NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Share

    Dip

    Posts : 1268
    Reputation : 183
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Post by Dip on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:02 pm

    As previously confessed, I'm a bit of a sea nut around origin time. That usually lasts until the first NRL game following origin, so I have another day to still be a bit nasty. All the talk regarding Mitchell Pearce makes me wonder what a team would like like if you just picked guys who looked great in the NRL when they were selected, but never went close to that at origin and their selection eventually made you cringe. I've given preference to more recent players, but what does everyone think? Obviously can't have a bench full of NSW wingers and props, so have taken some liberty there, and just included them in the squad.

    1. Brett Hodgson
    2. Nathan Merritt
    3. Jamal Idris
    4. Dylan Walker
    5. Aquila Uate
    6. Cliff Lyons
    7. Mitchell Pearce
    8. Steve Simpson
    9. Michael Ennis
    10. Jason Poore
    11. Ben Creagh
    12. Dave Taylor
    13. Anthony Tupou
    14. Daly Cherry-Evans
    15. Trent Merrin
    16. Luke Bailey
    17. Aaron Woods

    Squad: Brett White, Jason King, young Brett Morris, Michael Weyman, Hazam El Masri, Eric Grothe Jr, young Ryan Hoffman, Matt Bowen, Terry Campese

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1106
    Reputation : 262
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:11 pm

    @Dip wrote:As previously confessed, I'm a bit of a sea nut around origin time. That usually lasts until the first NRL game following origin, so I have another day to still be a bit nasty. All the talk regarding Mitchell Pearce makes me wonder what a team would like like if you just picked guys who looked great in the NRL when they were selected, but never went close to that at origin and their selection eventually made you cringe. I've given preference to more recent players, but what does everyone think? Obviously can't have a bench full of NSW wingers and props, so have taken some liberty there, and just included them in the squad.

    1. Brett Hodgson
    2. Nathan Merritt
    3. Jamal Idris
    4. Dylan Walker
    5. Aquila Uate
    6. Cliff Lyons
    7. Mitchell Pearce
    8. Steve Simpson
    9. Michael Ennis
    10. Jason Poore
    11. Ben Creagh
    12. Dave Taylor
    13. Anthony Tupou
    14. Daly Cherry-Evans
    15. Trent Merrin
    16. Luke Bailey
    17. Aaron Woods

    Squad: Brett White, Jason King, young Brett Morris, Michael Weyman, Hazam El Masri, Eric Grothe Jr, young Ryan Hoffman, Matt Bowen, Terry Campese

    I think you're taking the piss a little bit mate with selecting 3 QLDers out of the total 26 players you've mentioned.







    Should have been zero selected....

    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3408
    Reputation : 951
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Post by No Worries on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:04 pm

    Similar vein to the piss take best NSW origin side I put up. Don't know you have picked the worst of the worst that NSW have picked. I slight spin would be those players who everyone but the selectors new were going to fail and couldn't make the step up.

    leaguegod

    Posts : 838
    Reputation : 72
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Re: NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Post by leaguegod on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:37 am

    putting on my bulldog hat here


    what go el masri into this squad ? he played 1 game and was never exposed at all, nsw won and haz did everything asked of him


    not saying he was rep success, he barely played but origin liability ? please

    Dip

    Posts : 1268
    Reputation : 183
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Post by Dip on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:51 am

    @leaguegod wrote:putting on my bulldog hat here


    what go el masri into this squad ? he played 1 game and was never exposed at all, nsw won and haz did everything asked of him


    not saying he was rep success, he barely played but origin liability ? please

    Fair call. Luckily there's plenty of other NSW wingers to fill the squad.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2211
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Post by Pieman on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am

    @Dip wrote:As previously confessed, I'm a bit of a sea nut around origin time. That usually lasts until the first NRL game following origin, so I have another day to still be a bit nasty. All the talk regarding Mitchell Pearce makes me wonder what a team would like like if you just picked guys who looked great in the NRL when they were selected, but never went close to that at origin and their selection eventually made you cringe. I've given preference to more recent players, but what does everyone think? Obviously can't have a bench full of NSW wingers and props, so have taken some liberty there, and just included them in the squad.

    1. Brett Hodgson
    2. Nathan Merritt
    3. Jamal Idris
    4. Dylan Walker
    5. Aquila Uate
    6. Cliff Lyons
    7. Mitchell Pearce
    8. Steve Simpson
    9. Michael Ennis
    10. Jason Poore
    11. Ben Creagh
    12. Dave Taylor
    13. Anthony Tupou
    14. Daly Cherry-Evans
    15. Trent Merrin
    16. Luke Bailey
    17. Aaron Woods

    Squad: Brett White, Jason King, young Brett Morris, Michael Weyman, Hazam El Masri, Eric Grothe Jr, young Ryan Hoffman, Matt Bowen, Terry Campese
    If you want to chuck age in, young Justin Hodges is the fucking captain of this team.
    Glasby had a shocker in his first game too.

    What was wrong with brett white? he was good in origin.

    Dip

    Posts : 1268
    Reputation : 183
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Post by Dip on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:01 pm

    @Pieman wrote:
    If you want to chuck age in, young Justin Hodges is the fucking captain of this team.
    Glasby had a shocker in his first game too.

    What was wrong with brett white? he was good in origin.

    There is a world of difference between having an ordinary debut and having an ordinary 3-5 series before finishing off with good performances like Hoffman and Morris. Plus I would never put Glasby in as someone who got lots of wraps for his performances at club level. It's why I didn't out in guys like Buhrer or Mullen. When they were picked it wasn't because they were knocking the door down, more because of poor selections. I reckon every other player I've listed has been described by many (at least in the media) as "impossible to leave out of selection discussions".

    Brett White, like Hazem played origin probably at the time where there seemed the biggest gap between the two states. Perhaps I'm being harsh on him, but I don't really remember him as being any different to half the other gumbies you had in the team when you were playing. I might be getting him mixed up with the likes of Poore, Weyman etc though. Looking at my list I've probably been unfairly harsh on Tupou as well.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2211
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Post by Pieman on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:39 pm

    You cant say young brett morris and not put young justin hodges in.
    Morris has never been terrible in origin, yet has been very very good in origin.
    Hodges has been fucking terrible in origin, and very very good.

    Morris has had series were he was not the best player but he was never terrible.

    Besides the tallis thing, what did hodgeson do to make this side?
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2211
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Post by Pieman on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:40 pm

    Idris was never horrible either?

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1106
    Reputation : 262
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: NRL Superstar vs Origin Liability

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:09 am

    @Pieman wrote:You cant say young brett morris and not put young justin hodges in.
    Morris has never been terrible in origin, yet has been very very good in origin.
    Hodges has been fucking terrible in origin, and very very good.

    Morris has had series were he was not the best player but he was never terrible.

    Besides the tallis thing, what did hodgeson do to make this side?

    Hodgson can lay claim to starting QLD off on what is now a record run of series victories.

      Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:45 pm