NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Footballers behaving badly

Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Footballers behaving badly - Page 8 Empty Re: Footballers behaving badly

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:18 am

Krump wrote:
    Any footballer mentioning drugs is just fucking stupid, to say it on live TV as well just shows how dumb the bloke is. The phone angle is rubbish, Foran could well have been doing the same thing when he knew he was out but because the media don't see it nothing is said. If betting integrity is important to the NRL than they shouldhave a stewards panel.

It's a saying FFS.
    He isn't condoning the use of drugs.

It's merely unfortunate that the saying has evoked knee-jerk reactions from simpletons who have heard a bad word.
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:49 am

Honeysett wrote:http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/the-nrl-clubs-providing-the-best-and-worst-value-for-money/news-story/b6fae82070beb3268ce92905e918ad3c

Furthering my opinion that the NRL media attacks itself. Instead of hyping up the opening game that starts in ten minutes they post this with a title "which NRL clubs are ripping fans off" -- fuck I hate the media.

In fairness, after what the Warriors, Eels and Raiders have put their fans through week in and week out for a few years now, you'd want them to get cheap tickets. Surprised the Tigers weren't in the same category actually.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:49 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

It's a saying FFS.

It's merely unfortunate that the saying has evoked knee-jerk reactions from simpletons who have heard a bad word.
    The only time any player should ever mention drugs is to say that they are bad. Mmmmkay?
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:57 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

It's a saying FFS.

So if he had of made that comment last year amid the Titans coke scandal would you have thought and reacted the same ?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:57 am

Krump wrote:
    The only time any player should ever mention drugs is to say that they are bad. Mmmmkay?
    Joey Johns references drugs on the Sunday Footy Show several times a year. Mind you he isnt playing so is free to get on the pingas. Then again nothing much has changed since his playing days.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Bren wrote:
    Joey Johns references drugs on the Sunday Footy Show several times a year. Mind you he isnt playing so is free to get on the pingas. Then again nothing much has changed since his playing days.
    In what context?
    Dip

Post by Dip Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:04 pm

Jesus, players can't win. It was a funny line that wasn't condoning drugs or suggesting people take it or anything. He was just using it as a harmless metaphor not aimed at anyone (just a place). We criticise players for bland interviews, and they're going to get criticised for harmless funny ones too?

I doubt the NRL will have an issue with it either. If anything, the only person who may have something to answer is Bennett, for his "as long as he's not on a float at Mardi Gras", as some PC person will say that Bennett is implying it's not okay to be homosexual (which I don't think was his intention when he was put on the spot).
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:07 pm

Dip wrote:Jesus, players can't win. It was a funny line that wasn't condoning drugs or suggesting people take it or anything. He was just using it as a harmless metaphor not aimed at anyone (just a place). We criticise players for bland interviews, and they're going to get criticised for harmless funny ones too?

I doubt the NRL will have an issue with it either. If anything, the only person who may have something to answer is Bennett, for his "as long as he's not on a float at Mardi Gras", as some PC person will say that Bennett is implying it's not okay to be homosexual (which I don't think was his intention when he was put on the spot).
    If he can't think up something funny that doesn't mention drugs than he should give up the comedy act. I don't think he'll be in any trouble but it's still a stupid thing to say.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:34 pm

I forgot about Benny's homophobic slur. We don't need people like that in the game.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:53 pm

absolutely got no problem with what james roberts said, non issue, he was having a laugh

i can see why people will have a go at wayne tho, i don't think he meant anything hurtful, it was kind of that casual homophobic comment that to many of us (including myself) have gorwn up with around us.

i'm not gonna be one to care about it myself but mitch moses got 2 weeks for calling someone a gay cunt last year, not saying that is even remotely like that but i can understand wayne having somthing to answer for

which sadly means he'll go back to being the boring old stick figure he is 99% of the time
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:53 pm

leaguegod wrote:absolutely got no problem with what james roberts said, non issue, he was having a laugh

i can see why people will have a go at wayne tho, i don't think he meant anything hurtful, it was kind of that casual homophobic comment that to many of us (including myself) have gorwn up with around us.

i'm not gonna be one to care about it myself but mitch moses got 2 weeks for calling someone a gay cunt last year, not saying that is even remotely like that but i can understand wayne having somthing to answer for

which sadly means he'll go back to being the boring old stick figure he is 99% of the time

Yep a casual homophobic comment is exactly what it was and I thought it might have caused more of a stir to be honest.....actually I've probably spoken too soon and I wouldn't be surprised if the DT is trying desperately to get a hold of Ian Roberts as we speak for a comment about how much his feelings have been hurt....
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:10 pm

I thought Bennett's comment was about the speed of the floats. May have misheard, only saw it once briefly.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:12 am

dasherhalo wrote:I thought Bennett's comment was about the speed of the floats. May have misheard, only saw it once briefly.

Yeah when I first heard it I thought he was talking more about the slow speed of the floats and not that he can't be gay.
    No Worries
    No Worries

Post by No Worries Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:38 am

Bennett needs an education class and suspended fine. It's the only way to teach these people.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:09 am

El Masri Charges Dropped
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:13 am

leaguegod wrote:absolutely got no problem with what james roberts said, non issue, he was having a laugh

The Roberts thing - its a bit distasteful but nothing wrong with it. I thought it was funny, but I can see why people were in shock with it. A pro footy player with a history of alcohol problems (and prob drug problems) says a joke about drugs on live tv, dumb, but nothing wrong with it. Personally, I like footy players with a bit of character, he didnt give the typical answer and I applaud him for it. Its a shame tho, coz he wont ever say anything like that again I reckon.

The bennett thing, was just as dumb - because it could have been interpreted a few different ways. It could mean "as long as hes not gay" (which is personally what I think bennett meant), or anything about the floats or who the fuck knows what he meant. IMO its far more stupid than the young footy player saying something dumb. Bennett should know better.

I hate the PC world we live in though where everything is catered to the one angry mum.

The phone thing - the problem with it is he could be on the phone to the TAB, on his phone to his friend telling them to unload on what ever, on the phone to his mum etc etc etc. They should be checking his phone. It looks unprofessional and is potentially illegal.

The NRL needs a blanket rule where players arent allowed on their phones what so ever untill well after the games.

standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:39 am

Had no issue with what Roberts said either.  What I thought was fucked was that he had obviously rehearsed the line or used it somewhere else.  The fact that he had a shit game meant a normal, half intelligent bloke would have been a little more modest in the interview and not gone to that line.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:06 pm

SI wrote:Had no issue with what Roberts said either.  What I thought was fucked was that he had obviously rehearsed the line or used it somewhere else.  The fact that he had a shit game meant a normal, half intelligent bloke would have been a little more modest in the interview and not gone to that line.
    Just coz he had a shit game doesnt mean he isnt fast
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:14 pm

i thought people were harsh on his performance anyway, he never really got much of a chance and was up against an origin centre

brisbane wern't really bothered to go his way when they had good ball because parra's right side defense was terrible so they kept going to the left when they were putting something on
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Pieman wrote:
    SI wrote:Had no issue with what Roberts said either.  What I thought was fucked was that he had obviously rehearsed the line or used it somewhere else.  The fact that he had a shit game meant a normal, half intelligent bloke would have been a little more modest in the interview and not gone to that line.
    Just coz he had a shit game doesnt mean he isnt fast
    Didn't say that.  I said he had prepared that line earlier as he knew he would get an interview.  Most people if they had a shit game would have saved it for next time they were interviewed AFTER they actually showed they had said speed.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:33 pm