NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater?

Poll

Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater?

[ 4 ]
    Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? - Page 2 Bar_left33%Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? - Page 2 Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? - Page 2 Bar_left17%Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? - Page 2 Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? - Page 2 Bar_left50%Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? - Page 2 Bar_right [50%] 

Total Votes: 12
    Pieman
    Pieman

Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater?

Post by Pieman on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:16 pm

@Dip wrote:I wouldn't say Teddy is a better ball runner than Slater (which is the only thing you say that he is actually better at than Slater's peak), and disagree with basically everything else you say too. I guess that's the beauty of opinions though, and no doubt Tedesco is one hell of a player I'd love to have playing for my team.

If Teddy is at his peak now (and he may not be), and I had to choose a fullback in a team I could select that had to play for my life, then I'd pick Slater if he was in the form he was in any year from  about 2008-2014, or 2017-18. So I guess that means I'd say his peak form over Teddy's peak form to date. Around that first month of 2012 when he scored doubles in the first 4 matches of the season would do me just fine.

I didn't say better ball runner, I said stronger ball runner. (I do think he is a better ball runner though). Whether that equates to better, Im not sure. And yep fair enough, everyone's opinion is different. Mine is - Ted is a better ball player now than Slater was at this point in his career. He is as on the ball and as involved as any fullback has ever been in the game and he is as fit as any fullback has ever been. He is 95 odd kilos and 6 feet - a big unit for a fullback as fast and elusive as he is - close to if not on par with the best ever in Slater who was build like a Jockey for the majority of his career.

I prob agree with you - but if we were going on absolute peak I would choose Hayne for that one game if we were getting late 09 form or 2014 form when him and the other Nsw spuds caused the greatest rugby league upset of all time. No one has ever done what he did for the last 9 games of the season 09 season, not even Slater.

I think as ted loses his acceleration as he gets older, he will become an even better ball player than he is now - which is going to be awesome to watch.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater?

Post by dasherhalo on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Nah. Won't be as good when he loses his pace.

Quality now, though.
    Ice

Post by Ice on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:47 am

Tough question with people throwing up different ideas on what "peak" means and the main thing with Teddybeing have we seen "peak". I don't think so, but certainly he has the capacity to surpass the career of Slater given he is now in a good system with good half and hooker and in a NSW side that will win it's fair share of series over the next 5-8 years and he should be the Aus number 1 during that period also. Slater without question has has the best career of any fullback with a sustained high level of output albeit in a team with The best hooker ever and one of the best halves, (certainly the best organisational and kicking half. Playing with that quality cannot be underestimated, but still, Slater had to contribute and that he did, so you could argue Smith is the Best hooker cause he played with the best FB/Half, or that Cronk was the best half cause he played with the best hooker/FB. All three are amazing and though I despise them as Qlders, I am huge fans of them as Australians and sportsman. Compare that to a guy I used to idolise but nowhave zero respect for in Hayne,who basically played with trash his whole career. If I had to watch one FBfor one game at his absolute peak, doing everything he can do at his best, I would take Hayne every day of the week. If he had 80 of the mental capacity of Slater or Teddy and the wherewithal to apply it, and was in a decent system,there'd be no debate required.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:40 am

@dasherhalo wrote:Nah. Won't be as good when he loses his pace.

Quality now, though.
    Dessy
    He will clearly develop other areas of his game I.e. the ball playing. I like seeing players develop their game later in their careers.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:25 pm

@Krump wrote:
    If peak is a 6 game period than Hayne is above them both by a margin. That’s a silly discussion though

Peak is a point in time, hence the comparisonn is not realistic. Like saying a bowler who gets a hatrick is better than someone who keeps a better average over time.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:45 am

Most comparisons are not realistic mate but its a good exercise
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:00 am

Teddy definitely more a Billy-type footballer than Hayne.

Hayne would play a game of touch football against the other 13 blokes, and you'd end up saying to yourself "how the hell did he do that" after running 140m sideways, backwards, around in circles and dodging 22 players per run.

Teddy and Billy are the guys that pull of a more traditional play in the way that others just can't. You know they're coming at you at the line, but no one seems to be able to stop them, and next thing you know they've sliced through to score.

And that's where the big unknown is. Billy kept up his pace for his entire career. Will Tedesco? He's certainly one of the most feared going around in the last couple of years - same as Cook. But there's been plenty of flash in the pan type guys that fade after a few years. You can't really answer the question yet, I don't believe.

And whomever mentioned Mini above.... agreed. He was just one of those dangerous players.
    MrCashman
    MrCashman

Post by MrCashman on Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:39 pm

Hayne wouldn't tie up either players bootlaces, Hayne was brilliant in attack but his defence positioning was terrible while Slater was always on the spot, Teddy is great in defence as well but just think slater has him covered when we are talking all aspects of fullback
    Ice

Post by Ice on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:21 am

@MrCashman wrote:Hayne wouldn't tie up either players bootlaces, Hayne was brilliant in attack but his defence positioning was terrible while Slater was always on the spot, Teddy is great in defence as well but just think slater has him covered when we are talking all aspects of fullback

Hayne led the league in try saving one on one tackles twice. Agree he was generally well off the pace of Slater defensively but at his best defensively, he won NSW an Origin series. So at peak, close to their equal, but nowhere near the consistency And we are talking peak here.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:32 am

Looks like we need to add Hayne to the voting buttons
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:01 am

I've never seen someone dominate games like that Hayne Plane period. It was must see TV.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:32 pm

@Honeysett wrote:I've never seen someone dominate games like that Hayne Plane period. It was must see TV.

absolutely
    totally unsustainable, and his general FB play was still elite but for that short period of time he was doing things no one had ever done or has done since
    Verbal Kint
    Verbal Kint

Post by Verbal Kint on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Peak Hayne is Fap
    Verbal Kint
    Verbal Kint

Post by Verbal Kint on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Peak No Worries also Beating Heart

Current date/time is Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:50 am