NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Milchy
    Milchy
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 11299
    Reputation : 5062
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Milchy on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:00 pm


    Last year I ignored Cook/Smith and started with Jake Friend, which probably would have worked out just fine if Friend didn't get injured. So I'll be looking for a similar strategy this year
    mattnz
    mattnz

    Posts : 2527
    Reputation : 622
    Join date : 2018-03-11

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by mattnz on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:32 pm

    @Honey Badger wrote:

    This is the big one for me. Whether to start with Haas or not. I'm definitely going to aim to start with him. I think if you dont start with him the temptation will be to use the extra cash to pick too many mid-range players

    Thats exactly where I am at. If there were enough high end of mid range players that are actually underpriced guns, like D Fifita then you could do it, but ones like Tevaga that would have been a great candidate for that strategy is injured. If Haas and other top guns were higher priced, it would have made the strategy more viable.
    mattnz
    mattnz

    Posts : 2527
    Reputation : 622
    Join date : 2018-03-11

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by mattnz on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:35 pm

    @Milchy wrote:

    Captain will be whoever the highest scoring player in my side is.

    Some of the extra captain points from Haas is taken up by the ownership bump to his price.
    I'm, also concerned by Haas not having a single bad round last year. That surely can't continue.
    For Haas to rise significantly in price he will have to go on the greatest run of fantasy scores ever seen. Sure it's possible, but I'm not going to bet on it

    I think Haas has upside the next few seasons. Look at a guy like Taumalolo, he didnt become a great player until his early 20s which Haas is about to enter now. Front rowers are still developing at his age. At his peak he could be getting 1 PPM playing 80 minutes.


    Last edited by mattnz on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ben Marlin
    Ben Marlin

    Posts : 831
    Reputation : 252
    Join date : 2019-05-19

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Ben Marlin on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:41 pm

    @mattnz wrote:

    Thats exactly where I am at. If there were enough high end of mid range players that are actually underpriced guns, like D Fifita then you could do it, but ones like Tevaga that would have been a great candidate for that strategy is injured. If Haas and other top guns were higher priced, it would have made the strategy more viable.
    Luke Garner
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21

    Posts : 821
    Reputation : 132
    Join date : 2019-07-24

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Rabbits21 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:43 pm

    @Ben Marlin wrote:
    Luke Garner
    I’ll be curious to see his price, big question is can he keep finding the tryline? If not he may not make much money at all if he’s priced at mid 40’s, also with Chee Kam and maybe Lawrence on the bench I can’t see him getting 80mins.

    Edit. I forgot Luciano as well, I just can’t see Garner getting more than 55-60mins.
    Ben Marlin
    Ben Marlin

    Posts : 831
    Reputation : 252
    Join date : 2019-05-19

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Ben Marlin on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:07 pm

    @Rabbits21 wrote:
    I’ll be curious to see his price, big question is can he keep finding the tryline? If not he may not make much money at all if he’s priced at mid 40’s, also with Chee Kam and maybe Lawrence on the bench I can’t see him getting 80mins.

    Edit. I forgot Luciano as well, I just can’t see Garner getting more than 55-60mins.
    Garner is by far the best edge back-rower in the club. He will definitely get 70+ minutes every week no doubt. I expect him to average about 55 and be in the origin discussion.
    Lawrence will not make the top 17 (unless there’s injuries)
    I think Chee-Kam will come on for about 20 minutes to give Leilua a rest.
    mattnz
    mattnz

    Posts : 2527
    Reputation : 622
    Join date : 2018-03-11

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by mattnz on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 pm

    Who is the person you thought was going to be a big winner in 2019, who didnt meet expectations, but you think they will get there this season instead now, while everyone else is gun shy about getting burned by them again.

    Possible options could be the likes of Croft, Friend, SST, SJ, Staggs, Moylan, Taylor, James, Stimson, Edwards, Sele, Roberts, Radley or someone else.
    Mighty Fishes
    Mighty Fishes
    Moderator

    Posts : 7311
    Reputation : 2621
    Join date : 2015-08-01
    Age : 31
    Location : ><((((*>

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Mighty Fishes on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:33 pm

    Fantasy God himself Corey Parker returning to the 9s
    Camo123
    Camo123

    Posts : 2554
    Reputation : 879
    Join date : 2019-01-30

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Camo123 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 pm

    @mattnz wrote:Who is the person you thought was going to be a big winner in 2019, who didnt meet expectations, but you think they will get there this season instead now, while everyone else is gun shy about getting burned by them again.

    Possible options could be the likes of Croft, Friend, SST, SJ, Staggs, Moylan, Taylor, James, Stimson, Edwards, Sele, Roberts, Radley or someone else.

    Sele won’t be getting redemption, he’s probably still asleep. But actually he’s unsigned by Panthers and they have better and/or younger forwards and nearly a full top 30 squad

    A few of these including SJ, Staggs, Friend had gun averages while people had them after R16 or early rounds in Friend’s case so it shouldn’t deter people from picking them from getting burnt. It’d be more because they will be priced higher now. The first 5 + James, Stimson and Edwards should be good options this year
    robelgordo
    robelgordo

    Posts : 496
    Reputation : 154
    Join date : 2019-07-08

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by robelgordo on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:11 pm

    @mattnz wrote:

    If he was getting 80 minutes at lock again, yes, but not on an edge, need to find value in your starting team.

    Bateman only played 3 games at lock and had a higher average starting in the 2nd row.
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21

    Posts : 821
    Reputation : 132
    Join date : 2019-07-24

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Rabbits21 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:11 pm

    @Ben Marlin wrote:
    Garner is by far the best edge back-rower in the club. He will definitely get 70+ minutes every week no doubt. I expect him to average about 55 and be in the origin discussion.
    Lawrence will not make the top 17 (unless there’s injuries)
    I think Chee-Kam will come on for about 20 minutes to give Leilua a rest.
    I heard rumours Leilua is struggling at training with Madge’s tough approach, no idea if there is any truth but I heard he’s just not fit at all.

    Wow Luciano and Garner starting and Lawrence out of the 17, big call!
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21

    Posts : 821
    Reputation : 132
    Join date : 2019-07-24

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Rabbits21 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17 pm

    @Camo123 wrote:

    Sele won’t be getting redemption, he’s probably still asleep. But actually he’s unsigned by Panthers and they have better and/or younger forwards and nearly a full top 30 squad

    A few of these including SJ, Staggs, Friend had gun averages while people had them after R16 or early rounds in Friend’s case so it shouldn’t deter people from picking them from getting burnt. It’d be more because they will be priced higher now. The first 5 + James, Stimson and Edwards should be good options this year
    I don’t know if I can go with Edwards again after last season, most people sold him by round 5 or so and I holded out more and more keeping the faith til round 8 or 9 and it just kept getting worse!

    He averaged 42ish if I recall so he will cost probs a little over 600k, I just dunno if there is enough value there.

    If Verrills isn’t on the bench for Rorters or gets injured in trials then I would consider Friend.

    I would want Friend playing at least 70mins and it worries me at about the 60-61min mark Robbo will take him off and play Verrills. If I got Friend I’d want him playing 80mins and averaging about 60 not playing 60-61mins and averaging around 47-48ish
    StormTrooper96
    StormTrooper96

    Posts : 5390
    Reputation : 1412
    Join date : 2018-02-26
    Age : 23
    Location : 6 Budu's for yo Ass

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by StormTrooper96 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 pm

    Doeuihi been told he is free to leave the club and look elsewhere
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21

    Posts : 821
    Reputation : 132
    Join date : 2019-07-24

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Rabbits21 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 pm

    @StormTrooper96 wrote:Doeuihi been told he is free to leave the club and look elsewhere
    The media have twisted it a bit but that’s the usual, he’s been told we are happy for him to stay but if he can get a guaranteed 1 or 6 jersey starting elsewhere then we don’t mind if he takes it and are happy for him to take the opportunity.

    What Souths won’t do though is pay part of his deal the next two years like the Tigers want us too. If they want him they’ll have to pay his full salary from here on out.

    I understand Douiehi is 450k with us this season and 550k for 2021.

    Personally I hope we don’t lose him, but if he goes I could wish him nothing but the best.
    Ben Marlin
    Ben Marlin

    Posts : 831
    Reputation : 252
    Join date : 2019-05-19

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Ben Marlin on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 pm

    @Rabbits21 wrote:
    I heard rumours Leilua is struggling at training with Madge’s tough approach, no idea if there is any truth but I heard he’s just not fit at all.

    Wow Luciano and Garner starting and Lawrence out of the 17, big call!
    Luciano may not be the fittest but he can certainly play long minutes when needed and thrives doing so.
    In his 9 starting appearances over the last 2 season he has averaged 76 minutes and 54.78 fantasy points - not bad from somebody who isn't fit.

    9 starting appearances over 2 seasons is not much but to be fair he is stuck behind two rep-level backrowers.
    Madge's tough approach can only be a good thing and should help Leilua be able to maintain his current record starting in the back row over an entire season (I don't think he will average 76 minutes over the season but I do think he'll definitely be starting).

    There's no way on earth Garner will not be starting on the left edge in round 1 (unless an injury occurs)

    Lawrence does not have the same impact off the bench as Chee-Kam (scored match-winning tries on 2 separate occasions this year) so I'm pretty sure Lawrence won't be in the Tigers best 17.
    Milchy
    Milchy
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 11299
    Reputation : 5062
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Milchy on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 pm

    @Rabbits21 wrote:
    it worries me at about the 60-61min mark Robbo will take him off and play Verrills.

    Roosters starting hookers have averaged 70 minutes over the past 2 years - but I guess they probably want to improve on recent performances so good chance their coach might shake things up with how the side runs.
    Milchy
    Milchy
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 11299
    Reputation : 5062
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Milchy on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:13 pm

    @Rabbits21 wrote:
    I heard rumours Leilua is struggling at training with Madge’s tough approach, no idea if there is any truth but I heard he’s just not fit at all.

    Wow Luciano and Garner starting and Lawrence out of the 17, big call!

    Leilua spent a week in hospital over Xmas due to an infection. Other than that he is getting the usual puff pieces about being fit and loving the new club
    Rabbits21
    Rabbits21

    Posts : 821
    Reputation : 132
    Join date : 2019-07-24

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Rabbits21 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:14 pm

    @Ben Marlin wrote:
    Luciano may not be the fittest but he can certainly play long minutes when needed and thrives doing so.
    In his 9 starting appearances over the last 2 season he has averaged 76 minutes and 54.78 fantasy points - not bad from somebody who isn't fit.

    9 starting appearances over 2 seasons is not much but to be fair he is stuck behind two rep-level backrowers.
    Madge's tough approach can only be a good thing and should help Leilua be able to maintain his current record starting in the back row over an entire season (I don't think he will average 76 minutes over the season but I do think he'll definitely be starting).

    There's no way on earth Garner will not be starting on the left edge in round 1 (unless an injury occurs)

    Lawrence does not have the same impact off the bench as Chee-Kam (scored match-winning tries on 2 separate occasions this year) so I'm pretty sure Lawrence won't be in the Tigers best 17.
    So you reckon Luciano plays about 55mins?

    Garner to play 80?
    Rapture_NRL
    Rapture_NRL

    Posts : 1925
    Reputation : 673
    Join date : 2017-02-28
    Location : Earth

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by Rapture_NRL on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:19 pm

    @Milchy wrote:
    Last year I ignored Cook/Smith and started with Jake Friend, which probably would have worked out just fine if Friend didn't get injured. So I'll be looking for a similar strategy this year

    I did the same and it would have been great if he managed to start fit. I think I'll start with him again at his price. Bit of a risk but rather take it early. Only concern would be Verils.

    I agree with your points about avoiding Haas. I think Fifita provides better value and probably won't score too far behind him in the opening rounds.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatic

    Posts : 10021
    Reputation : 3252
    Join date : 2016-01-08
    Location : Fantasy Island

    NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition - Page 23 Empty Re: NRL Fantasy 2020 Part 1 - Offseason Edition

    Post by my tv broke on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:27 pm

    I also started without Cook/Smith. I had intended to do the same this year, as well as Haas, but finding Haas had to ignore.

    @Milchy wrote:I'm, also concerned by Haas not having a single bad round last year. That surely can't continue.

    When you realise his bad games are low 50s

      Current date/time is Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:40 pm