NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

Final 8 System

Dip

Re: Final 8 System

Post by Dip on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Easy solution rewarding the higher ranked teams:
    Week 1 - 7 at home plays 8
    Week 2 - 6 at home plays week 1 winner
    Week 3 - 5 at home plays week 2 winner
    Week 4 - 4 at home plays week 3 winner
    Week 5 - 3 at home plays week 4 winner
    Week 6 (Preliminary Final) - 2 at home plays week 5 winner
    Week 7 (Grand Final) - 1 at home plays week 6 winner

Will be a bloody boring 2 months with some rusty teams, but certainly the fairest...

Dip

Post by Dip on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Storm v Eels and Sharks v Cowboys would be terrible finals matchups? Good thing we dont have the McI system or we'd be forced to watch those shit games! Wait a minute....

I dont care how hard or easy a teams' passage to the GF is year by year. You can't slot in teams and hypothetical results to argue a point.

The McI (and Ice system for that matter) system is better because it actually gives a decent advantage between coming 1st and 4th. When you get to 8 teams, why should the minor premiers have basically the same advantage as a team in the middle of the remaining pack of teams? The only difference is the location of the week 1 game? Big woop.

Teams 1 & 2 have a reasonably significant advantage over teams 3 and 4 IMO in that they have 2 home city finals, where teams 3 & 4 only have 1 home city final. Same with 5 & 6 over 7 & 8, but with 1 home city final compared to none.
    Milchcow

Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017

Post by Milchcow on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm

ryno_ wrote:

Storm v Eels and Sharks v Cowboys would be terrible finals matchups? Good thing we dont have the McI system or we'd be forced to watch those shit games! Wait a minute....

It would be terrible because the Eels would win week 1, and get "rewarded" with a trip to melbourne for a knock out game.

The Sharks punishment for losing would be a home game against 8th placed team.

Happens a lot in McIntyre where a week 1 winner gets a harder week 2 game than the team they just beat. Allowing losers to maintain homeground advantage would only make that situation worse.

Ice

Post by Ice on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Milchcow wrote:

This would be terrible.

Lets just say we did that this year, and Cowboys managed to upset the Storm, and Roosters and Broncos both won.

Then the winner of Eels vs Sharks would play the Storm in an elimination game in Melbourne, and the loser would play the Cowboys in Sydney.

McIntyre created terrible week 2 match ups if there were some upsets in the first week, and nobody should be calling for its return.

It bears repeating that if the Cowboys win this year they'll have beaten 5th, 4th, 2nd and 1st to do so, all of them away from home. What more do you want? Should we have a 7 week final system just to make sure that nobody progresses without beating everyone else?

Re that last bit, it's still the easiest run team 8 has ever had to appear in a GF. If they fail, to get there they have beaten 5,4 and 2.

To get there in 2009, the Eels had to beat 1,3 and 2. You do the maths on what is harder for team 8.

That same year, The Minor Premiers had to play 8 which they lost and 6 which they lost, but if they'd won in week 2 would have met team 4 in week 3.

This year, 1st had to play 4th, then 3rd to make the big dance.

So tell me, what system advantages 1 and what system advantages 8?

Ice

Post by Ice on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:16 pm

This current system, without any shadow of a doubt has increased the advNtage for teams Seven and eight at the expense of teams one and two.

Ice

Post by Ice on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:27 pm

ryno_ wrote:

I dont care how hard or easy a teams' passage to the GF is year by year. You can't slot in teams and hypothetical results to argue a point.

The McI (and Ice system for that matter) system is better because it actually gives a decent advantage between coming 1st and 4th. When you get to 8 teams, why should the minor premiers have basically the same advantage as a team in the middle of the remaining pack of teams? The only difference is the location of the week 1 game? Big woop.

Preach Brother.

There was two issue people had with the McIntrye system.

1) because of the order of the games, a higher ranked teamed that lost might have had to wait until another game was over to know their fate. Simple solution, switch the order of games.
    2) In week 2, if games go to seeding, then it's 3v5 and 4v6 ie 4 getting a slightly better advantage in week two as they don't want to repeat games from week one. Fair cop, but honestly, big deal, those 4 teams are pretty much even anyway.

The other gripe was that teams 3&4 can be knocked out in week 1. I say, if you don't finish top 2 and lose in week 1 to a lower ranked team, then tough luck. If 5,6,7&8 are all good enough to win Inc week one, then 3&4 aren't good enough to be there in week 2.

A slight tweak to who gets home ground advantage could have fixed any issues also, ie a higher ranked team always gets home ground in week 2.

Ice

Post by Ice on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:31 pm

Dip wrote:

Teams 1 & 2 have a reasonably significant advantage over teams 3 and 4 IMO in that they have 2 home city finals, where teams 3 & 4 only have 1 home city final. Same with 5 & 6 over 7 & 8, but with 1 home city final compared to none.

"Home City" is the biggest load of shite ever.

That said 1 and 2 have a slight advantage but the disparity in advantage between 4 and 5 is ridiculous.

Manly got a "home city" advantage over the Panthers playing in Homebush!! Rightio, some advantage. (Just as an example)

I think in week one ALL teams who have earned home ground advantage should get to play at their actual home ground. League will never consistently (or ever) fill the major stadiums in week

Ice

Post by Ice on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Milchcow wrote:

It would be terrible because the Eels would win week 1, and get "rewarded" with a trip to melbourne for a knock out game.

The Sharks punishment for losing would be a home game against 8th placed team.

Happens a lot in McIntyre where a week 1 winner gets a harder week 2 game than the team they just beat. Allowing losers to maintain homeground advantage would only make that situation worse.

I can't see where this happens. If 3 beats 6 and 4 beats 5, then 6 doesn't get an easier game in week 2 than team 3. 6 would play away to 4, which is a harder game than 3 being at home to 5.

My personal view is that the best system gives the greatest advantage to the highest ranked teams in week 1. From there, you say, "it's finals, it's time to win, but lose and you lose your advantage"

Only 1st and 2nd should be safe from elimination in week 1.
    Losers in week 1 (other than 1&2) should k ow that if that lose, they risk elimination.
    Losers in week 1 should NOT be rewarded with home ground advantage in week 2.
    7&8 should never get a home game and all games they play must be elimination.
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:23 am

Dip wrote:

It just isnt enough advantage. They get the same number of "lives". If they win or lose in week 1 they play the same team the following week. The only difference is the location of 1 game? Why bother bust your gut for 26 weeks to finish first, when the only difference between 1st and finishing 4th is 1 home game, which might end up being a home game by technicality only, if a team is forced to play in an empty stadium in a "nearby" city?

It devalues the preceding 7 months of football when teams who are, by definition, middle of the road of remaining teams get bugger all difference to teams who have been dominant all year.
    Revraiser

Post by Revraiser on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:27 am

This is the year of the 'Bradbury' Grand final, one of the most uninspiring i have ever seen.

We need a top 6 in our current sized comp.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 am

I dont know how you can say that the Cows are uninspiring...
    They are prob the most inspirational team I have ever seen play, or close to it.

Plus, the current Storm are one of the greatest sides ever assembled. As much as I dont want them to win I can appreciate how fucking good they are and appreciate all the hard work they have put in and the systems they have in place down there. Absolutely amazing.

They are still benefiting from the cap rorting tho

Personally, I still think that the season is too long and the scheduling is all out of whack and have pretty much lost interest in most games after state of time through to finals.
    Revraiser

Post by Revraiser on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:29 am

On the surface, Cowboys winning as outsiders with out Thurston and after falling into the 8 based on other limp teams, it is a tidy effort. But watching each game & more so the 3 semifinals, each fave has played well below there best and the Cowboys havent even looked that good game to game. I love my League, and in all my years I have never felt like this about a finals series. I appreciate the Storm very much so, clinical team. I'll be watching the GF, I just hope the Cowboys play the 80 right out.

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 pm