NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 46 Empty Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Post by No Worries Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Agree Bennett would make a better coaching director than anyone else that has tried their hand at it over the years, with the positives being he doesn't have to front the media. The negatives being I don't think coaching directors have fullbacks. Which is also the reason I don't see him coming to Sydney as that every Sydney club already has a better fullback.

But, even the most one eyed (which isn't many for someone with 2 heads) Broncos supporter must see that siding with Bennett in theis debacle is very short sighted and not in the best interest of the club long term. The instability increases the risk of losing young players also impacts on signings with players not willing to join when they don't know who will be coaching. It's just delaying what is currently occuring by another 12 months. Rip off the band aid and let it scab.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:14 pm

No Worries wrote:Agree Bennett would make a better coaching director than anyone else that has tried their hand at it over the years, with the positives being he doesn't have to front the media. The negatives being I don't think coaching directors have fullbacks. Which is also the reason I don't see him coming to Sydney as that every Sydney club already has a better fullback.

But, even the most one eyed (which isn't many for someone with 2 heads) Broncos supporter must see that siding with Bennett in theis debacle is very short sighted and not in the best interest of the club long term. The instability increases the risk of losing young players also impacts on signings with players not willing to join when they don't know who will be coaching. It's just delaying what is currently occuring by another 12 months. Rip off the band aid and let it scab.

I can't talk on behalf of the one-eyed biased supporters but from my impartial point of view....I would be surprised if there is any instability amongst the group.

Bennett has always put the club before himself and I'd be astonished, particularly now in his twilight years, if he wasn't still doing the same.

Do you really think he would undo the best part of 3 decades work for the sake of a couple more years coaching?
    Time will tell and only those involved (e.g. not the media) would actually know......but seems pretty unrealistic to me.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Just like the old origin legends like Nate Myles and Sam Thaiday etc, Bennett will go on a year too long. But just like those guys, given his history I'd prefer to keep him a year too long than cut him and potentially miss a couple of good years. If QLD had cut all those old guys after 2014 then we probably wouldn't have had 2015-2017.

The guy almost coached England to a World Cup Victory 10 months ago. England. He can obviously still coach.

Generally the same people who are saying Wayne can't coach anymore are the same sort of people who said the Broncos should have matched the Dragon's $1.2m/yr contract for Ben Hunt a few rounds in this season. These are the same guys who are saying Hunt is now overpaid and overrated. Too many league fans have short memories and only remember about 7 days.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:42 pm

I don't have a short memory. The Knights beat the Broncos this year.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:59 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I can't talk on behalf of the one-eyed biased supporters but from my impartial point of view....I would be surprised if there is any instability amongst the group.

Bennett has always put the club before himself and I'd be astonished, particularly now in his twilight years, if he wasn't still doing the same.

Do you really think he would undo the best part of 3 decades work for the sake of a couple more years coaching?
    Time will tell and only those involved (e.g. not the media) would actually know......but seems pretty unrealistic to me.
    Have you purposely just contradicted everything that seems to be happening?
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Honeysett wrote:I don't have a short memory. The Knights beat the Broncos this year.

Our specialty this year is losing to bottom 6 teams. We do fairly well against the rest of the comp.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Dip wrote:Just like the old origin legends like Nate Myles and Sam Thaiday etc, Bennett will go on a year too long. But just like those guys, given his history I'd prefer to keep him a year too long than cut him and potentially miss a couple of good years. If QLD had cut all those old guys after 2014 then we probably wouldn't have had 2015-2017.

The guy almost coached England to a World Cup Victory 10 months ago. England. He can obviously still coach.

Generally the same people who are saying Wayne can't coach anymore are the same sort of people who said the Broncos should have matched the Dragon's $1.2m/yr contract for Ben Hunt a few rounds in this season. These are the same guys who are saying Hunt is now overpaid and overrated. Too many league fans have short memories and only remember about 7 days.

He is a good halfback and maybe now a fullback away from winning the comp IMO
    I think in the last few years his recruiting has been pretty shit, some of the players they have lost are deadset quality players.
    I think the dragons were stupid for signing hunt for that much money, considering his age and we have already seen the best of him. I also think the broncos were stupid for not retaining him considering they have no halfback to replace him. So they were stuck between a rock and a hard place with him. It would be pretty funny if Bennett ends up back at the dragons again, considering the side the dragons have now - its just oh so similar to last time he went there. Brilliant side on paper, they just need something to get them over the edge and it might be bennett again.

They arent getting bellamy, there are no other great coaches out there on the market so why wouldnt they just give him an extension?? He got the club to a GF a couple of years ago, but really hasnt looked like it since. From what I have seen this year, especially when they got basically gifted those games at the start of the season, they shouldnt even be in the 8 right now. It also wouldnt surprise me if they come 8th and come out and made it to a GF qualifier.

It also wouldnt surprise me that if bennett leaves and another club takes him, he will take half the clubs players with him and wont give a fuck less about the state of the club once he is gone. Why would he? he would no longer be a part of the club.

Surely he wouldnt take a footy director role, purely because he loves coaching. He prob fucking hates the admin side of things.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Krump wrote:

hahah yeah this is literally the opposite to everything that has happened lol
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53 am

Krump wrote:

Have you purposely just lapped up the current media reporting as gospel?

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:09 am

I don't know Wayne I don't watch his interviews or read articles on him but I dont think he would care too much for admin and politics. I think there would be a fair amount just being a coach. But being the director thered be so much more I cant really see him doing it.

In my own opinion I cant really see why we cant let him see out his contract next year. I think it would be a respectful thing to do after all the years of his hard work. Unfortunately the NRL doesn't work like that.

I don't really know what coach I would want to be honest. I just think our team needs time. Our young forwards getting experience and game time and it'll all sync up together over time.

and since its a popular opinion around here maybe a new halfback
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:06 am

From everything I've seen and heard of Wayne over the years (ignoring the media beat ups), the thing he loves most, and gets the most out of, is being around the players at ground level (ie being the coach) and that camaraderie he he builds with the players he's involved with.

I'd be surprised if a director type role would suit him. He is too hands on.

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:55 am

my tv broke wrote:From everything I've seen and heard of Wayne over the years (ignoring the media beat ups), the thing he loves most, and gets the most out of, is being around the players at ground level (ie being the coach) and that camaraderie he he builds with the players he's involved with.

absolutely mate!! He always says that he is a coach, and how much he enjoys being around the players
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:07 am

With no actual facts whatsoever it looks to me like hes the type of coach who's capable of winning a premiership with a good roster but doesn't seem capable of building that roster. The Dragons or Panthers would be a great fit.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm

my tv broke wrote:From everything I've seen and heard of Wayne over the years (ignoring the media beat ups), the thing he loves most, and gets the most out of, is being around the players at ground level (ie being the coach) and that camaraderie he he builds with the players he's involved with.

It's purely my speculation so wouldn't be in any way surprised if it doesn't eventuate....but my thoughts have always been that this ability to be amongst and manage a group of players would translate just as effectively (for all involved) with managing a head coach and their group of coaches.

Purely from Wayne's perspective, it allows him to still enjoy the camaraderie but without the hours and hours of time that I imagine would be involved with being a head coach.
    Thus essentially getting the best of both worlds.

Anyway time will tell.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28 pm

No Sims bin??
    Far out.. they have been binning that shit all year then dont do it tonight!

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:37 pm

Pieman wrote:No Sims bin??
    Far out.. they have been binning that shit all year then dont do it tonight!

Yeah, I missed it live but when I was watching the replay I was thinking to myself Sims you fool! The voiceover came on and said no interference I couldn’t beleive it. A one eyed biased dan like myself even disagrees with that

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Surely that statistic isn’t right. Nikorima when he starts we have a 75% win rate?
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:53 pm

Krump wrote:With no actual facts whatsoever it looks to me like hes the type of coach who's capable of winning a premiership with a good roster but doesn't seem capable of building that roster. The Dragons or Panthers would be a great fit.

Like Phil Gould.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:09 am

Mighty Fishes wrote:

Yeah, I missed it live but when I was watching the replay I was thinking to myself Sims you fool! The voiceover came on and said no interference I couldn’t beleive it. A one eyed biased dan like myself even disagrees with that

haha even with one eye, that is a cleary indisputable sin bin this year. Amazing that they didnt bin him after what we have seen.
    Was a good win by brisbane though, had to win it twice and they did.

The Walker idiocy when he didnt just score it was a huge huge moment too.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 am

This. Fucking. Team. I’m sure Wayne would’ve appreciated them showing up for their coach before he was being ushered out of the door, watch us put in next week as well and then drop the season ender v Manly.

Just on the Sims ruling, it was wrong, but I’m pretty amused at the reaction, considering if I recall correctly (and I do), all the non-Broncos fans were up in arms about the end of the first Bulldogs game, where Mbye deliberately interferes with Boyd, but according to them, Boyd was no chance of getting to the ball so it shouldn’t have even been a penalty, kinda like how Reynolds was no chance tonight, who knew they were a bunch of hippie-hypocrites?... oh wait, I did...

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am