NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Share
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2297
    Reputation : 199
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 pm

    Fair enough you guys disagree i see your points and dont get me wrong, I dont think Mansour is a bad decision. Just not the one I would have made. Also I feel the reasoning behind justifying his selection from some people is silly IMO.

    I think Ted should be rewarded for his excellent few years by being selected in the squad and there is no doubt he would be very very good in the role. Just like pretty much every other elite player who gets picked to play in a different position to what they normally do. There are a number of guys who will be playing in positions we have never seen them play meaningful games in, so why not ted - a genuine superstar of the game. There is absolutely no doubt that Tedesco would be an excellent winger. Absolutely no doubt what so ever.

    Mansour still forgets to catch sometimes, some of his reads in defence are horrible, but his dummy half and power running is fucking awesome. But IMO he is not half the player Ted is no matter what position either play.

    The general consensus for teams is (especially a side like the broncos) - pick the best players and put them in the side somewhere. Anyone who says they would pick mansour in their side over Tedesco is looney (even Mal in this instance) even if you were picking either to play wing or fullback. Picking Mansour is a safer call - but its the wrong one IMO.

    Might be a moot point as Mansour may not even play considering Holmes, Gagai, TTrbo are in the side haha
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2297
    Reputation : 199
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:09 pm

    @ryno_ wrote:

    Swing and a miss.

    I know you did. Nice try though, points for thinking outside the box.
    I mean, There is throwing haymakers that miss and then there is closing your eyes and swinging your arms around imitating a helicopter.

    You might have missed the other post of yours I addressed too mate, go back have a squiz

    Oh I also forgot to mention that the person who got picked at fullback over him was the grand final winning captain and fullback that year lol
    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 1486
    Reputation : 255
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 28

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by ryno_ on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:16 pm

    @Pieman wrote:
    Oh I also forgot to mention that the person who got picked at fullback over him was the grand final winning captain CCM and fullback that year lol

    Hmmmm. Wonder if theres any parallels we can draw from that....

    You're playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess mate.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2297
    Reputation : 199
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:43 pm

    @ryno_ wrote:

    Hmmmm. Wonder if theres any parallels we can draw from that....

    You're playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess mate.

    U wott.. ??

    Sure, there could be if the debate was about him being picked over Slater. But its not, never was nor should it be. So yeah, you could draw that parallel, but it would be totally irrelevant to this convo.
    If Im playing checkers, that comment from you just proves you are playing underwater hockey.

    I cant believe you think Dugan is a better centre than James Roberts. Ya know, considering you said that a player who doesnt get picked in the Aussie side isnt good enough to be selected.
    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 1486
    Reputation : 255
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 28

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by ryno_ on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46 pm

    @Pieman wrote:you said that a player who doesnt get picked in the Aussie side isnt good enough to be selected.

    Is... Is this a controversial opinion?
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2297
    Reputation : 199
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:33 pm

    @ryno_ wrote:

    Is... Is this a controversial opinion?

    Is Josh Dugan a better centre than James Roberts?
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2297
    Reputation : 199
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:35 pm

    Im still shocked at your "4 year ago italy argument" and you trying to change the argument to slater bring picked over him.. lol
    avatar
    Moose

    Posts : 1079
    Reputation : 564
    Join date : 2017-05-19

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Moose on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:30 pm

    @No Worries wrote:

    What does the full set up include ? Projector and queen size sheet ?
    Guessing you are imagining something like this? Outdoor movie nights are not far off that...

    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 1486
    Reputation : 255
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 28

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by ryno_ on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:31 pm

    @Pieman wrote:

    Is Josh Dugan a better centre than James Roberts?

    I'd have them on par with each other. Roberts has pace, sure, but Dugan is better in defence and offers more versatility. I also think Roberts will be a club star his whole career but not be as good at rep level, when he can't rely on at least one spastic in the other side to pick on. I think they call it Mitchell Pearce syndrome. When Dugan already has incumbency, I dont have a drama with his inclusion.

    @Pieman wrote:Im still shocked at your "4 year ago italy argument" and you trying to change the argument to slater bring picked over him.. lol

    Im not changing the argument to anything... last world cup he was held out of his favoured position of FB and didn't play on the wing (and - let me spell it out for you - therefore has zero runs on the board playing wing), as will happen this world cup. He shouldn't force his way into the side in a position he has barely played in his career, when there's perfectly good players in front of him. Thats the argument. Im not sure where you think the falsehood is.

    2013 - Held out of FB by Mini, would be left out of the backline if there was other suitable backline players available. Left with no wing experience.
    2017 - Held out of FB by a range of players, left out of the backline as there are other suitable backline players available. Has no wing experience on his resume.

    Join the fucking dots. He's not good enough to be in the side.

    /argument. done. QED. dribble into the wind.





    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 1486
    Reputation : 255
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 28

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by ryno_ on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:32 pm

    @Moose wrote:
    Guessing you are imagining something like this? Outdoor movie nights are not far off that...


    Whats the sound setup you have? Feel the crowd behind you?

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1124
    Reputation : 265
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:57 pm

    @leaguegod wrote:

    Do we ?




    i would have picked teddy over mansour but i'm not gonna concern myself to much about, i just think that before bringing in a replacement for boyd we covered all positions fairly well and it was either the fullback who is a better player who could possibly (as you say, not definitely ) cover winger/centre or the winger who is not quite as good and almost certainly couldn't cover any position other then the wing

    Funny to think that if this moment hadn't paid off for the Cows they wouldn't have even made the finals (let alone the GF).

    Such a fine line between a bloody successful season and an utter failure.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2297
    Reputation : 199
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:38 am

    @ryno_ wrote:

    I'd have them on par with each other. Roberts has pace, sure, but Dugan is better in defence and offers more versatility. I also think Roberts will be a club star his whole career but not be as good at rep level, when he can't rely on at least one spastic in the other side to pick on. I think they call it Mitchell Pearce syndrome. When Dugan already has incumbency, I dont have a drama with his inclusion.



    Im not changing the argument to anything... last world cup he was held out of his favoured position of FB and didn't play on the wing (and - let me spell it out for you - therefore has zero runs on the board playing wing), as will happen this world cup. He shouldn't force his way into the side in a position he has barely played in his career, when there's perfectly good players in front of him. Thats the argument. Im not sure where you think the falsehood is.

    2013 - Held out of FB by Mini, would be left out of the backline if there was other suitable backline players available. Left with no wing experience.
    2017 - Held out of FB by a range of players, left out of the backline as there are other suitable backline players available. Has no wing experience on his resume.

    Join the fucking dots. He's not good enough to be in the side.

    /argument. done. QED. dribble into the wind.





    1. So James roberts isnt good enough to make the australian side. Just confirming, sweet. He is not as good as Dugan because he was not selected over dugan. Cool, got it.

    2. It was 4 years ago..... ?? He was 20... he had not played a full season of FG... wtf? What an odd argument. The captain of the side was a modern day ... absolute crazy town. Thats like criticising Cleary for not being picked in the australian team at the end of last season... but doing it 4 years from now lol. And I am not saying he should be fullback - which is what your analogy was with this minichello garbage.

    I am saying that he is a fullback - therefore he is a better class of player than a winger and deserves a spot in the side.
    A fullback who plays on the wing in rep was dropped, and there is no reason Tedesco wouldnt be excellent on the wing.

    Smile

    Rekked ya again




    Ice

    Posts : 872
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Ice on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 pm

    @Pieman wrote:
    1. So James roberts isnt good enough to make the australian side. Just confirming, sweet. He is not as good as Dugan because he was not selected over dugan. Cool, got it.

    2. It was 4 years ago..... ?? He was 20... he had not played a full season of FG... wtf? What an odd argument. The captain of the side was a modern day ... absolute crazy town. Thats like criticising Cleary for not being picked in the australian team at the end of last season... but doing it 4 years from now lol. And I am not saying he should be fullback - which is what your analogy was with this minichello garbage.

    I am saying that he is a fullback - therefore he is a better class of player than a winger and deserves a spot in the side.
    A fullback who plays on the wing in rep was dropped, and there is no reason Tedesco wouldnt be excellent on the wing.

    Smile

    Rekked ya again




    I don't think Roberts is good enough for the Aus side, I mean, he'd go around surrounded by the stars, but it would be a promotion higher than his station in the game for mine.

    Hayne, Wighton, Hopoate, Coote, Gordon, Ross all before Mansour in this Aus side for you Pieman?

    I can see both sides of the argument, there is no reason Teddy wouldn't be better than Mansour on the wing, but presently their is no evidence based on form in that position that he would be. It's a logical argument that he may be based on what we see from his overall footballing ability, but that doesn't make it a reality. We do know Mansour will perform on the wing, he may actually also be a brilliant FB, but we just haven't seen it.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2297
    Reputation : 199
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:35 pm

    I dont think Roberts should have been selected, just wanted make him type that Dugan was a better player than Roberts - with his "if you dont get selected the other guy is better than you" sort of argument. And he admitted that through sticking to his reasoning, so.... got immmmmmm

    Its a whole other argument as to whether he is good enough to be there or not.

    Yeah I agree Ice - I can see both sides. Personally, I think Ted has been hard done by tho. Yeah mate I said there are exceptions to the rule as well. Generally speaking tho, FB's (and pretty much every elite FB) would make better wingers than most of the elite wingers (again, exceptions to the rule as with everything).

    All G - TTrbo deserves a spot on the wing before Mansour too IMO.

    Ice

    Posts : 872
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Ice on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:14 am

    Fair enough.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3470
    Reputation : 974
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by No Worries on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:27 am

    Reading that Hardraker is only provisionally suspended. Anyone know what the ESL policy is on recreational positives ? Do they still get a B sample test ? Seems a strange one to say "provisionally"
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2297
    Reputation : 199
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Pieman on Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:14 pm

    so hayne cant even get a start at FB for fiji
    avatar
    Mighty Fishes
    Moderator

    Posts : 3753
    Reputation : 883
    Join date : 2015-08-01

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Mighty Fishes on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:36 pm

    I hope Farah doesn't pass to Moses
    avatar
    dasherhalo

    Posts : 483
    Reputation : 108
    Join date : 2015-10-23

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by dasherhalo on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 am

    Was on a plane from Sydney to Cairns yesterday. Had the Tongans on board. Some big units there, and i mean "lay off the buffet" style big. Maybe i was looking at the support staff.

    Ice

    Posts : 872
    Reputation : 44
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

    Post by Ice on Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:07 pm

    @Pieman wrote:so hayne cant even get a start at FB for fiji

    Missed the game. Where did he play? I guess we will see come game 1.

      Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:42 am