NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

Ben Barba

Random

Ben Barba

Post by Random on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:01 pm

So the NRL aren't applying the ban until after Barba has been finished playing overseas.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-statement-regarding-ben-barba/tabid/10874/newsid/103389/default.aspx

Wonder if he can find a way out of his new contract so he can start the ban early or if he will just miss the entire season now.
    Pieman

Re: Ben Barba

Post by Pieman on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:29 am

He should have just tried to get the trials and 9s, all star game to count as part of his suspension - he misses 10 weeks or so then comes back.

Dip

Post by Dip on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:08 pm

@Pieman wrote:He should have just tried to get the trials and 9s, all star game to count as part of his suspension - he misses 10 weeks or so then comes back.

I thought the Sharks did (though I might be thinking of Mitchell Pearce).
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:34 pm

How does Semi Radradra feel?? Barba like the equal 4th highest paid rugby player in the world with no experience poor body type for union and the wrong athletic skill set. Semi will be 10 times the player on half the money.

You'd feel even worse if you are a union player who has played your whole life

Dip

Post by Dip on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:51 pm

@Shanbon wrote:How does Semi Radradra feel?? Barba like the equal 4th highest paid rugby player in the world with no experience poor body type for union and the wrong athletic skill set. Semi will be 10 times the player on half the money.

You'd feel even worse if you are a union player who has played your whole life

It seems the best way to maximise your income in Rugby Union is to either become a representative winger or fringe rep player in another position in the NRL then convert to Union. Sure you won't end up being as good a player as if you came through the rugby union system, but you'll probably be picked to play because you're about as good as a guy who came through the Union system and on a third of the salary, but the power brokers don't want their marquee signing playing off the bench or in reserves, because crowds pay decent money to see them play. At worst you'll be picked out of position because "your skill set makes you pretty adaptable to play at fullback or centre or wing". That's what has happened with Carne/Sailor/Tuqiri/Rogers/Folau/Chambers etc.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:22 pm

He will be a decent fullback or 10 in union IMO
    His kick returns will be electric against broken defensive lines.
    Personally, I would play him on the wing in Union for a good stint

In attack though he will rarely get the ball because at fullback in union they generally line up outside the centres not as a half like they do in league.

I can see barba playing out maybe a season and a half then coming back to league when they realise 1. he doesnt give a fuck about union and is partying like a madman in france and 2. he never learns how to play properly then he will come back and will have to serve his 12 match suspension lol

Good on the ARU for blocking him from playing in the 10s next weekend. Fuck barba the self entitled arrogant coke head

Last edited by Pieman on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:25 pm

@Dip wrote:

That's what has happened with Carne/Sailor/Tuqiri/Rogers/Folau/Chambers etc.

To be fair, all these guys were wingers/centres/fullbacks in league anyway...
    rogers actually came back and played 6, so apparently he learned how to pass and kick and shit by playing union

I actually wouldnt mind seeing barba have a crack at 7s, but he wont because there isnt as much money in it

Dip

Post by Dip on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Yeah you'd think 7's would really suit him since he can tackle.

Also, it it just me who sees the irony of him justifying the signing by trotting out the line "I've got my family to think about"? Just say you got an offer and decided to take it. You weren't thinking about your family when you did a line. And remember that time you moved to Brisbane to be closer to your family than Sydney? Well France is a bit further away than Sydney.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:37 pm

haha yeah totally agree - I wish players would just come out and say "I took the best offer", because 99.99% of the time, they take the best offer.
    "Its a new challenge" lol fuck off izzy and Khunt etc, you got offered more money so you went. You wouldnt have gone if the money wasnt huge.

Im not sure of the tax implications but I would think Barba getting 1mil a year or so playing union in france is a hell of a lot more than what he would get in league. him saying "The nrl hasnt given me much" is a fucking joke. He has tested positive to cocaine at least twice that we know of, he has (apparently) belted his mrs, he has become famous, he has been allowed out of multiple contracts, he has been paid more than a surgeon to run around with a footy. The NRL STILL allowed him to play after all that shit

The very least he can do is be patient, when HE was the one who has fucked up for the fuck knows how many times - and wait for a decision from the NRL.

Dip

Post by Dip on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Plus, would anyone actually criticise him (or others before him) if he did say "Financially it was a very good offer, and the idea of spending a couple of years in one of the world's most beautiful areas is great as well".

Personally I'd give credit for his honesty if he also added "Plus, with everything that's gone on the last few years, particularly recently with the suspension, the certainty this gave me for the next couple of years is good compared to what the future might hold in the NRL".
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:47 pm

100% mate, would be great if a player actually said it.

"I cant get the kind of offer in the NRL that I got from the Superleague, so I'm going to go to England. Plus, I get to travel europe in summer and on my weekends off, so thats another bonus."

FebruaryChamp

Post by FebruaryChamp on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Are the Epic Bender Crew still around?

Current date/time is Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:40 pm