NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    Community team 2020

    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 13604
    Reputation : 6549
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Community team 2020 Empty Community team 2020

    Post by Milchcow on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:50 am


    Kick start some discussion here.

    We were pretty successful last year, so I am not sure if we want to make any major changes to the way the team is run. but if you do have ideas shout out.

    Might be advantageous to have a couple of people with team logons from the starft to make sure we can cater for late team changes as best as possible. Spreading out over timezones would help as well - so if you want to volunteer do so here
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 13604
    Reputation : 6549
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Milchcow on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 am


    For initial team selection

    Last year people sent in votes for their preferred 21 with weights towards the players they were most keen on.
    Happy to go with that again, but if people have ideas, then speak up.


    One other possibility I have thought about
    We could come up with a shortlist of 50 players or so - and then everyone who wants to can plug in their estimated average for each of those players, and we can compile an average of everyone's predictions to work out the team we collectively think will average the most
    This would involve a bit more work, but I'm happy to compile all the guesses.

    Any other suggestions welcome
    mattnz
    mattnz

    Posts : 4242
    Reputation : 1099
    Join date : 2018-03-11

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by mattnz on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:15 pm

    Has anyone confirmed with the organiser of the celeb teams Comp that we plan to enter again this season?
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 13604
    Reputation : 6549
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Milchcow on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:20 pm


    Yes, there will be a celeb league.

    (But even if there wasn't we could still enter and run a team jointly run by members)
    Chewie
    Chewie

    Posts : 7306
    Reputation : 3700
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Location : Millennium Falcon

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Chewie on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:39 pm

    I like the shortlist of 50 players idea. There are a number of players that are in most people's teams.
    We can pick from the top 10 options in each position.
    mattnz
    mattnz

    Posts : 4242
    Reputation : 1099
    Join date : 2018-03-11

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by mattnz on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:47 pm

    @Milchcow wrote:
    For initial team selection

    Last year people sent in votes for their preferred 21 with weights towards the players they were most keen on.
    Happy to go with that again, but if people have ideas, then speak up.


    One other possibility I have thought about
    We could come up with a shortlist of 50 players or so - and then everyone who wants to can plug in their estimated average for each of those players, and we can compile an average of everyone's predictions to work out the team we collectively think will average the most
    This would involve a bit more work, but I'm happy to compile all the guesses.

    Any other suggestions welcome

    The 2nd approach could be easily gamed to stop the selection of some players even if the majority wanted them. A ranking of 1 through 50 with 50 being most wanted player may work better.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 13604
    Reputation : 6549
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Milchcow on Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:15 pm

    @mattnz wrote:

    The 2nd approach could be easily gamed to stop the selection of some players even if the majority wanted them. A ranking of 1 through 50 with 50 being most wanted player may work better.

    Other than yourself, nobody really games the selection process.

    And if people put suggestions in that Bradman Best will average 80 points a week, or Damien Cook will average 10, then it will be very easy to just ignore those votes.

    Last year, enough people voted on our starting team that it was basically impossible for any one person to influence votes. There may be a couple of fringe players on the cusp of selection, but it is not anything I would be concerned with
    code delta
    code delta

    Posts : 2663
    Reputation : 1303
    Join date : 2016-05-05

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by code delta on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:48 pm

    @Milchcow wrote:

    Might be advantageous to have a couple of people with team logons from the starft to make sure we can cater for late team changes as best as possible. Spreading out over timezones would help as well - so if you want to volunteer do so here

    You can put me on the list if you don't get enough takers. Magical Mudgee means E.S.Time. I generally am around and watching for late team changes.
    jelejasof
    jelejasof

    NFL Fantasy L1 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 622
    Reputation : 108
    Join date : 2015-12-25

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by jelejasof on Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 pm

    Thanks for getting this rolling again and happy to help out in any way.

    Won’t ranking a top 50 based on averages just end up with a team that smashes the salary cap? Even if you include popular cheapies. Or am I missing something?
    Chewie
    Chewie

    Posts : 7306
    Reputation : 3700
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Location : Millennium Falcon

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Chewie on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 pm

    @jelejasof wrote:Thanks for getting this rolling again and happy to help out in any way.

    Won’t ranking a top 50 based on averages just end up with a team that smashes the salary cap? Even if you include popular cheapies. Or am I missing something?

    It would be a top 50 of players based on popularity on this forum.
    I reckon we should start with a Captaincy poll.
    Then maybe do a poll to pick how many guns we want in the team, and then build around that. I've managed to fit 3 guns in my draft atm (not including Friend and Papenhuyzen)
    RandomSil
    RandomSil
    Moderator

    Posts : 7572
    Reputation : 1689
    Join date : 2015-01-12
    Age : 27

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by RandomSil on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:44 pm

    I personally like the 21 picks with weighted selections as it was just easier and allowed us to submit post TLT so we dont stress about selections.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 13604
    Reputation : 6549
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Milchcow on Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:09 pm

    @jelejasof wrote:Thanks for getting this rolling again and happy to help out in any way.

    Won’t ranking a top 50 based on averages just end up with a team that smashes the salary cap? Even if you include popular cheapies. Or am I missing something?

    Obviously we will pick a team that fits within the salary cap

    But that applies whether we pick the team on assumed averages, weighted rankings or poll or whatever. We will just pick the cap compliant team that maximises whatever system we use to rank players

    One of the reasons I wouldn't mind averaging out estimated averages, is that I think the resultant info would be useful for. Its the sort of situation where wisdom of crowds can produce useful results (assuming everyone comes up with their estimates independently) I'd publish the full results so people can use them to help with their own teams
    jelejasof
    jelejasof

    NFL Fantasy L1 Champion : 2019
    Posts : 622
    Reputation : 108
    Join date : 2015-12-25

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by jelejasof on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:36 pm

    Fair enough - it does sound like a useful data set, although last year’s system worked well in the end I thought. Why not both? Get the top 50 done before TLT to inform the weighted 21 picks between TLT and the first match of the season.
    GreenMachine
    GreenMachine

    Posts : 3267
    Reputation : 1123
    Join date : 2016-02-07
    Age : 39
    Location : Isle of Man

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by GreenMachine on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:38 am

    Just start running a bunch of positional polls with a structure?

    E.g.
    WFB in 3 sets;
    Gun
    Mid range
    Cash cow

    CTR
    Mid range
    Cash cow

    Half
    Gun
    Mid range

    Etc etc
    Verbal Kint
    Verbal Kint

    Posts : 4252
    Reputation : 2101
    Join date : 2017-03-28
    Age : 69
    Location : Climbing out of a very dark place

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Verbal Kint on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:43 am

    @Milchcow wrote:
    For initial team selection

    Last year people sent in votes for their preferred 21 with weights towards the players they were most keen on.
    Happy to go with that again, but if people have ideas, then speak up.


    One other possibility I have thought about
    We could come up with a shortlist of 50 players or so - and then everyone who wants to can plug in their estimated average for each of those players, and we can compile an average of everyone's predictions to work out the team we collectively think will average the most
    This would involve a bit more work, but I'm happy to compile all the guesses.

    Any other suggestions welcome

    I think I prefer the 21 approach. It'll deliver a cookie cutter as we know.

    I'm not sure how the shortlist would work tbh. How many rookies or centres will be on there- not many I expect (for example). I do like this idea for a broader forum resource though.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 4832
    Reputation : 1269
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:03 pm

    Last year worked, I reckon just do the same again. Need to get a core group together though to manage it. Might even pay to try and get 4 people, so that committing to the whole season isnt necessary?? We had three last year, but it was basically Captain Ranta in the first half, then Milch and Me second half....
    Ben Marlin
    Ben Marlin

    Posts : 917
    Reputation : 285
    Join date : 2019-05-19

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Ben Marlin on Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:03 am

    I like the idea of putting all of our predicted averages for 50 players and working out the best team from there!
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

    Posts : 4832
    Reputation : 1269
    Join date : 2016-03-09

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Rippin and Tearin on Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:13 am

    @Ben Marlin wrote:I like the idea of putting all of our predicted averages for 50 players and working out the best team from there!

    Trouble with that is I'd say only about 20% of people on here (maybe less) do that level of analysis. Im actually struggling this year to find the time to do my analysis. I think I've only looked at about 30 players so far.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 13604
    Reputation : 6549
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Milchcow on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:00 pm


    Team has been created

    I just spent 5 minutes populating it with some cookie cutter picks, but we'll sort out a proper structure later.

    Looking at comments, I think the best solution for team selection will be same as last year - everyone send in a preferred 21 with weighting from 1-5 per player, and we'll grab the best squad from there.

    Last year we had a rule that only players in the starting 13 would be considered - this meant we didn't start with Blake Lawrie, but otherwise worked OK.
    Do we want to stick with that rule or open it up? There are a few popular players that are likely benched round 1 (Magoulis for one, and Billy Walters potentially could be another)
    Ben Marlin
    Ben Marlin

    Posts : 917
    Reputation : 285
    Join date : 2019-05-19

    Community team 2020 Empty Re: Community team 2020

    Post by Ben Marlin on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 pm

    @Milchcow wrote:
    Team has been created

    I just spent 5 minutes populating it with some cookie cutter picks, but we'll sort out a proper structure later.

    Looking at comments, I think the best solution for team selection will be same as last year - everyone send in a preferred 21 with weighting from 1-5 per player, and we'll grab the best squad from there.

    Last year we had a rule that only players in the starting 13 would be considered - this meant we didn't start with Blake Lawrie, but otherwise worked OK.
    Do we want to stick with that rule or open it up? There are a few popular players that are likely benched round 1 (Magoulis for one, and Billy Walters potentially could be another)
    Thanks Milchy

    Looks good!
    I think we should open up the rule so we can select bench players as well

      Current date/time is Sat May 30, 2020 9:28 pm