NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2020 Parramatta Eels Thread......Lets not get carried away.

Moose
    Moose

2020 Parramatta Eels Thread......Lets not get carried away. - Page 10 Empty Re: 2020 Parramatta Eels Thread......Lets not get carried away.

Post by Moose Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm

leaguegod wrote:news dropping re Hayne being accused of rape in the states

Hayne is innocent until proven guilty. I suspect several media outlets and some fans won't keep that in mind over the coming days.
    Pieman
    Pieman

2020 Parramatta Eels Thread......Lets not get carried away. - Page 10 Empty Re: 2020 Parramatta Eels Thread......Lets not get carried away.

Post by Pieman Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:03 pm

are you sure it wasnt a report on hayne raping the titans for 1.2 mil last year?
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Let me guess, some bloke on Twitter calling himself Bayne Wennett.

Did someone say cheap signing ??
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Moose wrote:

Hayne is innocent until proven guilty. I suspect several media outlets and some fans won't keep that in mind over the coming days.
    Already been thrown out by the coppers for lack of evidence. This a just a civil suit/ money grab.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Krump wrote:
    Already been thrown out by the coppers for lack of evidence. This a just a civil suit/ money grab.

The burden of proof is less in a civil suit, the criminal case being thrown out for whatever reason isn't necessarily a sign that the civil case will go his way aswell.

If he were to lose the case, can he be compelled to pay money from Australia? Is Lodge?
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:21 pm

ryno_ wrote:

The burden of proof is less in a civil suit, the criminal case being thrown out for whatever reason isn't necessarily a sign that the civil case will go his way aswell.

If he were to lose the case, can he be compelled to pay money from Australia? Is Lodge?

indeed but obviously the previous criminal finding does add to the "should be treated as Innocent till proven otherwise"

i would be shocked if he wouldn't be forced to pay, simply due to the relationship between Australia and US, i would say not paying, would likely lead to criminal charges over there which Australia would not protect him from
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:36 pm

ryno_ wrote:

winning the criminal case (or lack of evidence to charge him) is most certainly a sign that the civil case will go his way. No, not 100% but its a pretty farking good indicator.

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Pieman wrote:

winning the criminal case (or lack of evidence to charge him) is most certainly a sign that the civil case will go his way. No, not 100% but its a pretty farking good indicator.

Someone should have told OJ that.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:14 pm

No Worries wrote:

Someone should have told OJ that.

OJ didnt do it
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Most likely theyll look for a settlement, wouldnt think it would be an excessive amount but they may want a public apology like Kobe Bryants
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:16 am

kobe definitely did it
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:04 am

I guess you all want me to chime in. Having sex with a person who is unable for whatever reason to provide consent is rape in my view. If he has had sex with the girl and she has been too pissed to provide appropriate consent, then lock him up. The absence of a denial of consent, does not constitute consent, let's be clear about that. I feel very strongly about that.

There are a few things here. 1. He'd made it, he realised his dream of cracking the NFL, why did he leave all of a sudden? To pursue Rugby 7s, I mean, it just didn't seem right then or now. 2. Has he denied any sexual contact with the girl? 3. What would she take his underwear? That seems strange for a "rape victim" to do. To be so aware of what's happened that you need to get evidence. It shows a level of calculation that I imagine the trauma of rape would likely prohibit in most victims. 4. Why didn't she report it right away? That is not unusual, but having taken "evidence" surely you'd want that in the hands of the authorities asap. 5. If it was a long game play for cash,it seems quite the elaborate play. Go in advance to a place you don't k ow someone is going to be, go back to his place, sleep with him, be lucky enough for him to leave before you wake allowing you to take some of his clothes, delay reporting it, wait for it Tom be thrown out for insufficient evidence, but be prepared to lodge a civil case, assuming she'd done the research to know that if she wins and is awarded compensation that Australian law will ensure payment is received (I'm not convinced that is actually the case to be honest). I mean, it's very elaborate to be all part of some genius cash grab.

When I weigh it all, on the balance of probabilities, I'd say he probably had sex with the girl, she was too pissed to give consent but her actions possibly made Hayne think she was keen, I reckon it probably happens daily in this country, and I strongly feel it's wrong, but I'm not sure culturally we have educated people sufficiently for the majority to actually think it's wrong. To that end, given the charges were dropped, he should be treated as innocent.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out, and regardless of the outcome, I think if it continues to keep a conversation about what is consent and what is acceptable in the media and amongst the greater populace and leads to less violence perpetrated against women then that is a good thing.

dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:32 am

Don't stress Ice. I'm sure everyone's quite happy to give you a ribbing about Hayne in "general play", but I don't think anyone is going to "play the man" in this situation. Somethings are just wrong to kid about......

Talking purely about the facts we know, you left one weird one out. Hayne originally denied having sex with the girl, then admitted it. THAT is a bad look. If you've done nothing wrong, why deny it when the cops come knocking?
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:31 am

dasherhalo wrote:Don't stress Ice. I'm sure everyone's quite happy to give you a ribbing about Hayne in "general play", but I don't think anyone is going to "play the man" in this situation. Somethings are just wrong to kid about......

Talking purely about the facts we know, you left one weird one out. Hayne originally denied having sex with the girl, then admitted it. THAT is a bad look. If you've done nothing wrong, why deny it when the cops come knocking?

He might have panicked and just gone into denial mode to try and distance himself from it. I don't think his story has changed once he's had a chance to collect himself. Not a good look though.

If all it comes down to is he-said-she-said, its a coin flip as to which way the trial goes.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Times like this I really enjoy this forum. There have been some terrible comments around the internet since this news broke but everyone here is being very mature.

Appreciate it, all of you!

My 2c?

We don't know all the facts. We may never know what happened. I agree with Ice in terms of what MAY have transpired. We can speculate all we want.

What we do know is the culture around this type of thing has to change. Education.

I don't think he should be treated as innocent but he should be treated as 'not guilty'.

In terms of Hayne's career, it will be interesting to follow from here.

What happens if he's found guilty in a civil suit? Do the Eels tear up his contract? Drop him for two weeks? Do nothing?
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:23 pm

dasherhalo wrote:Don't stress Ice. I'm sure everyone's quite happy to give you a ribbing about Hayne in "general play", but I don't think anyone is going to "play the man" in this situation. Somethings are just wrong to kid about......

I'm not expecting anyone to give me shit, I haven't done anything.

And yes, that is what I want to know, did he or didn't he have sexual relations with that woman. It's a very strange turn of events and crucial I would say to the civil case.

Like I said, I think on balance, he probably did, to that end, it's not a good look for him at all.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:25 pm

filthridden wrote:Times like this I really enjoy this forum. There have been some terrible comments around the internet since this news broke but everyone here is being very mature.

Appreciate it, all of you!

My 2c?

We don't know all the facts. We may never know what happened. I agree with Ice in terms of what MAY have transpired. We can speculate all we want.

What we do know is the culture around this type of thing has to change. Education.

I don't think he should be treated as innocent but he should be treated as 'not guilty'.

In terms of Hayne's career, it will be interesting to follow from here.

What happens if he's found guilty in a civil suit? Do the Eels tear up his contract? Drop him for two weeks? Do nothing?

Yep, agree with this.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:36 pm

What's the difference between innocent and not guilty?
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Krump wrote:What's the difference between innocent and not guilty?

Same as the difference between the video ref having enough evidence to confirm a on-field ref's call or merely uphold it.

filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Krump wrote:What's the difference between innocent and not guilty?

innocent - proven that you didn't do it.
    not guilty - can't be proven that you did.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 pm