NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 33 Empty Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2018 12:35 pm

sad state of affairs when you're pessimistic about your chances of beating the team anchoring the ladder, just struggling to see it happening, between half our starting players being out injured, the other half of our starting team playing injured, all the distractions this week and our habit of playing to the level of our opponents, my expectations are low.
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Thu May 24, 2018 3:28 pm

surmo13 wrote:sad state of affairs when you're pessimistic about your chances of beating the team anchoring the ladder, just struggling to see it happening, between half our starting players being out injured, the other half of our starting team playing injured, all the distractions this week and our habit of playing to the level of our opponents, my expectations are low.

watched brad arthurs pre game presser and he seemed alot calmer than he has in recent weeks, and while he wouldn't admit it, it seemed as though they've now accepted their fate for the season. When asked about the spine and how he wants them to play he said "i just want them to have some fun out there, and play some footy". maybe it will just all click, now that the pressure seems to be off.

our young forwards are going to need to step up. we had something like 7 guys from the team for this week that didn't train on monday, due to various niggles. i expect us to come out a little flat, as has been typical of our season, its going to be a tough game.

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2018 4:58 pm

surmo13 wrote:sad state of affairs when you're pessimistic about your chances of beating the team anchoring the ladder, just struggling to see it happening, between half our starting players being out injured, the other half of our starting team playing injured, all the distractions this week and our habit of playing to the level of our opponents, my expectations are low.

Klein is reffing too so Eels 13+ unfortunately

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2018 11:44 pm

scrappy as all get out but i'll take it, as i said above this one had 'danger game' written all over it, have a week to get some much needed rest, hopefully get some troops back because we'll need all the cavalry we can get for the Storm in Melbourne
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu May 24, 2018 11:48 pm

Broncos just too good for us with all the outs we have. Deserved to win.

Boys hung in there and if the touchie understood that momentum carries the ball forward when A guy is moving forward but backwards out of the hand is ok, we might have a least made a game of it with 5 to play.

French can be a little annoyed with the two stiff calls he got late in the game,  not getting any protection and being hit whilst still in the air but getting nothing from the ref or touchie again, but as I said,   Broncos too good for us tonight.

Just out of interest, what is the rule when making a tackle over/near the line. If a player knocks it cleanly out of the attacking players hand deliberately, and the ball goes backwards of the defender, doesn't touch the attacker and goes dead, is it a drop out?
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri May 25, 2018 12:08 am

Mighty Fishes wrote:

Klein is reffing too so Eels 13+ unfortunately

Penalty Broncos.

Keeping the high 5 on the down low.

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 33 8zJC0Oy
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri May 25, 2018 12:38 am

Ice wrote:Broncos just too good for us with all the outs we have. Deserved to win.

Boys hung in there and if the touchie understood that momentum carries the ball forward when A guy is moving forward but backwards out of the hand is ok, we might have a least made a game of it with 5 to play.

French can be a little annoyed with the two stiff calls he got late in the game,  not getting any protection and being hit whilst still in the air but getting nothing from the ref or touchie again, but as I said,   Broncos too good for us tonight.

Just out of interest, what is the rule when making a tackle over/near the line. If a player knocks it cleanly out of the attacking players hand deliberately, and the ball goes backwards of the defender, doesn't touch the attacker and goes dead, is it a drop out?

Should have kicked on and put 50 in the Eels but we are still pretty inconsistent throughout matches.

What we are doing is winning games and if we can get some troops back I really think we are a good shot at gaining some momentum and giving the comp a crack.

The tackled in the air call against French was a dud call but the forward pass was spot on and if the idiot commentators on CH9 weren't going on about it, I imagine there wouldn't be any questions asked.

In terms of your other question, I don't know the exact ruling but generally these days I find the ref's seem to err on the side of the attacker touching it last and it being a loose carry knock on or a 20m tap.

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2018 12:51 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:In terms of your other question, I don't know the exact ruling but generally these days I find the ref's seem to err on the side of the attacker touching it last and it being a loose carry knock on or a 20m tap.

pretty much, similar thing happened to us in the Cowboys game earlier this year that nearly cost us the game, when Pangai went to slam the ball down and had it knocked free by a Cowboy blantantly playing at the ball, was called a knock-on for a 7 tackle set which they scored off to close the margin to the final score, but nobody talked about it because the call was against us, not for us.
    MilfordTheMagician
    MilfordTheMagician

Post by MilfordTheMagician Fri May 25, 2018 2:28 am

Is Sims contracted for next season? Hopefully not so we can let him go... I'm really keen to run with the young forwards we have in our stocks right now.

8. Lodge
    9. FAC
    10. Ofa
    11. TPJ
    12. Gillett
    13. McGuire

14. Glenn
    15. Haas
    16. Fifita
    17. Su'A

Would make my mouth water seeing this round 1 next season. Get rid of some deadweight and sign a half too...
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 am

MilfordTheMagician wrote:Is Sims contracted for next season? Hopefully not so we can let him go... I'm really keen to run with the young forwards we have in our stocks right now.

8. Lodge
    9. FAC
    10. Ofa
    11. TPJ
    12. Gillett
    13. McGuire

14. Glenn
    15. Haas
    16. Fifita
    17. Su'A

Would make my mouth water seeing this round 1 next season. Get rid of some deadweight and sign a half too...

Selecting our best forward pack is an interesting conundrum, even this season.

I know some of the young blokes have been immense lately but I actually thought Alex Glenn was our best forward before he was injured.

The other issue/concern is how confident Gillett is going to be upon his return.
    Neck injuries are notoriously hard to mentally come back from and he (understandably) sounded pretty rattled at the time.

If all fit, I reckon our best pack would currently be:

8. Lodge
    9. FAC
    10. McGuire
    11. TPJ
    12. Gillett
    13. Glenn

14. Back/Utility/Paas
    15. Sims
    16. Ofa
    17. Su'A
    Ice

Post by Ice Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 am

surmo13 wrote:

pretty much, similar thing happened to us in the Cowboys game earlier this year that nearly cost us the game, when Pangai went to slam the ball down and had it knocked free by a Cowboy blantantly playing at the ball, was called a knock-on for a 7 tackle set which they scored off to close the margin to the final score, but nobody talked about it because the call was against us, not for us.

Mine was a genuine question, and if that is the way they are calling it the now I'm fine with it. Didn't see the Brisbane one so can't comment. Jennings clearly had it knocked lose, but as I said, if the precedent is knock on and fair play from the defender then all good.

Last edited by Ice on Fri May 25, 2018 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ice

Post by Ice Fri May 25, 2018 11:45 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Should have kicked on and put 50 in the Eels but we are still pretty inconsistent throughout matches.

What we are doing is winning games and if we can get some troops back I really think we are a good shot at gaining some momentum and giving the comp a crack.

The tackled in the air call against French was a dud call but the forward pass was spot on and if the idiot commentators on CH9 weren't going on about it, I imagine there wouldn't be any questions asked.

In terms of your other question, I don't know the exact ruling but generally these days I find the ref's seem to err on the side of the attacker touching it last and it being a loose carry knock on or a 20m tap.

The "forward pass" call could have gone either way. It was a line ball, thrown just at the line and caught at the line and clearly backwards out of the hand, but I can understand why they called it, and could cop them not calling it also, regardless of the team, it wasn't like some forward passes you see though, especially that Broncos one that bounced I think late in the first half maybe and some of the dummy half passes we see nowadays where they are passing from the ground with no forward momentum, but again, didn't determine result. Broncos to good.
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri May 25, 2018 3:55 pm

MilfordTheMagician wrote:Is Sims contracted for next season? Hopefully not so we can let him go... I'm really keen to run with the young forwards we have in our stocks right now.

8. Lodge
    9. FAC
    10. Ofa
    11. TPJ
    12. Gillett
    13. McGuire

14. Glenn
    15. Haas
    16. Fifita
    17. Su'A

Don't worry about next season, when everyone is fit I'd love to see this:

8. Lodge
    9. McCullough
    10. McGuire
    11. TPJ
    12. Gillett
    13. Sua

14. Utility (not as important with Glenn on the bench - could possibly go with Sims)
    15. Joe O
    16. Glenn
    17. Haas

Thaiday and Sims might add experience, but I just can't put either of them ahead of the young guys Lodge, TPJ, Joe O and Sua on form, and Haas on potential. I don't think we can win this year, and maybe not next year either depending on our halfback, but gee, I'd love to see Sua, Haas, TPJ next year with a few more games under their belt. I also think Bird will get back to form, but I for team balance I just cant put him in the forwards. At least 1 or 2 of them will probably be injured any given week, so I like that depth. Just need a halfback and to actually play to our potential.

I have been especially impressed with Lodge and Sua this year. They've been better than I expected.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri May 25, 2018 10:42 pm

was good to see the broncos win a game without a refs call directly impacting the result of the game.
    They are scraping through with these wins. Will just make the 8
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Mon May 28, 2018 10:02 am

We've *got* another gear. I'm just not confident we'll find it.

At least there's something to look forward to, most weeks. Could be turning up with no hope like a few other teams. I think most people on the season so far would have us in the 8 making up numbers?

Still: got to be in it to win it, so.....
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Mon May 28, 2018 10:48 am

Most people would have you outside the 8.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/ladder

And the other gear you refer to is reverse Dead Horse
    my tv broke
    my tv broke
    Fanatics Immortal

Post by my tv broke Mon May 28, 2018 12:08 pm

There was an article on the QRL site last week that said the Broncos are very confident of re-signing Su'A (which is contrary to other media reports), and will be offering him an 80 min left edge role next year. The article didn't really give any sources, but it said the Broncos are aiming for this pack at full strength next year:

Lodge, Macca, TPJ, Gillett, Sua, Mcguire Bench forwards: Ofa, Glenn, Haas

Sure its probably grain of salt stuff, but no mention of Sims in the article.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Mon May 28, 2018 6:59 pm

No Worries wrote:Most people would have you outside the 8.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/ladder

And the other gear you refer to is reverse Dead Horse

Just worked a long day, and am 90% brain dead, but I'm not seeing your humour.... or if it's not humour, I'm not sure why you're in here. Did you trip and land in the Broncos thread by accident, or did you just see all the people in here, and were lonely in the Tigers thread? tongue
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon May 28, 2018 7:56 pm

another player who is released by brisbane who goes on to play origin the next year. Another shocker of a decision by Bennett to let Arrow go and keep a spud like Sims or Average Glenn.

Ice

Post by Ice Wed May 30, 2018 3:49 pm

What price Norman returns to Brisbane either before June 30 of for 2019? I imagine they are shortening after latest indiscretion.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am