NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread - Page 18 Empty Re: 2018 Brisbane Broncos Thread

Post by No Worries Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 am

MrCashman wrote:Still trying to work out Thaidays comments after the game

"Tonight wasn't about winning for us"

The boss has already said he wont be dropped, he can say whatever as long as he pulls on the jersey.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:50 am

I think what Thaiday said and what he meant are two slightly different things. I understood it to be a cause and effect type scenario and didn't read too much into it personally - i.e. focus on improving and the wins will come, and really that's the only way they will come. It probably could have been worded better, but I certainly didn't read it as meaning he is indifferent to winning or losing.

Re Bennett leaving the Knights in a mess, I always found it weird that after 4 rounds in 2015 when the Knights were undefeated and top of the table no-one was complaining about the state Bennett left the club in. Pretty much everyone who supported the Knights was saying they were happy Boyd was leaving and that resigning Jeremy Smith was a sign that internationals could still want to play at the Knights.

I just don't understand how a team was left a rabble according to some, but was still able to be at the top of the table and undefeated for the first month after he left. If they were a rabble, how were they good enough to be undefeated? If they weren't a rabble, how is the drop off from mid April 2015 his fault? Even if they want to run with the "but he left us with an aging roster and no signings", I don't see how that is on Bennett. One of his Bennett's big skills (and an important skill of a NRL coach) has been able to sign and cut players, so if Brown (and the Knights organisation) can't do that as well as Bennett I don't see how that is on him. I mean in the 2014-15 offseason Bennett signed Boyd, Milford, and Blair from memory and cut Barba and Kennedy. For all we know had he stayed at the Knights he might have signed Milf and Blair and led them to the grand final as well.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Hes been shit for a few years now. Bennett should have tapped him on the shoulder so that they could keep someone like Wallace and or Arrow
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Dip wrote:I think what Thaiday said and what he meant are two slightly different things. I understood it to be a cause and effect type scenario and didn't read too much into it personally - i.e. focus on improving and the wins will come, and really that's the only way they will come. It probably could have been worded better, but I certainly didn't read it as meaning he is indifferent to winning or losing.

Re Bennett leaving the Knights in a mess, I always found it weird that after 4 rounds in 2015 when the Knights were undefeated and top of the table no-one was complaining about the state Bennett left the club in. Pretty much everyone who supported the Knights was saying they were happy Boyd was leaving and that resigning Jeremy Smith was a sign that internationals could still want to play at the Knights.

I just don't understand how a team was left a rabble according to some, but was still able to be at the top of the table and undefeated for the first month after he left. If they were a rabble, how were they good enough to be undefeated? If they weren't a rabble, how is the drop off from mid April 2015 his fault? Even if they want to run with the "but he left us with an aging roster and no signings", I don't see how that is on Bennett. One of his Bennett's big skills (and an important skill of a NRL coach) has been able to sign and cut players, so if Brown (and the Knights organisation) can't do that as well as Bennett I don't see how that is on him. I mean in the 2014-15 offseason Bennett signed Boyd, Milford, and Blair from memory and cut Barba and Kennedy. For all we know had he stayed at the Knights he might have signed Milf and Blair and led them to the grand final as well.

Bennett literally said he could not rebuild knights and sacked himself. he said that.
    nothing else needs to be said.
    that is very much so admitting that the job was too big for him and he wasnt up to it. there is no other interpretation to that.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Pieman wrote:

Bennett literally said he could not rebuild knights and sacked himself. he said that.
    nothing else needs to be said.
    that is very much so admitting that the job was too big for him and he wasnt up to it. there is no other interpretation to that.

Of course there is another interpretation. The obvious interpretation is that Tinkler was paying him a huge amount that Tinkler could no longer afford to pay (and probably was already defaulting on), and Bennett wasn't prepared to work for Nathan Brown type wages. I thought everyone assumed that was the reason he quit.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Dip wrote:I think what Thaiday said It probably could have been worded better,

Which time ?

I'm gonna put that one right next to Laurie's "the team that scores the most points win"
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Dip wrote:I think what Thaiday said and what he meant are two slightly different things. I understood it to be a cause and effect type scenario and didn't read too much into it personally - i.e. focus on improving and the wins will come, and really that's the only way they will come. It probably could have been worded better, but I certainly didn't read it as meaning he is indifferent to winning or losing.

He signed players on overs for their talent and back-ended a lot of contracts while signing them to longer deals. That was the issue. Too much money on players that weren't worth it.

Nathan Brown had to gut the side and make some hard decisions knowing that we would be in a bad position for a few years while we got rid of dead-weight and recruited. We couldn't have recruited better I don't feel for this year - some amazing signings and there's good signs coming in.

When you compare that to what the Broncos have lost and signed I would say Brown's recruitment is far and away better than Bennett's (after 5 rounds of the season)

What I don't understand is them not matching Ben Hunt's wage demands but then signing Jack Bird on similar money who's a centre. You needed a quality half and Hunt got you to a Grand Final - I get not wanting to spend that amount of money on a player but they pretty much did with Bird. I just didn't understand it and still don't. Losing guys like Arrow and Wallace in previous years has hurt a bit as well because they're playing brilliantly at other clubs.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Honeysett wrote:
    What I don't understand is them not matching Ben Hunt's wage demands but then signing Jack Bird on similar money who's a centre. You needed a quality half and Hunt got you to a Grand Final - I get not wanting to spend that amount of money on a player but they pretty much did with Bird. I just didn't understand it and still don't. Losing guys like Arrow and Wallace in previous years has hurt a bit as well because they're playing brilliantly at other clubs.

surely you didn't believe the initial reports? It's been widely accepted for a long while that the deal is 3.5 mil over 4 years, probably what we were trying to pay Hunt before the Dragons had money burning holes in their pockets.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:58 pm

surmo13 wrote:

surely you didn't believe the initial reports? It's been widely accepted for a long while that the deal is 3.5 mil over 4 years, probably what we were trying to pay Hunt before the Dragons had money burning holes in their pockets.

Every article I just searched said $4 mil for 4 years and Paul Kent came out recently and said it was close to the same money.

The 3.5 mil over 4 years was the amount that was alleged to be incorrect.

--

Either way let's use what you have said. 850,000 for Bird or $1mil for Hunt? What can you buy with an extra $150,000?

I would take a half (Hunt) for $1mil rather than a centre/lock (Bird) for $850k

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Pieman wrote:Hes been shit for a few years now. Bennett should have tapped him on the shoulder so that they could keep someone like Wallace and or Arrow

If we still had Arrow and Wallace on our roster we’d be in a lot better position. I still can’t beleive that they were allowed to leave. Even Hannant to a lesser extent I was devastated when he left.

Apart from Hass I don’t really know of any forwards we have coming through the ranks I like Arron Rockley but I feel if he hasn’t made his debut by now he never will

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Every article I just searched said $4 mil for 4 years and Paul Kent came out recently and said it was close to the same money.

The 3.5 mil over 4 years was the amount that was alleged to be incorrect.

--

Either way let's use what you have said. 850,000 for Bird or $1mil for Hunt? What can you buy with an extra $150,000?

I would take a half (Hunt) for $1mil rather than a centre/lock (Bird) for $850k

every article about him this year that has referenced his salary has called him some form of "the 3.5 million dollar recruit/man/star/etc., and the Dragons are paying Hunt 1.2 million annually... i'm not trying to argue about worth (though you will never convince me Hunt was worth matching that offer), i'm hoping theres a grand plan that was delayed by the shoulder injury snafu, because Jack Bird the centre is not worth that kind of money and there were a few halves movements over the off-season i wanted us to get involved in, I just dislike when people try to make a point using misinformation

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Mighty Fishes wrote:

Apart from Hass I don’t really know of any forwards we have coming through the ranks I like Arron Rockley but I feel if he hasn’t made his debut by now he never will

We're pretty well off for young forwards at the moment, provided clubs with poor cap management don't continue their trend of raiding our bench by paying overs.

along with Haas, we have George Fai & David Fifita running around the lower grades, Tom Flegler has been marked for big things, and Patrick Carrigan looks like being our chance to make up for botching Arrow's pathway to the starting side.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:52 pm

I did forget about Fai! Havent heard of Carrigan i'll have to keep an eye out

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Mighty Fishes wrote:I did forget about Fai! Havent heard of Carrigan i'll have to keep an eye out

was our Captain in the 20's and made it's team of the year last year, like i alluded to, has been pretty much compared as a like for like of Arrow, runs hard and doesn't shirk the hard work.
    code delta
    code delta

Post by code delta Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Mighty Fishes wrote:

If we still had Arrow and Wallace on our roster we’d be in a lot better position.....
    and an easy ESse
    B/L
    B/L

Post by B/L Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:40 pm

David Fifita is a young backrower coming through who is an absolute unit.

Haas Carrigan & Fifita should all be in the side next year but im losing confidence in Wayne.

Thaiday shouldnt be anywhere near the side and watching games live this season its effort we are being beaten on not skill.

We look unfit. Line speed is considerably slower than our opponents and forwards taking too long to get back onside.

We decided to up our energy and effort late in the game last week and suprise suprise we came.storming home but was too little too late.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Well the fucken knives have well and truly come out over the last couple of weeks since I've ventured in here!
    The usual suspects obviously but even from some of our more fickle supporters.

Are people calling for Bellamy's head despite the exact same start to their season??

Even Brad Arthur seems to be avoiding too much criticism despite being on a duck egg but apparently the best coach to have ever coached is now past it (clearly ignoring his efforts to drag the Poms back into international contention a few months back)??

Maybe I'm a little biased towards Bennett but quite frankly the Newcastle supporters shit me a little with their grudge against him.

The bloke (unexpectedly at the time) took them to a game away from the GF and then left because off the field the place was undoubtedly a rabble.
    Low and behold, they struggled from then on and it's all of a sudden Bennett's fault??

Has anyone considered that maybe a bloke as experienced and successful as Bennett wasn't getting the support off the field that he knew would be required and fucked off accordingly knowing that he was on a hiding to nothing otherwise?
    I mean to me that is the most rational and logical explanation but for some reason people want to buy into this fanciful media slander instead.

As for Nathan Brown, how he has escaped significant repercussions following his comment is one of the great mysteries of our time.

You can barely pass accurate judgement on the game without copping a $10k fine but the bloke stooped to the gutter with a dog shot personal attack and from what I have heard has barely been given a warning from the NRL.
    In fact, many I have heard in the media have applauded his cowardly personal attack (mind you these are butthurt grubs like Kent etc.).

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:37 am

The fact that the comment can be interpreted as - if he thought with his big head (planning well for the future etc), rather than his little head (wanting to win now, doing everything for immediate success)
    has saved him. There is no disputing that it can be taken both ways - and until brown comes out and says "I was talking about him cheating on his wife", we cant say one way or the other.

And it shits me when bronco fans completely deny that he had anything to do with how they went after he left. In reality, its prob a bit of fault from both.
    I think that most newcastle supporters had gotten over the bennett thing, bennett was the one that started with the comments about the side. something he didnt have to do. Yet he did it, prob in another attempt to deflect from how shit his side is looking so far this year.
    Newcastle struggled for years partially because of the horrible contracts bennett signed old guys to.

Bennett came out and said that the job was too big for him and he sacked himself. No other interpretation what so ever for that.

Difference between broncos and storm is that the storm actually look like winning a game.

Arthur would most certainly come under scrutiny if the side continues to perform the way it has been.

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:
    As for Nathan Brown, how he has escaped significant repercussions following his comment is one of the great mysteries of our time.

You can barely pass accurate judgement on the game without copping a $10k fine but the bloke stooped to the gutter with a dog shot personal attack and from what I have heard has barely been given a warning from the NRL.
    In fact, many I have heard in the media have applauded his cowardly personal attack (mind you these are butthurt grubs like Kent etc.).

Meh. Id rather interviews have a bit of personality about them. It was a personal attack, sure, but the NRL can't step in and fine everybody who has a go at someone else. If he was attacking the integrity of the game/league or something, thats a different matter but if its just 2 blokes who dont like each other having a dig, its not the NRLs concern. They can't force everyone to get along and they shouldnt try to sanitise every interview.

Lockys joke about the StG winning 11 with 1 Raper is still the peak of sledges and he didnt get anything more then a raised eyebrow for saying that. Play on.
    Dip

Post by Dip Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:42 am

Pieman wrote:The fact that the comment can be interpreted as - if he thought with his big head (planning well for the future etc), rather than his little head (wanting to win now, doing everything for immediate success)
    has saved him. There is no disputing that it can be taken both ways - and until brown comes out and says "I was talking about him cheating on his wife", we cant say one way or the other.

And it shits me when bronco fans completely deny that he had anything to do with how they went after he left. In reality, its prob a bit of fault from both.
    I think that most newcastle supporters had gotten over the bennett thing, bennett was the one that started with the comments about the side. something he didnt have to do. Yet he did it, prob in another attempt to deflect from how shit his side is looking so far this year.
    Newcastle struggled for years partially because of the horrible contracts bennett signed old guys to.

Bennett came out and said that the job was too big for him and he sacked himself. No other interpretation what so ever for that.

Difference between broncos and storm is that the storm actually look like winning a game.

Arthur would most certainly come under scrutiny if the side continues to perform the way it has been.

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. That's all I hear from Newcastle fans generally (well 95% of the time anyway).

Paul Crawley on NRL360 last night hit the nail on the head. They blame back ended contracts - who? Did the backend contract the reason they went from 4-0 in 2015 to the wooden spoon? Bennett put in place the junior and schoolboy system which is now resulting in some solid first grade prospects. I admit I forgot about Rick Stone being coach rather than Brown in 2015, but Crawley is right. It's now 2018. Bennett hasn't been coach since 2014. When are people going to stop using him as the scape goat for problems in the Newy organisation? As Crawley said, on the 15th of each month most people in the club weren't getting paid as they were supposed to. Is it no wonder people didn't want to go or stay at the club, and the culture was bad (something that Bennett was well on the way to fixing)? As an employer I always tell my staff that the day they don't get paid is the day they shouldn't turn up. And I won't be mad at them, I'll be mad at me for not paying them.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm