, The Final will take place at 8pm and I hope everyone of you is online for it.

Happy for discussion in the thread but please keep your vote to yourself including demonstrating who you are likely to vote for in this thread into the finale.

See you all Monday Very Happy

Survivor Thread 4 - Final Days - Jele Fanatic Survivor Champion 2020 - Page 6 Giphy
    multiple.scoregasms
    multiple.scoregasms

Post by multiple.scoregasms Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:53 am

Very tough to split lads
    I think this will be a close vote
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:33 am

multiple.scoregasms wrote:Very tough to split lads
    I think this will be a close vote

Yeah, I agree. I'm going to have to re-read it all and see how I end this thing. I think I'm swaying a little more one way at the minute, but I'll sit on it a few days and make sure I breathe everything in before casting that final vote.

Good luck to the both of you.
    Teeth Eater
    Teeth Eater

Post by Teeth Eater Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:34 am

Survivor Thread 4 - Final Days - Jele Fanatic Survivor Champion 2020 - Page 6 Giphy

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am