NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Australian Squad

Honeysett
    Honeysett

Australian Squad - Page 4 Empty Re: Australian Squad

Post by Honeysett Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:05 pm

I can appreciate this is a sore point for a lot of guys, I will try and tip toe around it and my intention is never to hurt the feelings of any of you or rile you up for no reason.

Fifita has not posted any form of support through media channels for supporting this guy, I just spent half an hour searching for it and couldn't find anything. The only thing that I could find was he had FKL on his wrist strapping, that if not mentioned no one would give a fuck about.

This is what Fifita has said in the media.
    "I fully understand and accept the seriousness of the crime committed by Loveridge, the devastating impact it has had on the Kelly family and the need for Loveridge to serve his time," Fifita said. "I want to extend my sincere apologies to the Kelly family for any distress caused to them by having this tragic matter back in the media."

and

"I was helping out a mate," Fifita said.

"That's all that matters. He wasn't doing too good at the time. I gave him the boost that he really needs. I know he is doing well."

What we need to do is separate what Fifita has done wrong from what the guy has done wrong. Fifita drew FKL on his wristbands in support of a criminal. This is coming from the same country that boasts about Ned Kelly like he's a figure to be revered, a police killer and a criminal.

But we're crucifying Fifita for supporting a fuckwit? Such is life.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Take your point to a degree mate.  But to me Fifita was just back tracking and ass covering.  If he never wanted it in the media then why do what he did?  If he wanted to show his mate support then go and see him in jail.

I will say I for one have NEVER understood how Ned Kelly has become glorified like he has.  Call me Un-Austarlian but I actually raise this in every conversation when Ned Kelly comes up and I ask the same thing-why glorify a criminal?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Standard has an Issue wrote:Take your point to a degree mate.  But to me Fifita was just back tracking and ass covering.  If he never wanted it in the media then why do what he did?  If he wanted to show his mate support then go and see him in jail.

I will say I for one have NEVER understood how Ned Kelly has become glorified like he has.  Call me Un-Austarlian but I actually raise this in every conversation when Ned Kelly comes up and I ask the same thing-why glorify a criminal?

Perhaps he couldn't get to see him in jail because he was heeding these police warnings and put it on his wrists as a private symbol to his mate in jail.

Fifita hasn't for mine done enough wrong to be stood down from a Roos jersey.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:54 pm

No need to tip toe around me mate. It's only my opinion, and I'm not one of those idiots that thinks that because they have some experience in the topic, that everyone should be listening to me. It's a forum, we are all expressing our opinions :-)

The only thing I find wrong about your post is that it wasn't a "private" symbol. He didn't write it in his best friend forever diary, he put it on his strapping for viewing on national TV.

I also freely admit to not liking him as a footballer, as he's a Blue, and come across as a right tosser. Makes him oh so easy to hate on. Would probably be different if it was someone with a clean image from QLD like Petero or Matt Scott. (just getting all my bias out in the open.)
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Well it was a small wink to him, no one knew what it meant until the media made a big deal out of it. Fifita said his mate was really struggling. Who's to say he wasn't thinking about committing suicide and knowing he had mates on the outside that would publicly support him stopped him from doing so. The guy is a germ, punching someone only ever has the intent to harm, he's serving his time like he should because he's taken the life of someone that didn't deserve it.

Don't get me wrong I think Fifita is a dickhead as well but I think everyone has over reacted
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Well first and foremost, sorry to hear some of you blokes have lost mates or been affected by shit like this.

As an aside, I've really gotta give kudos to the people pushing the 'one punch can kill' campaign/s.
    Personally, as a young bloke I was more interested in having a good night than punching on...but can honestly say that when things did ever go pear-shaped as a result of some other dickhead, I never thought twice about whether you could actually kill someone or whether you could have actually been killed.
    I know there's still a really long way to go but these days (and as a parent with kids growing up in a town like the Goldy, with a bit of nightlife) I am actually quite heartened at how much publicity there is around this hot topic.

But in saying all that, this discussion should be about a footy player, who is generally as dumb as dogshit but that hasn't actually committed the crime at the heart of everyone's angst.

Purely from an NRL perspective, this has been a right royal PR fuckup.
    I would argue that this whole debacle has created far more turmoil for the poor family involved in the initial crime.

Greenberg is trying to improve the culture of NRL players and I generally applaud that but IMO he is going about it in an utterly woeful and seemingly egotistical manner.

If the NRL thought about it, rather than instantly reacting, then the true culprit here is the prick that publicized what the private message actually meant in the first place.
    Nobody would have thought twice about it otherwise (and who knows how many other distasteful private messages have gone by unnoticed) and I again raise my point (which I have been laughed at previously) about regulating the media through granting exclusive access to journos that actually report fairly and without being predominately responsible (even more so than the actual players) for bringing the game into disrepute.
    The next worse culprit is then themselves for not privately nipping it in the bud, rather than letting it grow into a monster that would be dragging in the poor grieving family.

I would also argue that it opens a legal can of worms and to me it borders on workplace ostracism.
    If the RLPA had any testicular fortitude they would be tearing the NRL a new one right now.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Hes a fucken goose. Hes threaten to quit so many times I wish he would just leave..
    I couldn't sign with the Bulldogs i'll quit
    I threatened a junior ref and got told off.. I'll quit..
    Someone more deserving got player of the match I've been victimised,
    I didn't get a test jumper i'll quit..

Its like someone has told a 7 year old they can't have lollies for dinner..
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:40 am

I also don't see any quote where he says he might quit the game.

... unfortunately.
    Lebbo73

Post by Lebbo73 Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:43 am

Mighty Fishes wrote:Hes a fucken goose. Hes threaten to quit so many times I wish he would just leave..
    I couldn't sign with the Bulldogs i'll quit
    I threatened a junior ref and got told off.. I'll quit..
    Someone more deserving got player of the match I've been victimised,
    I didn't get a test jumper i'll quit..

Its like someone has told a 7 year old they can't have lollies for dinner..
    Did he comment after he wasn't picked for Australia?

Btw, Fifita was the best player in the grand final by quite a margin. It wasn't even close!
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:52 am

Frizell should be starting in a backrow with Gillett and Merrin
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:21 am

dasherhalo wrote:

If *that guy* is a mate of yours - you go visit him in jail. You support his family. You DON'T fucking come out in the public eye and stir up old wounds. How much of an absolute c*nt do you have to be to to think that the decade in jail equates to the loss of two sons on the other side of the ledger? He KILLED a guy, and you're taking free media opportunities about the harshness of the sentence? Have some decency. What he's saying is "I know he killed a guy, but it's just so UNFAIR he got jailed for so long".

It's a shit situation. No one wins, people only get hurt. But I don't want the fuckhead representing my country at the moment. If he feels that strongly about it, have a chat to a journo and see if he'll write a story. The way he did it speaks volumes about his character, as far as I'm concerned. At the very minimum he's got no respect for the family that's lost two sons.

Fuck his jersey. He'll get it next year, if he doesn't bash another ref.

He did it as a gesture to his friend. He didnt to it in order to get it put in the media.
    We dont even know what it meant. Free or For, too totally different arguments.

No one on here is saying what he did was OK, what we are saying is the punishment does not fit the crime.
    Warning, apology - done.

Not losing what? 100k? in match payments and like 6 test jerseys
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:22 am

Oz Sport Mad wrote:

I would also argue that it opens a legal can of worms and to me it borders on workplace ostracism.
    If the RLPA had any testicular fortitude they would be tearing the NRL a new one right now.

Yeah I said this earlier, I reckon he has a case to sue the NRL
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:49 am

Lebbo73 wrote:
    Did he comment after he wasn't picked for Australia?

Btw, Fifita was the best player in the grand final by quite a margin. It wasn't even close!

Oh no doubt about it, Lewis was solid but he didn't win the GF for the Sharks. Fifita did. The NRL were worried that he would say something like "This is for my little buddy in jail!"

filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:57 am

Welshy wrote:Frizell should be starting in a backrow with Gillett and Merrin

Nah mate, he's Welsh.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:58 am

Chances of Fifita going off to rep Tonga now?
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:34 am

filthridden wrote:Chances of Fifita going off to rep Tonga now?

Nah mate, he's Australian.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:37 am

Yeah I said that yesterday, cant he play for tonga and still play origin next year with these new rules?
    Would be a big fuck you to the NRL if he did it. I hope he does.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:50 am

Honeysett wrote:
    filthridden wrote:Chances of Fifita going off to rep Tonga now?

Nah mate, he's Australian.
    Lol
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:01 pm

filthridden wrote:

Nah mate, he's Welsh.
    You are right!! I'm petitioning to have him removed from the Aussie squad!!

In all seriousness and bias out the way, he deserves to start wide backrow for Australia, he has been immense for a while now
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:20 am

definitly, the back row should be Gillett Merrin and Friz

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:27 am