NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

surmo13

Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by surmo13 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:17 pm

never been angrier about losing to a team that's been better than us all year, they gave us every opportunity to beat them and we bottled every single one.

Moga can fuck right off to Newcastle and if they think he's a centre, they might as well stick Jaelen Feeley outside him for all it matters, hard enough beating Melbourne with 13 players in attack, downright impossible with 12... Blair can join him, always been a fan of his work off the ball but as this seasor has worn on, he's turned it into a liability
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:55 am

Remember when I said Blair was one of the dirtiest players in the game and you guys yelled at me? Proved it once again last night.
    I thought the Kahu late tackle on Slater was worthy of an 8 pointer to be honest. Also, clearly hypocritical and a bit ironic that it was on slater when they changed the rule because of his knees and feet.

Also, Moga lol. As I have said in here a number of times, the guy cant draw and pass. He is a decent runner of the ball but he just cant set up a winger for the life of him. He would be an outstanding winger. That was massiveeeeeee moment in the game. I really hope he has been signed to play wing.

Boyd shouldnt have played, was deadset a liability out there and the Storm knew it, they were making him chase those early long kicks - and he couldnt.

Missing your hooker and fullback will fuck just about any team, (I mean look what it did to newcastle this year Smile) but was expecting more of a fight. Melbourne are just amazing to watch, they duffed a few tries they would normally score as well.

As far as their halves go next season.. jeez. Unless they are signing Taylor they are in a bit of strife especially if there is an injury. I guess Jack Bird plays 6 if one of the halves goes down but still hes not exactly a game manager.

Last edited by Pieman on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 am; edited 3 times in total
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:56 am

surmo13 wrote:Blair , always been a fan of his work off the ball

This is the kind of person you are dealing with here, someone who enjoys adam blair's late hits on halves and kickers.
    Shame. Shame. Shame.

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:22 am

Too good Melbourne.

Some are reading too much into the final score but I think we did really well to match it with the Storm for most of the game.

Was fairly obvious we needed to hit the ground running in this one but missed a couple of opportunities and the rest is history.

I've got no issues with any of the late work on Cronk, other than the one Blair got him in the back - John's carries on a bit too much about these but I do think that one should have been a penalty.
    No issues with the Kahu's effort on Slater either - I've defended Slater for showing that sort of desperation in the past.

Was poor both ways so not going to use it as an excuse but I really think the refereeing was pretty ordinary last night. Just hoping these blokes don't get the GF.
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 am

Had the wife's 40th and our 20th anniversary last night. missed the first half. Got to a TV to watch the last 30. Won't be watching the replay.

That was limp.

Don't know where we lost the momentum during the season, but I was disappointed by that. Always said Melbourne would win (and backed them with a pineapple pre-season), but... bloody hell.

Roosters game was a clutch point for me. Win that, and we don't meet Melbourne to the GF.

Kahu should get shreds torn off him for that dive at the legs. Dog act, and that's his one chance with me. Everyone has a brain snap, but that was "go get fucked" material.

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:15 am

dasherhalo wrote:Had the wife's 40th and our 20th anniversary last night. missed the first half. Got to a TV to watch the last 30. Won't be watching the replay.

That was limp.

Don't know where we lost the momentum during the season, but I was disappointed by that. Always said Melbourne would win (and backed them with a pineapple pre-season), but... bloody hell.

Roosters game was a clutch point for me. Win that, and we don't meet Melbourne to the GF.

Kahu should get shreds torn off him for that dive at the legs. Dog act, and that's his one chance with me. Everyone has a brain snap, but that was "go get fucked" material.

You were just in time to watch the shittiest part of the match and while it was a poor finish, we matched Melbourne for 99% of the 1st half and the try on the buzzer was telling.

2-0 or even the couple we should have scored and it is a different 2nd half - anyway no point thinking like that because credit to Melbourne for that goal line defence.
    It was 1st class and what will ultimately, win them the premiership this season.

Losing FAC was clearly the turning point and quite frankly he is as important to our team these days as Smith is to Melbourne.

If I am being honest I was flicking to the AFL by that stage of the match but I really didn't think Kahu was trying to injure Slater.
    Obviously he is a Kiwi........ so not out of the question but do you genuinely think he was trying to injure Slater?

Ice

Post by Ice on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:20 pm

I can't say Kahu was trying to injure him as none of us are mind readers. But there is no way he was thinking he could prevent the try by deliberately dropping a elbow/shoulder to a guys legs. It was a dog shot effort and I'd call out anyone for it, like I called out Edwards for his.

It is ironic it is one one of the worst offenders of that type of thing in the history of the game, but that doesn't justify it.

Ice

Post by Ice on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Oh, and please don't anyone ever compare FAC to Smith. FAC will never be as important to a team as Smith is. FAC is a run of the mill replaceable hooker, a top 10 current hookers in the game in a team with plenty of rep players, the only difference he makes last night is maybe the game is a tad closer, maybe. Smith is a once in a lifetime player and possibly the best of all time in any position. If he doesn't play last night, I'd argue the result is different.
    Mighty Fishes

Post by Mighty Fishes on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:06 pm

I honestly don't believe Kahu wanted to purposely injure slater. He's not normally a roughian I think frustration got the better of him and wasn't thinking clearly and probably would have done it to whoever scored that try whether it was Glasby, Slater or Scott
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Looked like a team who had lost direction, faith and hope and were playing splintered. See Big Call Threads
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:34 pm

I dont think he was trying to injure Slater, he was just doing anything he could to stop the try, after it has been scored. Was easy worth an possible 8 pointer, duno why they didnt rule that to be honest.

Dip

Post by Dip on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 pm

It wasn't malicious as much as frustration. It should have been an 8 point try.
    Mighty Fishes

Post by Mighty Fishes on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Oh the argument was about an 8 point try?

Yeah definitely should have been. Maybe the ref took mercy on us
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:28 am

No, I didn't think he did it to injure him on purpose. It was obviously frustration, and I've never seen him do anything else like it before. Still worth calling out (as Smith did loudly!).

Still, worth a trip over to the sheds to apologize in person for the brain snap, methinks.
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:28 am

Ice wrote:Oh, and please don't anyone ever compare FAC to Smith. FAC will never be as important to a team as Smith is. FAC is a run of the mill replaceable hooker, a top 10 current hookers in the game in a team with plenty of rep players, the only difference he makes last night is maybe the game is a tad closer, maybe. Smith is a once in a lifetime player and possibly the best of all time in any position. If he doesn't play last night, I'd argue the result is different.

FAC is much more important to the Broncos then Smith is the Storm, purely because the supporting cast at Melbourne are more capable without him then the cast in Brisbane are without FAC.

Thats not to say that he's better, by any stretch. But Cronk/Slater/Munster don't need any help dismantling teams on their own.

Its the cheerleader effect - you get a bunch of 5s/6s/7s and if they lose a 7, it hurts them more then a group of 9s losing a 10.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:47 am

Not when the 10 is the best 10 ever, who is also the on field coach and every part of the attack is organised by him and every part of the defence is organised by him. Not to mention the ref creaming and shitting their pants at the same time when they talk to him.

Cam smith has more influence over a game than anyone in the history of the sport, losing him would be absolutely devastating for the Storm.

The proof is in the pudding - 40 nil.

Saying that NFAC is more important to the broncos than Smith is to the storm is just ... well.. a brilliant troll. Well done, ill upvote that.
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:04 am

Pieman wrote:Not when the 10 is the best 10 ever, who is also the on field coach and every part of the attack is organised by him and every part of the defence is organised by him. Not to mention the ref creaming and shitting their pants at the same time when they talk to him.

Cam smith has more influence over a game than anyone in the history of the sport, losing him would be absolutely devastating for the Storm.

The proof is in the pudding - 40 nil.

Saying that NFAC is more important to the broncos than Smith is to the storm is just ... well.. a  brilliant troll. Well done, ill upvote that.

Its absolutely true. Being the best player in the game does not make you the most valuable or most important player.

Sure, your first paragraph is correct. The team is obviously at their best with him and he is the best player in the game, probably of his generation. Goes without saying. But without him, the storm still have Cronk, Munster and Slater, plus the rest of their roster. They would still be runaway favourites.

Tedesco is probably the most important and most valuable player to a team in the league (at the tigers anyway) but nobody would suggest he's the best fullback in the game, let alone the best player.
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:46 am

Madge McGuire to coach the Broncos 2018
    Moose

Post by Moose on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:24 am

No Worries wrote:Madge McGuire to coach the Broncos 2018
    Haven't been keeping up to date on the news so not sure if its just a throwaway line or legit rumour.

Regardless he delivered Souths a Premiership after a massive drought, maybe he could do the same for the Broncos who have also been through a drought of sorts.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:34 am

ryno_ wrote:

Its absolutely true. Being the best player in the game does not make you the most valuable or most important player.

Sure, your first paragraph is correct. The team is obviously at their best with him and he is the best player in the game, probably of his generation. Goes without saying. But without him, the storm still have Cronk, Munster and Slater, plus the rest of their roster. They would still be runaway favourites.  

Tedesco is probably the most important and most valuable player to a team in the league (at the tigers anyway) but nobody would suggest he's the best fullback in the game, let alone the best player.

40 Nil

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:13 pm