NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater?

Poll

Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater?

[ 4 ]
    Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? Bar_left25%Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? Bar_left25%Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? Bar_left50%Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? Bar_right [50%] 

Total Votes: 16
    Pieman
    Pieman

Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? Empty Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater?

Post by Pieman Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:00 am

Well?

He has had one of the best seasons at fullback in the history of the game. If not the best season. If he wins the Clive Churchill he will have done something that no one else has done - won every individual award. He is also a shoe (hehe) in for the Golden boot.
    In a side where the hooker has barely played, the 6 and 7 have been in and out all year, he has been nothing but consistently brilliant.

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? Empty Re: Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater?

Post by ryno_ Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:10 am

No.

/thread
    Pieman
    Pieman

Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater? Empty Re: Is peak Tedesco better than peak Slater?

Post by Pieman Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:16 pm

He is clearly better or as good right now than Slater was as his peak

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Its weird, I love Tedesco - probably my favourite player. I have no opinion on this though.

I shouldn't have bothered posting that. Its like one of those phone polls and someone dials in with undecided haha

Anyway, carry on

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:37 pm

Laughing flashier =/= better
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Who's to say we've even seen peak Tedesco? These sorts of things are better done retrospectively
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:38 pm

The NRL changed the rules of the game to dull Slater's impact. Needs to improve his sliding and flying kicks if he's going to have the all round game Slater played.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:49 pm

Tedesco is as good, maaaaaybe better with the ball in his hands as peak-Slater, that's as much as he's getting, Slater was a better ball-player and Teddy wishes he was half as good defensively as Slater was at his worst, let alone his peak.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 pm

As a once off season? Maybe. Overall I don't think so just yet, he's got to be this consistent year after year. Slater for all his negative actions on the field changed the way fullback was played. His organisation at the back and communication cannot be understated.

Let's revisit this at the end of Teddy's career.

On a side note I bought a signed and framed Tedesco print from NSWs amazing match winner. It's a photo of Teddy scoring the try. Will look amazing at home.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 pm

As a once off season? Maybe. Overall I don't think so just yet, he's got to be this consistent year after year. Slater for all his negative actions on the field changed the way fullback was played. His organisation at the back and communication cannot be understated.

Let's revisit this at the end of Teddy's career.

On a side note I bought a signed and framed Tedesco print from NSWs amazing match winner. It's a photo of Teddy scoring the try. Will look amazing at home.
    robelgordo
    robelgordo
    Fanatic

Post by robelgordo Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:52 pm

Peak Tedesco isn’t even the best Roosters fullback this century yet. Mini 2003-05 was ridiculous.

I feel like lots of fullbacks have had at least one season as good (or close to as good) as Slaters best in his career... Mini, Hunt, Hayne, Inglis, RTS, Tedesco, as a Dragons supporter I’ll even say Boyd in 2010. The thing is Slater maintained that level for almost 15 years. That’s why he’s the best.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:53 am

surmo13 wrote:Laughing flashier =/= better

are you saying Tedesco is flashier than Slater?
    Or Slater is flashier than Tedesco?
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:55 pm

No. Just No. Don't get me wrong, Teddy is playing brilliantly and close to, if not, the best player in the game right now so this is no slight on him. Until Origin, Mitchell and Keary were easily the best players in the Roosters team in his Dally M season.

The "at peak" argument is also a bit of weird one. What do you mean? For 1 set of 6? For 1 game? For 1 season? You could easily argue 2012 Ben Barba was a better season than either Teddy or Slater have ever had, but he is not in conversation with either of those guys.

People forget just how sustainably brilliant Slater has been, and Teddy's season, as brilliant as it was, was no better than Slater the year he won the Dally M, or a handful of other seasons he had. Teddy at his peak is better at tackle busts, but that's about it. Slater is a better ball player, as good a support player, as fast as Teddy and fitter, a better defender, a better talker, as good under the high ball, a better reader of the game, and better positionally. I have never seen a fullback catch as many kicks on the full as Slater has. For 15 years the Storm started their set 15-20m ahead of other teams, and in a game built around field position, that isn't even talked about.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:30 pm

Its in the question mate.. I didnt say "has x had a better career or is x a better player" etc, just at their peaks (assuming this is teddys peak). At their absolute best who is better?

Ted at his peak is a stronger ball runner and is as good of a ballplayer IMO. He is a better ball player at this point in his career than slater was at the same point. Slater didnt develop that ball playing until the last couple of years. I dont know how you could definitively say slater is fitter. Ted is everywhere. Never out of position and always backing up. A better 1 on 1 defender?? I dont think anyone could say slater is better. Was slater better at stopping a try one on one over the line? Yep I reckon.

How do you know he is a better talker? I mean, the roosters have been the best defensive team in the comp for some time haven't they, surely teddys talk plays a significant part in that.

And Hayne still has the highest peak out of any of them, but he could only do it for 12 months out of his entire career where as slater was able to do it for 12-13 years. Barba, his 2012 was just about as good as it gets yep.

Saying - the only thing he is better at is tackle busts is underplaying it a bit IMO. There is still prob 7-8 years of teds career. Will be interesting to see their stats compared at the end of Teds career.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:46 pm

Dip wrote:No. Just No. Don't get me wrong, Teddy is playing brilliantly and close to, if not, the best player in the game right now so this is no slight on him. Until Origin, Mitchell and Keary were easily the best players in the Roosters team in his Dally M season.

The "at peak" argument is also a bit of weird one. What do you mean? For 1 set of 6? For 1 game? For 1 season? You could easily argue 2012 Ben Barba was a better season than either Teddy or Slater have ever had, but he is not in conversation with either of those guys.

People forget just how sustainably brilliant Slater has been, and Teddy's season, as brilliant as it was, was no better than Slater the year he won the Dally M, or a handful of other seasons he had. Teddy at his peak is better at tackle busts, but that's about it. Slater is a better ball player, as good a support player, as fast as Teddy and fitter, a better defender, a better talker, as good under the high ball, a better reader of the game, and better positionally. I have never seen a fullback catch as many kicks on the full as Slater has. For 15 years the Storm started their set 15-20m ahead of other teams, and in a game built around field position, that isn't even talked about.

Or Jarrod Hayne for those 6 games the year he won the Dally M
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:58 pm

I wouldn't say Teddy is a better ball runner than Slater (which is the only thing you say that he is actually better at than Slater's peak), and disagree with basically everything else you say too. I guess that's the beauty of opinions though, and no doubt Tedesco is one hell of a player I'd love to have playing for my team.

If Teddy is at his peak now (and he may not be), and I had to choose a fullback in a team I could select that had to play for my life, then I'd pick Slater if he was in the form he was in any year from about 2008-2014, or 2017-18. So I guess that means I'd say his peak form over Teddy's peak form to date. Around that first month of 2012 when he scored doubles in the first 4 matches of the season would do me just fine.
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:01 pm

No Worries wrote:

Yep. I think Hayne's sustained form was under-rated personally, but the second half of 2009 was unbelievable. Matt Bowen in 2007 was also at an unbelievable level.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:13 pm

No Worries wrote:

If peak is a 6 game period than Hayne is above them both by a margin. That’s a silly discussion though
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Also Tedesco will struggle to win the Golden Boot. Last year they changed it to only be based on international performances, and that will only include 2 end of season tests for Australia. GB play 4 games post season, NZ play 3. And they might have even played some mid season.
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:05 pm

I reckon peak Brett Mullins could have them both.

I don’t think we’ll see the best of Teddy until his switch into the number 6 jersey.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm