NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

2017 Signings

Pieman

Re: 2017 Signings

Post by Pieman on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:46 pm

@Oz Sport Mad wrote:

OSM thinks this has more to do with Pieman's idiocy

It's a pretty relevant question though.
    With their punishment, cap issues, ongoing investigations and so on how can the club keep signing players without losing anyone of significance?

Its not having a go, just a genuine question
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:55 pm

@Pieman wrote:
    With their punishment, cap issues, ongoing investigations and so on how can the club keep signing players without losing anyone of significance?

The money they saved by Foran moving on would be the kicker I would suggest.

They were salary cap compliant mid season.

Although I think they're hoping Watmough's salary wouldn't be included which I thought they ruled it would be.
    Krump

Post by Krump on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Does anyone have the figures of how far over they were? Since being done just with Foran, Peats and Watmough going they'd be $2million better off.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:12 pm

They are also being punished for the next few years with a lower cap arent they?

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:14 pm

@Pieman wrote:

I was just taking the piss...but in answer to your question, haven't they done just that and let a few players of significance go (Paulo, Peats spring to mind)?

The problem is that neither you or I know their cap situation and it's not as simple as fantasy football trading.

I actually hate when blokes try and guess what each clubs cap situation is, like if they are $1 over the cap, there's some sort of tangible advantage they get.

All the salary cap should do (IMO) is encourage some (not all - because we do want some loyalty) players to explore their options at other clubs.
    I just don't care about it too much as I don't think the roster automatically make's or break's a club and I'm of the opinion that there are other factors that increase the likelihood of a clubs success.
    Krump

Post by Krump on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:17 pm

@Pieman wrote:They are also being punished for the next few years with a lower cap arent they?
    No way that could happen. Link?
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:19 pm

If you dont like speculation, get off the forums mate.

My impression was, they had to shed those guys to get under the cap. Peats, Paulo and co. That gets them under the cap.
    They then sign all these blokes e.g. Brown, Hoffman, Smith and who ever else I am forgetting - upgrading French and co - without releasing anyone of note (they got rid of luke kelly, mitch cornish etc).

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:30 pm

@Pieman wrote:If you dont like speculation, get off the forums mate.

My impression was, they had to shed those guys to get under the cap. Peats, Paulo and co. That gets them under the cap.
    They then sign all these blokes e.g. Brown, Hoffman, Smith and who ever else I am forgetting - upgrading French and co - without releasing anyone of note (they got rid of luke kelly, mitch cornish etc).

Haha I would but who would be left to impart Rugby League knowledge onto simpletons like yourself??
    The forum needs me, more than I need the forum Pieman....

I forgot about Foran too actually.

Come to think about it, I suspect Parra has a big fucking war chest of funds but just haven't able to attract anyone of note because of what a shambles the joint is off the field.
    Krump

Post by Krump on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:37 pm

@Oz Sport Mad wrote:

Come to think about it, I suspect Parra has a big fucking war chest of funds but just haven't able to attract anyone of note because of what a shambles the joint is off the field.
    I'm thinking along the same lines. It's awfully hard to tell without having an idea how far over the cap they were though.
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:18 pm

@Pieman wrote:They are also being punished for the next few years with a lower cap arent they?

I vaguely remember something like this being mentioned, but think it was more media speculation.

My question is how can you pay out Foran (past 2016) not have it count in the cap and he then play for someone else during that period ?
    I know intellectual property is built into my contract and I cant be working for a competitor for a certain amount of time (covered by my payout)

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:16 pm

@No Worries wrote:

I vaguely remember something like this being mentioned, but think it was more media speculation.

My question is how can you pay out Foran (past 2016) not have it count in the cap and he then play for someone else during that period ?
    I know intellectual property is built into my contract and I cant be working for a competitor for a certain amount of time (covered by my payout)

I can understand it not being counted in the cap.
    The Foran situation isn't like the other blokes who have been released to ease the cap issues they have.

As for playing against Parra, my understanding is that is normally only an issue if the club are still paying a portion of his contract at the same time - different scenario if they have mutually agreed to part ways (which I believe they have??).
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:22 pm

They let foran go, paid him out, and it wasnt included in the cap.... how does that work??????

Dip

Post by Dip on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:38 pm

@Honeysett wrote:

The money they saved by Foran moving on would be the kicker I would suggest.

They were salary cap compliant mid season.

Although I think they're hoping Watmough's salary wouldn't be included which I thought they ruled it would be.

This is 100% right (as far as the NRL is concerned anyway). Remember Pieman they announced it immediately before their bye round, and the NRL said they would only be eligible for points if they got under the cap. Peats hit the road before they next played (and maybe Paulo but I can't remember for sure), so anyone after that would be creating space. Foran is the obvious one, and even if they are paying some of his wage in 2017, you'd think the Warriors would be making a pretty sizeable contribution. Michael Gordon is leaving. I thought they got salary cap relief on Watmough's salary even though insurance wasn't going to pay for it.

I wouldn't think the guys they signed would cost more than the guys they lost. Who knows what happens with Radradra next year as well. Might be more signings/rumours for all we know.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:39 pm

Ok fair enough
    Archer

Post by Archer on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 pm

@Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I was just taking the piss...but in answer to your question, haven't they done just that and let a few players of significance go (Paulo, Peats spring to mind)?

The problem is that neither you or I know their cap situation and it's not as simple as fantasy football trading.

I actually hate when blokes try and guess what each clubs cap situation is, like if they are $1 over the cap, there's some sort of tangible advantage they get.

All the salary cap should do (IMO) is encourage some (not all - because we do want some loyalty) players to explore their options at other clubs.
    I just don't care about it too much as I don't think the roster automatically make's or break's a club and I'm of the opinion that there are other factors that increase the likelihood of a clubs success.
    I have no words for how much enjoyment i got out of reading this, classic stuff. I think if you took this post and placed it on reddit or LU or something and asked people to guess who OSM supports without any other info, 80-90% would guess it within 2 goes. Wink

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:49 pm

@Archer wrote:
    I have no words for how much enjoyment i got out of reading this, classic stuff. I think if you took this post and placed it on reddit or LU or something and asked people to guess who OSM supports without any other info, 80-90% would guess it within 2 goes. Wink

Haha well they must well and truly be daft khunts if they need 2 shots at it!

Contrary to how it seems it isn't really the Broncos that have forged this opinion and it's actually clubs like yours Archer that time and again prove my point with their success.

Mind you in saying that, even the Broncos had a really shit roster on paper leading into 2015 before they started winning a few games.

IMO the coach has a far bigger impact on how level the playing field is and that is something that's hardly considered compared to how much Joe Bloggs the 1st grader is being paid.
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:29 am

@Archer wrote:

haha
    SI

Post by SI on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:46 pm

Idris officially a Tiger.
    Mighty Fishes

Post by Mighty Fishes on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:38 pm

Looks like Proctor has signed with the Titans
    Pieman

Post by Pieman on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:00 pm

Proctor is a good signing, time will tell if he only looked good running off Cronk and co, but considering he is on less money than Greg Bird was and prob a better player - its a great signing. 4 years is huge tho.

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm