NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Honeysett
    Honeysett

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom - Page 7 Empty Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by Honeysett Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Bren wrote:

Sauce Sauce Sauce

I'll have a look when I get home, read it on my laptop at home. Just had a quick search then but couldn't find it. It's not confirmed and an extremely unlikely scenario.

However you would have to think TMM and Cleary are the halves for years to come.

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom - Page 7 Empty Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by Guest Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Honeysett wrote:

I'll have a look when I get home, read it on my laptop at home. Just had a quick search then but couldn't find it. It's not confirmed and an extremely unlikely scenario.

However you would have to think TMM and Cleary are the halves for years to come.

If the Broncos were to lose Ben Hunt I personally would be pleased with signing Cleary. Would be a great long term acquisition for any club, the kid is class.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:07 pm

There is no fucking chance of cleary leaving penrith.
    That kid is going to be the next cooper cronk.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:07 pm

The more likely case is Hunt to Parra
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Bren wrote:

If the Broncos were to lose Ben Hunt I personally would be pleased with signing Cleary. Would be a great long term acquisition for any club, the kid is class.

I really like Cleary, gun prospect and reminds me a lot of Mitchell Pearce, thus obviously a good player.

But at present BHunt is coming off an average season for a player of his ilk and Cleary has an extreme amount of hype around him (largely from desperate NSWelshman that feel the need to anoint another great white hope)....so I tend to think we would be losing out on that transaction.

Then again we are the masters of off field negotiation, so who knows.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I really like Cleary, gun prospect and reminds me a lot of Mitchell Pearce, thus obviously a good player.

But at present BHunt is coming off an average season for a player of his ilk and Cleary has an extreme amount of hype around him (largely from desperate NSWelshman that feel the need to anoint another great white hope)....so I tend to think we would be losing out on that transaction.

Then again we are the masters of off field negotiation, so who knows.

I think anyone with a football brain (you included) knows Cleary is a different player than those hyped up before him. He's not flashy, he's not flick passing, it's his football brain and temperament that's his best assets.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Honeysett wrote:

I think anyone with a football brain (you included) knows Cleary is a different player than those hyped up before him. He's not flashy, he's not flick passing, it's his football brain and temperament that's his best assets.

Like Luke Brookes
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Honeysett wrote:

Yeah as I said, he reminds me a lot of Mitchell Pearce in that regard.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Mighty Fishes wrote:

Like Luke Brookes

His best qualities are his combos with Teddy and his off the cuff style of play. Kid couldn't tackle a 6 year old.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Yeah as I said, he reminds me a lot of Mitchell Pearce in that regard.

I reckon he will be a better player long term than Pearce, who I think is a very good halfback. Very early days considering he's had one year of football and anything could happen but I think he will be.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Mitch Pearce is a very very good club level football player. When the entire team is built around him, and when the game plan revolves around bombing it from 40 out, he is fucking excellent.
    His passing game is great. His short kicking game for the majority of his career has been disgusting though, fucking disgusting. And he has been shit at origin for, well, ever.

Cleary has that calmness about him which is pretty rare, almost like what Lockyer had. Just seems to be calm and composed and seems to have a lot of time with the footy.
    Dip

Post by Dip Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:41 am

Pieman wrote:There is no fucking chance of cleary leaving penrith.
    That kid is going to be the next cooper cronk.

You'd wonder if Ivan gets a coaching gig somewhere whether Nathan would want to follow him. Maybe he doesn't, or maybe he has a clause in his contract that he can break it to play with his father, maybe his position is somewhere in between, who knows.

Even if Ivan doesn't get a coaching gig, if Nathan is inclined to leave to follow his dad, that it wouldn't be beyond comprehension that if Penrith think there is another good option going around, either from inside the club or if a player from another club becomes available, they might let him go rather than risk developing him further for a year or two only to leave at a time when there are no suitable replacements.

He looks pretty good to me, and given the lack of halves in the comp at the moment, personally I'd be inclined to keep him and back your ability to provide an environment where he wants to stay regardless of where his dad is.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:21 am

James Roberts still assaulting women. Class act those Broncos.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:27 am

Dip wrote:

You'd wonder if Ivan gets a coaching gig somewhere whether Nathan would want to follow him. Maybe he doesn't, or maybe he has a clause in his contract that he can break it to play with his father, maybe his position is somewhere in between, who knows.

Even if Ivan doesn't get a coaching gig, if Nathan is inclined to leave to follow his dad, that it wouldn't be beyond comprehension that if Penrith think there is another good option going around, either from inside the club or if a player from another club becomes available, they might let him go rather than risk developing him further for a year or two only to leave at a time when there are no suitable replacements.

He looks pretty good to me, and given the lack of halves in the comp at the moment, personally I'd be inclined to keep him and back your ability to provide an environment where he wants to stay regardless of where his dad is.

He's just had the clause in his contract removed that let him leave if his dad found a full time coaching position. So it looks like the Panthers have already done what you suggested
    Pain
    Pain

NFL Dynasty Champion : 2019
    NFL Fantasy L2 Champion : 2019

Post by Pain Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:49 am

No Worries wrote:James Roberts still assaulting women. Class act those Broncos.

If it's legit he needs to go. Unacceptable assaulting a woman (or anyone really).
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Yep if legit then he's more trouble than it's worth and a ticking time bomb.

Having said that, unfortunately, I'm always a bit wary of victims who don't want to make a complaint to police, but are happy to make a complaint to the media. You would think that in all likelihood there is some element to truth in it though, otherwise the club or player would come out quickly and say something like "we're investigating it, but James denies any wrong doing".
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Also (and I'm not saying that depth should dictate your moral compass), it would be easier for the Broncos to stomach sacking him when they have Mead, Oates, Pearson, Moga, Opacic and Kahu to choose from in the three quarter line, while also having some free cash in case a mid season option comes up.

I could quite happily accept a full strength backline of Boyd, Oates, Opacic/Moga, Kahu, Mead, Milford and Hunt. Obviously it's stronger with Roberts there, but you have enough points with the 1, 6 & 7 without needing a game breaker in the centres as well.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Dip wrote:Yep if legit then he's more trouble than it's worth and a ticking time bomb.

Having said that, unfortunately, I'm always a bit wary of victims who don't want to make a complaint to police, but are happy to make a complaint to the media. You would think that in all likelihood there is some element to truth in it though, otherwise the club or player would come out quickly and say something like "we're investigating it, but James denies any wrong doing".

Ditto. Seems to happen a bit in Brisvegas
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Here's the statement just release from the Broncos. Doesn't say much.

Late yesterday I was made aware of an allegation involving a player via a media organisation.

At that time, the club had not received any information or complaint from any external person, licensed premises or investigative authority directly involved in this matter.

The club still has not.

However I immediately notified the NRL Integrity Unit and they have subsequently commenced their inquiries.

The club supports these enquiries being conducted independently and expediently, will offer any assistance and support required, and will only make further comment once the process has been completed.

Paul White

Chief Executive, Brisbane Broncos
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Normally and for most other players/blokes I'd say this is potentially a deadset non-event.

But the bloke obviously felt he had an issue with his drinking (or other performance enhancers), enough so to check in to rehab; and I would have therefore thought being out on the piss after the Millions is not a planned part of his recovery program.

As Dip said, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we had to let him go but personally I always think that is such a cop out for clubs and doesn't help the player involved one iota.

I would prefer he is removed from the top 25 roster (for salary cap purposes) but kept on the books for the club to try ad help him sort his shit out.
    I would actually like the NRL to enforce some sort of rule around that, so that clubs can't just sack a bloke and conveniently move on.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:13 pm