NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Pieman

Re: 2017 Brisbane Broncos Thread - we hate them for their freedom

Post by Pieman on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:13 pm

What an absolutely brilliant troll post Dippy. Well done.
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:05 am

@Ice wrote:I know Brisbane have a stack of disadvantages, as testament to those regularly pointed out as rebuttal when others (not me) suggest that one particular thing or another is an advantage. But can any Broncos fans think of anything they might have that might actually be an advantage?

Obviously 1-team-town, being backed by a big leagues club and being in a world class stadium are advantages but they aren't exclusive or unique to Brisbane... Having Alf, Locky and Wally involved in/around the club would help players catch the eye of influential people for rep football? But that's not really exclusive either, and irrelevant for cockroaches.

Is proximity to the Down Under Bar an "advantage"? We certainly have that.
    Moose

Post by Moose on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:32 pm

While he will most likely end up at Manly the Brisbane Broncos should do everything within their power to get Mitchell Pearce at the club for 2018. If it means releasing a few players to get him on board then so be it. If Bennett and the Broncos are serious about a Premiership within the next few years they must sign him at all costs. If the Broncos could sign Pearce it would be their biggest signing in the last 10 years.

Come to the real heartland of Rugby League Mitch. I for one will welcome you with open arms. A Premiership with the Broncos awaits.

Ice

Post by Ice on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 am

Yep, Pearce would make them contenders for sure. Broncos will not win a Premiership with Nikorima as their first choice half. Maybe they can pull the pin on Bird?

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 am

@Moose wrote:While he will most likely end up at Manly the Brisbane Broncos should do everything within their power to get Mitchell Pearce at the club for 2018. If it means releasing a few players to get him on board then so be it. If Bennett and the Broncos are serious about a Premiership within the next few years they must sign him at all costs. If the Broncos could sign Pearce it would be their biggest signing in the last 10 years.

Come to the real heartland of Rugby League Mitch. I for one will welcome you with open arms. A Premiership with the Broncos awaits.

Would really be the missing link in our team but I would also love to see what Pearcey could achieve under Bennett, particularly as he will be hitting his prime now as a playmaker.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 am

Absolutely they should go after him. They would be fucking stupid not to.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:20 am

Bennett's reason for not going after him is that he thinks Pearce wouldn't fit the culture.. odd IMO
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:35 am

@Pieman wrote:Bennett's reason for not going after him is that he thinks Pearce wouldn't fit the culture.. odd IMO

Whats odd about it? Bennett sets high standard for the culture of his leadership group. Outside the leadership, not so much... but Pearce would need to be in that group or not at all.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:13 pm

@ryno_ wrote:

Whats odd about it? Bennett sets high standard for the culture of his leadership group. Outside the leadership, not so much... but Pearce would need to be in that group or not at all.

Well its odd considering some of the characters in the side currently. Some people who you would assume are in that "leadership group" are guys who have had some pretty nasty incidents or accusations in the past.

Also its basically saying:

Pearce has not changed since the "dog incident" 2 years ago and us unable to change. (Its pretty obvious that he has IMO).
    He assumes pearce would be in the "leadership group", and right away I might add.
    Its saying that a player doing some shit (like, I dont know, abusing bar staff etc) doesnt effect the team if someone isnt in the "leadership group" which is wrong imo

On the field in club land, Pearce has an impressive resume and he is one of the best halfbacks in the league, coming into his prime. Just odd to think that Bennett wouldnt trust himself enough to bring a class club level player like Pearce to the club and think that he couldnt influence Pearce how he wanted to off the field.

leaguegod

Post by leaguegod on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:25 pm

i think bennett is really saying "how can i be a massive troll"

he even acknowledged that roberts might make him to look like a hypocrite knowing full well people would be pointing more towards the guy they signed a week ago.

i actually think its a pretty funny dig at pearce

surmo13

Post by surmo13 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:00 pm

or it could be that when talking about Pearce, he's not referring to culture in the 'criminal history' sense, but in the 'my team just signed a player that could take my team and my game to the next level, but i won't be the be-all and end-all of the playmaking duties, so i'm gunna put my ego ahead of the team and bail' sense
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:56 pm

@surmo13 wrote:or it could be that when talking about Pearce, he's not referring to culture in the 'criminal history' sense, but in the 'my team just signed a player that could take my team and my game to the next level, but i won't be the be-all and end-all of the playmaking duties, so i'm gunna put my ego ahead of the team and bail' sense

He specifically referenced Roberts though - so that would suggest he was talking about off field dramas
    surmo13

Post by surmo13 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:21 pm

@Pieman wrote:

He specifically referenced Roberts though - so that would suggest he was talking about off field dramas

could've been pre-empting what the go-to counter would've been for him using the word 'culture', also possible the interviewer did raise Roberts name in a follow-up, seeing as the quotes are seperated.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:45 am

@surmo13 wrote:

could've been pre-empting what the go-to counter would've been for him using the word 'culture', also possible the interviewer did raise Roberts name in a follow-up, seeing as the quotes are seperated.
    lol could be a million things, but he mentioned robert's though so he was talking about off field alcohol related incidents.

Fairly straight forward.

Dip

Post by Dip on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:57 am

Bennett rarely says things without a reason. I suspect he thinks Pearce plays worse the harder he tries, so has said this in case the Broncos play him in Finals footy, so he thinks “I’ll show that old fart” and proceeds to play his state of origin standard. It also may be about the England team. When the media is talking about what he said, they’re not scrutinising his players.

The bit about Roberts is because he knows the media will make a link about behaviour and Roberts, so this is taking the attention away from Roberts.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:29 pm

I would have thought he was taking the attention away from Lodge by bringing up Roberts - considering Lodge is way more controversial and much more recently signed.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Did Bennett have a duty of care to Hodgson and the Raider's to take him off as soon as there was a suspected serious knee injury?
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:29 pm

@Pieman wrote:Did Bennett have a duty of care to Hodgson and the Raider's to take him off as soon as there was a suspected serious knee injury?

Only after 8 mins and then shift the focus and blame to the NRL.
    \
    Wonder if Milford read the bit about letting players play these games.
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:49 am

Moose

Post by Moose on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Dargan signs with the Broncos. Remains to be seen whether he is first grade quality however glad we have him there as backup in case Niko goes down.

Current date/time is Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 am