NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Cronk/Pearce Watch

Poll

Where will he end up?

[ 1 ]
    Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_left8%Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_right [8%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_left17%Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_left0%Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_left25%Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_left0%Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_left8%Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_right [8%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 4 ]
    Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_left33%Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 12
    Dip

Cronk/Pearce Watch - Page 2 Empty Re: Cronk/Pearce Watch

Post by Dip Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Pieman wrote:He will do a Kimmorley and play one more year, then go into a coaching role

On a side note - who was a better player
    Brett Kimmorley or Cooper Cronk?

Seriously? Kimmorley had a few good years at various stages of his career which would have been at the level or close to what Cronk has done every year, but he also had a few quiet years mixed in there as well.

Kimmorley probably was under appreciated though. Was playing well enough to keep Johns out of halfback for state and national teams for a while, and really did nothing wrong at rep level other than put a pass on Matty Bowen's chest in golden point that everyone remembers.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Cronk. You can't discredit his achievements because he's had Smith and Slater with him, who's to say he's the weak link and not them without him?

Kimmorley had good patches but I don't think he was as consistent as Cronk and to be fair I don't think many people are.

Johns. Lockyer. Thurston are probably the only consistent halves that I would put ahead of Cronk.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Cronk has clearly had the better career - but there could be a debate about who the better player was/is.

Kimmorley changed the way halfbacks play with his flat play. Before him, halves were generally much much deeper in the line. I dont think I have ever seen a half play as flat as kimmorley use to.

At his peak he was as good as Johns, Lockyer and Cronks of the game but def wasnt able to maintain it for as long as those other blokes.

Cronk has been a picture of consistency throughout the back half of his career and has been as good any half in the game. He has never had the vision guys like Johns/Lockyer/Thurson had tho and Through the first half of his career though he was largely a one dimensional, robotic player. Its only the last 3 or 4 years where he as actually played a bit of footy and not been the 100% gameplan sort of guy.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 am

Pieman wrote:Cronk has clearly had the better career - but there could be a debate about who the better player was/is.

Kimmorley changed the way halfbacks play with his flat play. Before him, halves were generally much much deeper in the line. I dont think I have ever seen a half play as flat as kimmorley use to.

At his peak he was as good as Johns, Lockyer and Cronks of the game but def wasnt able to maintain it for as long as those other blokes.

Cronk has been a picture of consistency throughout the back half of his career and has been as good any half in the game. He has never had the vision guys like Johns/Lockyer/Thurson had tho and Through the first half of his career though he was largely a one dimensional, robotic player. Its only the last 3 or 4 years where he as actually played a bit of footy and not been the 100% gameplan sort of guy.

Whose the better player? Dual Dally M winner, CCM winner and reigning Golden Boot or a guy who played less then a dozen origin games?

Real head scratcher.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 am

someone is grumpy today Smile
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 am

Mitchell Pearce firming as the sacrificial lamb. Reynolds and Junior Junior in the halves. That's the knd of mediocrity at the foundation of the Tigers. Looking forward to him coming back to his spiritual roots. NOT !!
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am

Wow.. I thought Keary would be the one to go if they got him. Pearce actually learning how to control a game from Cronk would be amazing for him to do for the back half of his career.

The only reason must be that a rival club is willing to pay more % of pearces contract so they save more money by getting rid of the more expensive (and better) player.

Pearce is a very good club halfback, but all know how he plays when he is under pressure against a better team.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:18 am

There's also rumour Pearce goes to Hooker and they punt Friend, but I don't see that. Keary is the future, so have Cronk mentor him and if I had to pick between Friend and Pearce,

Uncle Nick to Pearce wrote:So no one told you life was gonna be this way
    Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
    It's like you're always stuck in second gear
    When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year,
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 am

I reckon pearce would be a very, very good hooker.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:53 am

If I have to read another story about how the Roosters can afford Cronk and Teddy when they’ve dumped about 6 players who would combined free up probably no more than either of those two, I’ll vomit in my mouth.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Dip wrote:If I have to read another story about how the Roosters can afford Cronk and Teddy when they’ve dumped about 6 players who would combined free up probably no more than either of those two, I’ll vomit in my mouth.

RTS, SKD, Watson, Carter, Evans, Guerrera - not to mention the SBW money they had set aside just in case.

RTS, SKD & Watson cover Tedddy, Carter, Evans & Guerrera cover the minimum wages to get to 25 and SBW is a straight swap for Cronk.

Dip

Post by Dip Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:31 pm

No Worries wrote:

RTS, SKD, Watson, Carter, Evans, Guerrera - not to mention the SBW money they had set aside just in case.

RTS, SKD & Watson cover Tedddy, Carter, Evans & Guerrera cover the minimum wages to get to 25 and SBW is a straight swap for Cronk.

I think this is tongue in cheek ala "we still have the Darren Lockyer money left over" isn't it?

RTS left after 2015. Carter would be on not much more than minimum contract if at all given his history and baggage. Watson and Evans were good players but probably coming off contracts they signed when under 20 players, so not that high. SKD would have been on reasonable money, but not overly high as a winger. Guerra is a regular rep player, but wouldn't be really high you'd imagine.

I doubt there'd be much left aside for SBW. If there was, coming second when a mill under the salary cap is astounding. Gordon & Fergo & JWH might be on smaller contracts, but you'd imagine if true that wouldn't do much more than offsetting Mitchell, Napa's etc upgrade.

One of the articles I read even suggests that they will no longer be paying any of Jackson Hasting's contract in 2018. As if that is going to be significant in signing a duel Dally M medalist and reigning test half.

I get this might come across as pot calling the kettle black when I'm a Broncos supporter, but when it comes to salary caps and signings, aren't you looking at player turnover and growth from junior ranks that you can normally keep a bit cheaper than poaching them? Getting 3 minor premierships in a row in 2013-15 with a pretty small player turnover is a bit of a red flag for me. Look at the other team that won 3 minor premierships in a row in the salary cap era...
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Dip wrote:

I think this is tongue in cheek ala "we still have the Darren Lockyer money left over" isn't it?

Everything else you said was a close second in accuracy to this

:pp:

But in seriousness replace RTS with a Friend or Pearce exit and that would be closer to the shit they would be selling the NRL.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:49 am

Article today saying that friend is set to be released to sign cronk.
    Will be interesting to see where he goes, who needs a hooker? The tigers? Newcastle? Parra?

Pearce to play hooker, IMO he will be excellent there - been saying it for years.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:23 pm

Dip wrote:

Mate, we havn;t even dipped into the Lockyer money yet - we're still living off Izzy and KHunt coin.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 am

ryno_ wrote:

Mate, we havn;t even dipped into the Lockyer money yet - we're still living off Izzy and KHunt coin.
    Dont forget about the GI money, havent even thought about touching that yet
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Pieman wrote:
    Dont forget about the GI money, havent even thought about touching that yet
    Don't forget the money we saved that was set aside for GI and his request for a brand new boat for his Father. We haven't even touched that yet.
    Dip

Post by Dip Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:56 pm

There isn’t much of the Darren Lockyer money left any more, because he was taking a low salary of $200,000 a year to play for the Broncos.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Dip wrote: There isn’t much of the Darren Lockyer money left any more, because he was taking a low salary of $200,000 a year to play for the Broncos.
    Dont forget the 150k Parker was on too
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:19 am

I thought Parker was paying the Broncos to play ??

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 pm