NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

Pieman
    Pieman

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

Post by Pieman Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm

surmo13 wrote:take the romance out off it, i guarentee the Rugby League corner of the internet would be in peak meltdown mode if the Broncos scored like that to win any game, let alone a knock-out game.

i mean shit, the exact same thing happened to McGillvary in the preceding set, and if it was ruled as a strip, it would've been England scrum because the ball went towards England's try-line
    leave the bronco's out of it for once mate haha

The ball went flying towards tonga didnt it with the other strip?? It was a textbook one on one strip, no knock on that went backwards off the defender?.. I would have to see it again but from memory thats what it was..??

The issue in the NRL with calls like that, is they arent consistent with the calls. 100% that could be a try one week and no try the next.
    As I said, I am happy it was called a no try because the attacker should hold onto the fucking ball. Its not like that in the NRL tho, not consistently.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread

Post by standard-issue Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:02 pm

SI wrote:

Great game though and yeah, Tonga very unlucky.  Can see them capitulating if the Poms score first this half.  Hopefully not.

What an impressive scholar of the game I am! I read it about as well as Noddy calls it.

Embarassed
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Its hard coz I quite like noddy, he doesnt muck around and obviously knows his footy but fuck me dead he can not string a sentence together on camera. The bloke needs to relax and talk slower and actually say what he is trying to say.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Pieman wrote:Its hard coz I quite like noddy, he doesnt muck around and obviously knows his footy but fuck me dead he can not string a sentence together on camera. The bloke needs to relax and talk slower and actually say what he is trying to say.

Yeah, I like him as well, and feel bad every time I pull the piss out of him with what he has been through. He is definitely a lot better than he was at being coherent. If Lockyer and Joey still have a job, no reason why Noddy can't I guess.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Pieman wrote:
    The ball went flying towards tonga didnt it with the other strip?? It was a textbook one on one strip, no knock on that went backwards off the defender?.. I would have to see it again but from memory thats what it was..??.

yeh never mind, i'll never claim to have the best short term memory and i can admit when i'm wrong (you should try it sometime), reddit helpfully posted a vid of the last 5 minutes of the match and it went towards Tonga's tryline... HOWEVER, it was ruled as a knock-on by McGillvary and not a strip, and we can know that because zero tackle was used, which in general play only comes into effect if a scrum would've taken place instead.

Has to said though, i'm finding a lot of humour in watching journos, who have been saying that all they want is for refs to back themselves make the tough calls on the field, crying about this
    Dip

Post by Dip Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Knock on for sure.
    Ice

Post by Ice Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:08 pm

To be honest, I can't come at this "loose carry" business, I don't like a loose carry, but there is nothing in the rules that says you can't carry the ball losely. If a guy has a hand big enough to simply palm the ball, then he is entitled to do so under the rules of the game without an opposing player play at and strip the ball out, cause the rules say you can't do that. To that end, if sent up stairs, the only call that could have been made was played at and stripped by and English player, regathered and put don't over the try line. It 100% should have been sent up stairs whether it was the 8th or 80th minute and the result should have been a try.

Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:31 pm

I don’t think he played at the ball, I think he tried to make the tackle from behind after the initial miss. The ref didn’t think he played at it so if he went up stairs the video ref would have to somehow find enough evidence to rule he intentionally played at the ball which I don’t see how he could have
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:24 am

Pom was clearly just attempting a tackle to me, knocednthe ball out with his hand but I’d hate for that to be called a strip every time. Cecchin had an average game but I thought he was spot on at the end regardless of how much we all wanted Tonga to win
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:47 am

surmo13 wrote:

yeh never mind, i'll never claim to have the best short term memory and i can admit when i'm wrong (you should try it sometime),

I happily will if and when the day comes that I'm wrong

Smile
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:50 am

But yeah, I wanted Tonga to win and it would have been awesome, but I think they got the right call in the end. As I said, the only thing that annoys me is that in the NRL we see that all the time and one call is a knock on and one call is a strip.
    Moose
    Moose

Post by Moose Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:40 am

Pieman wrote:

I happily will if and when the day comes that I'm wrong

Smile

Today is the day

Pieman wrote:
    you cant spell Goose with oose
    Goose
    oose

How else do you spell it?

Coffee

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Thread - Page 13 Giphy

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:33 am

Obviously that was autocorrect afro
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:44 am

tbh, pretty annoyed how long the ref hate lasted on social media, print etc

to me, guy was clearly making a tackle, i think we call strip to easily as it is but that was clearly a knock on

and i don't get the whole "should ahve checked it argument"

a) if ref went up no try, there is no way it gets over turned, so why does it matter ?
    b) if it did get overturned, england would have actually been robbbed
    c) if the pommie video sticks with no try, people try and claim that a biased ref ruined the WC or some rubbish
    d) we whinge about them not going up all the time, checchin was right there, made the correct call and we still whinge Suspect

i reckon the poms have a legitimate shot against us, only team in the WC thats unlikely to gift us easy tries (including NZ, tonga) and i think they are better for having a proper semi-final. i think we will win but i think we certainly would have won much more comfortably against tonga.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:22 am

leaguegod wrote:tbh, pretty annoyed how long the ref hate lasted on social media, print etc

to me, guy was clearly making a tackle, i think we call strip to easily as it is but that was clearly a knock on

and i don't get the whole "should ahve checked it argument"

a) if ref went up no try, there is no way it gets over turned, so why does it matter ?
    b) if it did get overturned, england would have actually been robbbed
    c) if the pommie video sticks with no try, people try and claim that a biased ref ruined the WC or some rubbish
    d) we whinge about them not going up all the time, checchin was right there, made the correct call and we still whinge Suspect

i reckon the poms have a legitimate shot against us, only team in the WC thats unlikely to gift us easy tries (including NZ, tonga) and i think they are better for having a proper semi-final. i think we will win but i think we certainly would have won much more comfortably against tonga.

Completely agree LG.

My concern with the overwhelming calls that it 'should have gone to the video ref' are that in slow motion, these decision are often incorrectly overturned.
    Not a big fan of Chechin as a ref but in this instance he made a bold decision that also happened to be correct and thus should be commended.

Poms have worried me all tournament TBH.
    Maybe my bias means I rate Bennett too highly but I just worry that he knows you can't be 'up' all the time and how to get a team to peak when it matters, whether it be throughout a finals series or a tournament like this.
    I think he'll also have the underdog mentality drilled into them, plus they are generally a well organised team, particularly defensively.

I do think we still are a class above and should win but I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable if I had my life savings riding on the game.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:58 am

to make matter worse OSM

Tongan fans who have marching the street for "2nd tier nation equality" after getting knocked out by a correct referee call have also found cechin's adresss and he has received death threats

and some kiwi journo tried to claim that the call was some form of racism

fuck me, tonga were a great story but they're going the other way now and being a bunch of cunts about this
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:11 am

Chechin's fucked, they know he's address and there's no way he can get a removalist to move him.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Completely agree LG.

My concern with the overwhelming calls that it 'should have gone to the video ref' are that in slow motion, these decision are often incorrectly overturned.
    Not a big fan of Chechin as a ref but in this instance he made a bold decision that also happened to be correct and thus should be commended.

Poms have worried me all tournament TBH.
    Maybe my bias means I rate Bennett too highly but I just worry that he knows you can't be 'up' all the time and how to get a team to peak when it matters, whether it be throughout a finals series or a tournament like this.
    I think he'll also have the underdog mentality drilled into them, plus they are generally a well organised team, particularly defensively.

I do think we still are a class above and should win but I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable if I had my life savings riding on the game.

The decisions are also often correctly overturned. Cudos for Chech for making the call and its great that he thought it was clear cut enough to not go upstairs. Awesome. But it was a bloody iffy call in a big moment and this the time he should have gone up, and had confirmation that he made the correct decision. They need to stop going upstairs for all the clear cut tries that they go up for. They go up far too often and need to just reserve it for the fucking iffy moments like that. 100% should have been looked at, just to confirm it was the correct call, considering it was to decide who would make the final of the world cup. Bloody stupid that they didnt go up and look actually.

Also, its fucking disgusting what is happening regarding the fallout. So stupid, it was the right call. How can you riot over the correct decision? I dont understand.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Regardless of whether the decision was right or not, there is absolutely no doubt if it was Australia, he would have gone upstairs, no doubt about it at all.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Pieman wrote:

The decisions are also often correctly overturned. Cudos for Chech for making the call and its great that he thought it was clear cut enough to not go upstairs. Awesome. But it was a bloody iffy call in a big moment and this the time he should have gone up, and had confirmation that he made the correct decision. They need to stop going upstairs for all the clear cut tries that they go up for. They go up far too often and need to just reserve it for the fucking iffy moments like that. 100% should have been looked at, just to confirm it was the correct call, considering it was to decide who would make the final of the world cup. Bloody stupid that they didnt go up and look actually.

Also, its fucking disgusting what is happening regarding the fallout. So stupid, it was the right call. How can you riot over the correct decision? I dont understand.

I guess my concern that it could have been overturned, says more about my complete lack of faith in the video ref, as opposed to any commentary on whether Cecchin should have sent it upstairs or not.
    Maybe Cecchin shares the same lack of faith?

I'm happy for the iffy moments which benefit from increased scrutiny to go upstairs (e.g. did it touch a hand or did they step out etc. where zoomed vision or different camera angles can assist) but my personal opinion is that anything subjective or in a grey area like this should be left for the on field ref to make a call based on what they have seen in full speed - the same for obstructions and other such rulings.

Ice wrote:Regardless of whether the decision was right or not, there is absolutely no doubt if it was Australia, he would have gone upstairs,  no doubt about it at all.

Why?

Ceechin is undoubtedly a cunt.....but he seems like he is equally a cunt to all teams.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 pm