NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NSW Blues

Pieman
    Pieman

NSW Blues - Page 22 Empty Re: NSW Blues

Post by Pieman Tue May 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Woods is soft and merely a stat accumulator at the best of times.

Selecting him after an injury layoff, ahead of an in form Fifita would make me very happy as a QLDer and would be utterly moronic at best.

It is also exactly what I suspect NSW will do.

I agree somewhat but he most certainly has improved recently. His origin series last year was pretty good.
    If he is back this weekend or next, his lay off wont really affect his origin selection.

Would I take Fifita over him? 100% - start Tamou and have fifita on the bench.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue May 10, 2016 12:45 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Woods is soft and merely a stat accumulator at the best of times.

Selecting him after an injury layoff, ahead of an in form Fifita would make me very happy as a QLDer and would be utterly moronic at best.

It is also exactly what I suspect NSW will do.

Agreed. I reckon Gallen should play prop in rep games (he does that pretty well), and him and Woods should be competing for the same spot with Gallen winning. In my opinion they should be be playing the reliable hit it up prop role for 55-60 minutes. You have 160 minutes to get out of props and I think the 3 other props should be able to share 100-110 minutes comfortably, and hopefully with some impact. Clearly Tamou, Klemmer and Fafita do that role much better than Woods and all would typically play well over 40 minutes anyway. An impact second rower and a utility should be enough to cover the bench then, and if injury strikes, or the backrower get tired you can easily put Gallen in the backrow and increase the other 3 prop's minutes.

I think Woods is a powder puff, but he has gone better the last couple of years. Unlucky for him that I think he should only be considered if Gallen is injured. I also think if Gallen is injured he should be close to the first prop picked to because he is the next best NSW prop in that role.

With the backrow you have to get 240 minutes out of them. I can't even think of 1 potential candidate who you wouldn't get 60 minutes out of, between the 3 starters and 1 bench role. That leaves the bench spot for the utility. I don't know why you'd save a spot for a 20 minute forward, particularly one who is good because of their motor, not their impact (Merrin comes to mind).

As a Queenslander, the pack and bench I would least like to face is (might have missed a couple in the backrow):
    8. Gallen
    9. Farah
    10. Tamou
    11. Cartwright (But you have to pick Beau Scott if you pick a speed bump like Moloney in the halves, otherwise you'll be chasing 30. Okay if you have halves who are okay defensively)
    12. Cordner/Merrin
    13. Bird (I think his time has passed, but lets face it, you get free reign to be a cunt in origin, and he's as good at it as anyone

14. Whoever is the best utility. There is no standouts ala Craig Wing. Maybe it's Austin, Wighton or Josh Reynolds, even if they do end spending 80 on the pine
    15. Fifita
    16. Klemmer
    17. Whoever is next best. Maybe even someone like Luke Lewis (not that he will be picked). In my team it would be Merrin with Cordner starting.

Edit: Would probably actually start with Merrin and Cartwright on the bench.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 16, 2016 9:25 am

So if Farah is out that means Ennis is the hooker...... which I dont have a HUGE problem with.
    What I still want is a bench hooker/utility tho.

JReynolds/Peats/Peach/Jack Bird - someone who can actually provide a spark.

The more I watch Sezer player the more I like him too.
    He's a deadset gun.

With the ? over Hodkinson, without Pearce, I think that Sezer and Maloney could be a really good pairing, but I still thing the pair will be Maloney and GBird.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 16, 2016 9:34 am

At this stage im thinking the team will be

Woods
    Farah (Ennis if Farah cant go)
    Tamou
    Hoffman
    Scott
    Gallen

Maloney
    G Bird
    Hoppa
    Jennings
    Jmoz
    Fergo
    Dugan

Cordner
    Merrin
    Jackson
    Klemmer

Near identical to last year, and I hate it.

I would love to see a lot more youth injected into the side, but cant see Loz making too many changes.

I know ive done this a few times, but its fun speculating so shut up

I wouldnt mind seeing

Coote (Tedesco if he is healthy)
    Roberts
    Jennings
    Dugan
    Fergo
    Maloney
    Sezer
    Tamou
    Farah (Ennis if farah cant go)
    Gallen
    Graham
    Friz
    G Bird

Peats or Peachy or coote
    Carty
    Fifita
    Klemmer

QLD have been picking their best players and fitting them in the team for years and years.
    NSW should be doing it too.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Mon May 16, 2016 9:39 am

When does the Hayne for Blues talk start?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 16, 2016 9:44 am

ryno_ wrote:When does the Hayne for Blues talk start?

Haha does he have to be registered to a club to play?
    I know aflie was playing in the super league but was he registered to the broncos by the time he actually played his comeback series?

How good would it be if they did an SOS for hayne for origin. Epic
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Mon May 16, 2016 9:53 am

Pieman wrote:

Haha does he have to be registered to a club to play?
    I know aflie was playing in the super league but was he registered to the broncos by the time he actually played his comeback series?

How good would it be if they did an SOS for hayne for origin. Epic

I think he would have to have a player contract... players association wouldnt let a player without insurances etc play, surely? Unless their power doesnt extend to Origin, which is under the ARL banner and not NRL?
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon May 16, 2016 10:13 am

Titans have the room in their cap to sign Hayne
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon May 16, 2016 10:14 am

ryno_ wrote:

I think he would have to have a player contract... players association wouldnt let a player without insurances etc play, surely? Unless their power doesnt extend to Origin, which is under the ARL banner and not NRL?

players association and power in the same sentence. You're a funny guy
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Mon May 16, 2016 10:23 am

Your Name wrote:

players association and power in the same sentence. You're a funny guy

Fair point.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 16, 2016 1:27 pm

ryno_ wrote:

I reckon could surely get insurance to play origin pretty easily...

Dip

Post by Dip Mon May 16, 2016 1:39 pm

Firstly let me say that i think it would be great publicity for the game if he did get the SOS like Langer did. Mind you it's only great publicity if the team wins.

I know the Fiji 7's are a crack team, but you'd think he'll make it given they supposedly approached him. I don't think he'd change to 7's without some sort of guarantee he'll be there, so I'm guessing the only thing that would stop him would be injury or the WADA issue. If he can't play due to either of those things, then that's going to rule him out of Origin anyway.

Being registered for a club by origin time would merely be a formality you'd reckon. If Parra can cut $570K in a fortnight, someone will be able to ditch a player for a 2 time Dally M winner who'd be close to the most marketable player in the game. Allegedly the Roosters are $500K under the cap in case Hayne were to come back.

If by some chance he doesn't make the Fiji 7's team, I reckon the ARU would have an open chequebook to have him play with them.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Mon May 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Pieman wrote:

I reckon could surely get insurance to play origin pretty easily...

And just where would he play? He wouldn't be fit enough for NRL let alone origin.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon May 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Krump wrote:
    And just where would he play? He wouldn't be fit enough for NRL let alone origin.

Off the bench utility
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon May 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Krump wrote:

If history is anything to go by, he'd be controversially left out of the side for some chopper like Joel Monaghan before getting a recall on the wing for games 2 & 3.

I reckon he'd be at match fitness very quickly, but if there is any doubt about him being able to handle the fitness of fullback, you'd put him at centre.

All hypothetical though. He is exactly zero chance of playing origin.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Mon May 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Krump wrote:

Exactly.

The bloke is no Langer, so these suggestions are just ridiculous.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Mon May 16, 2016 1:56 pm

NSW also wouldn't cheat the rules to win, we have more respect for the fabric of the game.
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon May 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Honeysett wrote:NSW also wouldn't cheat the rules to win, we have more respect for the fabric of the game.

There's been plenty of times over the last decade when I'm sure the players didn't even know what the game was let alone the fabric of it.
    Ice

Post by Ice Mon May 16, 2016 3:45 pm

Dip wrote:

If history is anything to go by, he'd be controversially left out of the side for some chopper like Joel Monaghan before getting a recall on the wing for games 2 & 3.

I reckon he'd be at match fitness very quickly, but if there is any doubt about him being able to handle the fitness of fullback, you'd put him at centre.

All hypothetical though. He is exactly zero chance of playing origin.

This first sentence is very true and shows the follies of NSW way the last decade.

Because, to the question of where he should play, the last few years clearly demonstrates that when an Origin game is LIVE (not a dead rubber) and Hayne is selected in the 1, he wins.

I'd pick him tomorrow and lock him in for the 1 without any hesitation.

Post by Guest Mon May 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Can Hayne be selected for NSW this year?

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am