NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

Indigenous All Stars v Maori All stars

Pieman

Indigenous All Stars v Maori All stars

Post by Pieman on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:55 am

Interesting format change..
    While it was a fkn joke with players pulling out left right and centre - whats the go with there bring no "all stars" side?

Imagine if the NBA or NFL pulled this with their all star games.. African americans v internationals.. would be riots.

I duno how I feel about them totally cutting out the non-indigenous or maori players, they should have prob gone with a 3 team format or something. I get that its a celebration of culture and feel that indigenous culture should be celebrated more (even in general society) but to just cut out everyone who isnt indigenous or maori.. duno

What are peoples thoughts?
    my tv broke

Re: Indigenous All Stars v Maori All stars

Post by my tv broke on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:01 am

Definitely an improvement, I think it will be a great way to kick off the season.

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:16 am

@Pieman wrote:Interesting format change..
    While it was a fkn joke with players pulling out left right and centre - whats the go with there bring no "all stars" side?

Imagine if the NBA or NFL pulled this with their all star games.. African americans v internationals.. would be riots.

I duno how I feel about them totally cutting out the non-indigenous or maori players, they should have prob gone with a 3 team format or something. I get that its a celebration of culture and feel that indigenous culture should be celebrated more (even in general society) but to just cut out everyone who isnt indigenous or maori.. duno

What are peoples thoughts?

It's a fantastic change that most people were calling for anyway.

The biggest problem with the previous format was that it meant a lot to one team and very little to the other.

leaguegod

Post by leaguegod on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:35 am

@Oz Sport Mad wrote:

It's a fantastic change that most people were calling for anyway.

The biggest problem with the previous format was that it meant a lot to one team and very little to the other.

100% this

while on topic of non NRL games, if the tonga V australian games doesn't get played this year, we are deluded, the success of tonga's world cup campaign needs more then 1 mid season game against samoa the following year.
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 am

100% for this concept.

"Imagine if the NBA or NFL pulled this with their all star games.. African americans v internationals.. would be riots."

That's actually how I viewed the previous format. I was one of those with the unpopular view that it was racist. I understood the cultural concept but splitting a nation down the lines of race is problematic. Now we have 2 indigenous cultures from 2 seperate countries facing each other. So it's more an international contest. Much prefer this concept.

Even if the indigenous poster boy for restraining women from hurting themselves may not be available because it clashes with the Charity shield.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:05 pm

actually im pretty sure for rookies / sophomore players they do an internation v usa game in the NBA

I dont hate the idea of Indigenous v maori, its a great celebration of culture - but just think for players like e.g. Burgess', Tedescos, Clearys, cooks and munster's of the world - the only showcase games are origin and internationals ....I guess thats good enough?

I would have liked to have seen a 3 team format personally
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:32 pm

@Pieman wrote:

I would have liked to have seen a 3 team format personally

It's not a bad idea. It just needs to be added to a calendar that includes a pre season AMCO Cup, propper mid season international calendar, state of origin and nines along with a reduced season where everyone play each other once, finals and you have a full season.
    SI

Post by SI on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Love it, hopefully gets traction.

Dip

Post by Dip on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:51 am

I love the idea. Indigenous and Maori footballers have also added so much to our game as well. The spirit they will bring is great. I still think the highlight of the 2008 WC was the Haka vs War Dance before the first game.

The players are only missing trial games anyway, so there shouldn't be much reluctance from clubs. Greg Inglis isn't going to benefit much from a club game, but someone 20 year old up and coming fringe squad player will sure as hell benefit from being surrounded by guys like Inglis, Gagai, Holmes etc for a few days and seeing how they train, eat, deal with the media etc.
    Pain

Post by Pain on Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:03 am

Yep I like it. Makes it clearer who I should be cheering for.

Current date/time is Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:45 pm