NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Share

    Ice

    Posts : 786
    Reputation : 38
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Ice on Wed May 10, 2017 10:10 pm

    Pieman wrote:

    surprised you didnt chuck tim mannah in there mate

    He is a better chance in the next couple of years than Mitchell. He wouldn't let NSW down one bit. I'd comfortable have him starting. His one start for NSW he was excellent and we won the game.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3357
    Reputation : 932
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by No Worries on Thu May 11, 2017 8:48 am

    Pieman wrote:

    The 19 year old who killed it in his first year of first grade as an 18 year old, playing one of the hardest and most important positions on the field for the most part, the guy who started off strong but is suffering a bit of second year syndrome?
    Will he be playing for NSW and or Australia in the next couple of years?
    100% yes he will be.


    Break out rookie season, look ma top of the world, then 2nd year syndrome sets in, the attitude is an issue, performance drops, nek minute he's being compared to Everingham.

    Dip

    Posts : 1238
    Reputation : 172
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Dip on Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 am

    Mitchell was more than matching it with established players as an 18 year old, and is with one of the more historically strong clubs in the comp. Second year syndrome or not, common sense suggests when he's 23 he'll be a fair chance of being one hell of a player.
    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 1411
    Reputation : 239
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 28

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by ryno_ on Thu May 11, 2017 9:48 am

    Dip wrote:Mitchell was more than matching it with established players as an 18 year old, and is with one of the more historically strong clubs in the comp. Second year syndrome or not, common sense suggests when he's 23 he'll be a fair chance of being one hell of a player.

    His preferred position of FB is taken and he was so good in centres that he got dropped to NSW Cup. Pump your brakes a little.
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5039
    Reputation : 1513
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 30
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Honeysett on Thu May 11, 2017 11:24 am

    Mitchell's potential is what people are saying. He got dropped because he's still a kid who is struggling a little. He's a game winner on his day and will bounce back - just needs to make sure he trains hard and puts in the work with his dieting.

    Dip

    Posts : 1238
    Reputation : 172
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Dip on Thu May 11, 2017 1:27 pm

    Look at the other guys who have been regular first graders rather than fringe or bench players when they're 18 or 19 (which Mitchell was last year). In the last 20 years the list wouldn't be that long, and from memory would probably be Smith, Hunt, Hayne, Inglis, Folau, Milford, Pearce and very few if any others. That's not to say that he'll be the same as them, but if he has half the career they have, particularly the first 5, then he'll have become a very good player.

    Edit: SBW, Hoppa Jnr.
    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 1411
    Reputation : 239
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 28

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by ryno_ on Thu May 11, 2017 1:47 pm

    Dip wrote:Look at the other guys who have been regular first graders rather than fringe or bench players when they're 18 or 19 (which Mitchell was last year). In the last 20 years the list wouldn't be that long, and from memory would probably be Smith, Hunt, Hayne, Inglis, Folau, Milford, Pearce and very few if any others. That's not to say that he'll be the same as them, but if he has half the career they have, particularly the first 5, then he'll have become a very good player.

    Regular first graders? Seems unfair to include someone whose played NSW cup for the last month in that list. That list also includes such luminaries as Fa'amanu Brown, Lolohea, Edrick Lee, Nick Cotric, Moses Suli and Tyronne Roberts And if he has half the career Marika Koroibete he'll be playing Union by the end of the year.

    He has potential, sure. But so do 2 dozen other footballers.

    Dip

    Posts : 1238
    Reputation : 172
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Dip on Thu May 11, 2017 2:08 pm

    ryno_ wrote:

    Regular first graders? Seems unfair to include someone whose played NSW cup for the last month in that list. That list also includes such luminaries as Fa'amanu Brown, Lolohea, Edrick Lee, Nick Cotric, Moses Suli and Tyronne Roberts And if he has half the career Marika Koroibete he'll be playing Union by the end of the year.

    He has potential, sure. But so do 2 dozen other footballers.

    Well Mitchell and played every game for the Roosters last year, so I don't know how you can get any more regular than that. All of them as a starter I'm pretty sure. Of all the guys you listed, Brown is the only one so far to hit double figures in games played by their 20th Birthday. He played 11 games for the wooden spooners. Mitchell has played 31 to date.

    McCullough and Milford are about the only two I can think of that have played about as much as Mitchell before 20 that haven't played SOO, and you'd be a brace man to bet Milford won't. All signs point towards Mitchell playing for NSW at some stage, which the original comment was about.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2125
    Reputation : 176
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Pieman on Thu May 11, 2017 7:45 pm

    Ice wrote:

    He is a better chance in the next couple of years than Mitchell. He wouldn't let NSW down one bit. I'd comfortable have him starting. His one start for NSW he was excellent and we won the game.

    lol

    welcome back mate
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2125
    Reputation : 176
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Pieman on Thu May 11, 2017 7:48 pm

    Exactly dippy and HS.
    I feel that in the next few years, mitchell will play rep footy.
    The kid is an absolute gun who is learning how to play consistent NRL footy - its not uncommon for a gun young player to have second year syndrome.

    Will be good to see how he responds after getting dropped too.

    Ice

    Posts : 786
    Reputation : 38
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Ice on Thu May 11, 2017 10:13 pm

    Pieman wrote:

    lol

    welcome back mate

    Thanks Pieman.

    I'm with RYNO on this re Mitchell. He had a solid debut year, it I'm not convinced he is as good as some think he is and doubt he will see rep footy any time soon. As an example, Tim Smith had a better rookie year and more upside for mine and look what happened to him, plus countless others have had solid first years and gone on to very little and I don't see why Mitchell is more likely than thee next bloke to be a boom rep player.
    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 1411
    Reputation : 239
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 28

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by ryno_ on Fri May 12, 2017 8:08 am

    Dip wrote:

    Well Mitchell and played every game for the Roosters last year, so I don't know how you can get any more regular than that. All of them as a starter I'm pretty sure. Of all the guys you listed, Brown is the only one so far to hit double figures in games played by their 20th Birthday. He played 11 games for the wooden spooners. Mitchell has played 31 to date.

    McCullough and Milford are about the only two I can think of that have played about  as much as Mitchell before 20 that haven't played SOO, and you'd be a brace man to bet Milford won't. All signs point towards Mitchell playing for NSW at some stage, which the original comment was about.

    Would Sandow have gone close aswell?

    Sure, the kid has potential but there are plenty of players through the history of ARL & NRL who have shown potential at the same age who went on to be busts or replacement level players.

    Will Mitchell play SOO anytime soon? He'd have to behind Tedesco, Turbo, Dugan, Fergo, Jennings, Moylan, Gordon, Mansour, Walker, Bird, Hayne and probably Morris, Morris, Hoppa and Tupou aswell.

    Not to say he's not a good player - if he was around in the days when Merrit/McManus got given a run he'd probably have played already - but its a bit early to be screen printing his name onto a Blues jersey just yet.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2125
    Reputation : 176
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Pieman on Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 am

    Mitchell has shown that at his best he is one of the most damaging and entertaining runners of the ball in the game. He showed that at 18.

    He has also shown that he needs to learn how to play consistent high level footy, prob need to fix his diet, commit to training etc etc. Once he fixes that stuff (hopefully he does), IMO, he will and should be a stalwart of the rep teams.

    Today, If I was picking an NRL team - I would happily choose him over Will Chambers, Justin Oneil, Jennings, fergo, the morris bros, hoppa and fergo - to play centre or wing.

    Sure, some of those guys are more consistent and safer players but far out he has 10x the potential of all those guys put together
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2125
    Reputation : 176
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Pieman on Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 pm

    Vaughn and Jtrbo are 100% in my team now.
    I agree with Girds, Jtrbo could almost be captain.

    Is it just me or has tedesco not been at his best for most of this season?
    avatar
    Welshy
    Moderator

    Posts : 9062
    Reputation : 1380
    Join date : 2015-09-16
    Age : 30
    Location : Wales

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Welshy on Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 pm

    Pieman wrote:Vaughn and Jtrbo are 100% in my team now.
    I agree with Girds, Jtrbo could almost be captain.

    Is it just me or has tedesco not been at his best for most of this season?
    Contract situation obviously affecting him mate, he is absolutely the best No.1 in the game when his head is on

    Can argue unless he improves he can't be thrown into the origin arena under current form and I wouldn't hate that
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2125
    Reputation : 176
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Pieman on Fri May 12, 2017 11:13 pm

    I guess he is lucky that Moylan and the panthers have been rubbish, Hayne is playing centre and duges is injured.
    TTrbo is the only realistic replacement really, but he should be sweet on the wing.


    Ice

    Posts : 786
    Reputation : 38
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Ice on Sat May 13, 2017 9:34 am

    Welshy wrote:
    Contract situation obviously affecting him mate, he is absolutely the best No.1 in the game when his head is on

    Can argue unless he improves he can't be thrown into the origin arena under current form and I wouldn't hate that

    Hayne is the best NSW FB when he is ON, but his versatility means Teddy will retain the position and fair enough.

    Farah seemingly played himself into retaining his spot especially given the lack of other 9s demanding selection.

    Vaughan did also so the reports say, but it makes it interesting if Woods is fit Tom return, which now seems likely. I'm thinking the team selected by Loz will now be pretty close to this:

    1. Tedesco
    2. Ferguson
    3. Dugan
    4. Hayne
    5. T Trbojevic
    6. Maloney
    7. Pearce (unless the Eels thrash the Roosters this week, which is likely, then Reynolds might sneak in but I doubt it)
    8. Woods (c - big mistake giving him the C)
    9. Farah
    10. Fifita
    11. Jackson
    12. Cordner
    13. Graham

    14. Bird or Moylan
    15. Klemmer
    16. Frizell
    17. Vaughan or Tamou (I only think Tamou will be there if Woods is out, even though he shouldn't be.

    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2125
    Reputation : 176
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Pieman on Sat May 13, 2017 3:49 pm

    Jackson and graham both didn't play for Australia. Surely Jtrbo gets the nod before both of them.

    Ice

    Posts : 786
    Reputation : 38
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Ice on Sat May 13, 2017 9:47 pm

    Jackson will 100% be there. Forgot about JTurbo, maybe the gets the spot ahead of Vaughan but I think they be nuts to leave Wade out. I'd personally have JTurbo in for Jackson in a flash.

    Ice

    Posts : 786
    Reputation : 38
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: NSW State of Origin side 2017

    Post by Ice on Sat May 13, 2017 9:49 pm

    Peats had a blinder and showed why he should be there ahead of Farah for mine, but will it be enough?

    Injury concerns for Hayne and TTurbo, with TT more unlikely that Hayne, who should be right.

    If TT is gone then you'd think it will be
    Teddy
    Fergo
    Dugan
    Bird
    Hayne

      Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 pm