NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    Australian Squad

    Share
    avatar
    filthridden

    Posts : 3804
    Reputation : 882
    Join date : 2015-09-27

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by filthridden on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:18 pm

    Standard has an Issue wrote:

    Papalii might find himself out of a gig, I reckon Frizell will deadset turn it on Saturday night coming on fresh  Very Happy  .  As long as he doesn't do a him on Tim Browne I reckon there will be some fireworks when him and Klemmer come on.

    Fucken hell Klemmer is a piece of shit. Thanks for reminding me that you did select someone I hate aside from Fergo.

    Now I have someone to abuse every time they are on screen. I thought I might stuggle without Gallen and Bird.

    Dip

    Posts : 1281
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Dip on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:34 pm

    Most suprised Mansour was omitted. When I looked at the official team list I was also surprised Inglis (731)and JT (737) have an earlier test number than Smith (738), meaning they debuted earlier (JT and Smith might have been the same game). Also since Frizell is 810 I was surprised there'd been 80 new debutants since 2003 or whenever Inglis debuted. I'd have thought there might have only been 40-50 given how stable the QLD team was for most of that time.
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Mearcats on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:44 pm

    People think that the Queensland teams stability should mean that the Aus team was/is also but there is a bit more that goes into it than that.

    To begin with, most tests over the past 10 years have been played at the end of the season (I think) with a lot of the "regular" players ruling themselves out of contention (whether at the behest of their club/coach or through legitimate injury concerns) meaning an influx of debutants.

    Secondly, the variance of coaches over that period of time has an impact on the makeup of a team as well. Anderson, Stuart and Sheens coached during that period of time and you could almost guarantee had Sheens still been in control now that the team sheet would be different to what it is. Perhaps not markedly but different all the same.

    Dip

    Posts : 1281
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Dip on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:03 pm

    @Mearcats wrote:People think that the Queensland teams stability should mean that the Aus team was/is also but there is a bit more that goes into it than that.


    Or course. But by the same token, if when they're fit and available JT, Inglis, Slater, Smith, Lockyer, Cronk, Petro, Price, Webke and Scott have always been selected, and guys like Boyd, Thaiday, Gallen and Hayne have almost always been the same for at least 5 seasons in that period, then it doesn't leave many spots for the other 70 odd debutants to fill. There's obviously a lot more test matches in the last 15 years than there used to be (including a couple of world cups where they would have played second string guys against minnows). But that still sounds like a lot to me.

    Edit: 10 Years - Inglis debuted in 2006.
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 9547
    Reputation : 1725
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by SI on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:09 pm

    @Dip wrote:Most suprised Mansour was omitted. When I looked at the official team list I was also surprised Inglis (731)and JT (737) have an earlier test number than Smith (738), meaning they debuted earlier (JT and Smith might have been the same game). Also since Frizell is 810 I was surprised there'd been 80 new debutants since 2003 or whenever Inglis debuted. I'd have thought there might have only been 40-50 given how stable the QLD team was for most of that time.

    Yeah, Smith debuting after Inglis is very surprising.

    Dip

    Posts : 1281
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Dip on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:12 pm

    Standard has an Issue wrote:

    Yeah, Smith debuting after Inglis is very surprising.

    I guess there was a pretty handy number 9 occupying Smith's spot for a couple of years where as a couple of outside backs are replaced every test it seemed.
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5059
    Reputation : 1523
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 30
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Honeysett on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:34 pm

    @Dip wrote:Most suprised Mansour was omitted. When I looked at the official team list I was also surprised Inglis (731)and JT (737) have an earlier test number than Smith (738), meaning they debuted earlier (JT and Smith might have been the same game). Also since Frizell is 810 I was surprised there'd been 80 new debutants since 2003 or whenever Inglis debuted. I'd have thought there might have only been 40-50 given how stable the QLD team was for most of that time.

    He's getting married so he isn't over here.

    Dip

    Posts : 1281
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Dip on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:45 pm

    @Honeysett wrote:

    He's getting married so he isn't over here.

    Oh fair enough, and congratulations to him. To be honest I thought he was gay (which would make it even better if he could get married in Oz) but maybe at my age I just don't understand metrosexual/hipster. My gaydar might be a bit off in my old age, with news of this and Jarryd Hayne having a baby. Next thing you'll be telling me David Shillington is straight too.
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 9547
    Reputation : 1725
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by SI on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:51 pm

    @Dip wrote:
    @Honeysett wrote:

    He's getting married so he isn't over here.

    Oh fair enough, and congratulations to him. To be honest I thought he was gay (which would make it even better if he could get married in Oz) but maybe at my age I just don't understand metrosexual/hipster. My gaydar might be a bit off in my old age, with news of this and Jarryd Hayne having a baby. Next thing you'll be telling me David Shillington is straight too.
    LOOOL, I actually thought he may have been as well.  Never thought Hayne was but you were probably just having a decent swipe at him.  I also thought Heighington may have been as well for quite a few years.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Guest on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:53 pm

    Yeah Hayne having a baby out of wedlock despite being a religious nut of sorts is highly comical.

    Dip

    Posts : 1281
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Dip on Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:11 pm

    Standard has an Issue wrote:
    LOOOL, I actually thought he may have been as well.  Never thought Hayne was but you were probably just having a decent swipe at him.  I also thought Heighington may have been as well for quite a few years.

    I don't have a problem with gays so it's not a slur at all, I just seriously thought Hayne was gay. Couldn't really remember him being photographed or talking about a girlfriend, and used to alway take his mum to the Dally M's (which is really about the WAGS as much as the players) etc. To me it just seemed like for one of the games biggest stars, who has a lot going for him, that it was his way of trying to avoid talk about a relationship where in the eyes of a lot of the Australian public, a stigma is still attached. Though improving, I reckon there'd be lots of sportspeople who just don't want the added pressure and exposure of having to be the face of gay athletes. That's sad (and not the player's fault). If I was good enough to win a Dally M or some other prestigous sport award, I'd want to share that moment with my wife. I feel sorry for an athlete in that position that they don't get to share the spotlight with their most loved one because of everything else that would come with it. And also for their partner who doesn't get to publicly share their moment.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2297
    Reputation : 199
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Pieman on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:10 pm

    Standard has an Issue wrote:

    Yeah, Smith debuting after Inglis is very surprising.

    Its not that surprising considering Buderus was the best hooker to play the game till smith came along.
    Inglis would have debut on the wing, which generally younger blokes do.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2297
    Reputation : 199
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Pieman on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:12 pm

    TopDog wrote:Yeah Hayne having a baby out of wedlock despite being a religious nut of sorts is highly comical.
    yeah not to mention all the drinking and shit he does too. lol.
    avatar
    Random
    Moderator

    Posts : 4899
    Reputation : 623
    Join date : 2015-01-12
    Age : 25

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Random on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:13 pm

    I thi k everyone knows I am a massive Boyd fan. So he will go huge in the game.
    avatar
    filthridden

    Posts : 3804
    Reputation : 882
    Join date : 2015-09-27

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by filthridden on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:30 pm

    @Dip wrote:

    Oh fair enough, and congratulations to him. To be honest I thought he was gay (which would make it even better if he could get married in Oz) but maybe at my age I just don't understand metrosexual/hipster. My gaydar might be a bit off in my old age, with news of this and Jarryd Hayne having a baby. Next thing you'll be telling me David Shillington is straight too.

    the idea of a gaydar is pretty fucking offensive in this day and age.

    EDIT: Sorry probably went off a bit much there. I don't understand why everyone wants to know or speculate the sexuality of celebrities, everyones sexuality is their own business unless they want to use it to promote the fact that should already be 100% across the board - someone's sexuality doesn't matter and people shouldn't be judged on it and shouldn't have to hide it.

    Dip

    Posts : 1281
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Dip on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:58 pm

    @filthridden wrote:

    the idea of a gaydar is pretty fucking offensive in this day and age.

    EDIT: Sorry probably went off a bit much there. I don't understand why everyone wants to know or speculate the sexuality of celebrities, everyones sexuality is their own business unless they want to use it to promote the fact that should already be 100% across the board - someone's sexuality doesn't matter and people shouldn't be judged on it and shouldn't have to hide it.

    Well I'm sorry you got offended and I think my subsequent post indicates that I'm not attempting to degrigate him or any other person who may or may not be gay. I agree with you that sexuality doesn't matter but I am very interested about personality profiling (have a look at the web page Crystal Knows for some cool examples of how it can be used) and it was more an observation (that may be incorrect) than speculation.

    I know this is an issue you feel strongly about, so I will consider in further depth whether my comment is inappropriate. Right now I don't think it is.

    Dip

    Posts : 1281
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Dip on Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:01 pm

    @Pieman wrote:
    yeah not to mention all the drinking and shit he does too. lol.

    Drinking is anti religious? Jesus turning water into alcohol so a group of people who had already drunk the place dry could keep drinking was a watershed moment in my former religion.
    avatar
    code delta

    Posts : 1046
    Reputation : 332
    Join date : 2016-05-05

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by code delta on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:04 pm

    2000 years ago water into wine meant something different.
    I'll not comment on my forma religion.
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 9547
    Reputation : 1725
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by SI on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:20 pm

    @Dip wrote:
    @filthridden wrote:

    the idea of a gaydar is pretty fucking offensive in this day and age.

    EDIT: Sorry probably went off a bit much there. I don't understand why everyone wants to know or speculate the sexuality of celebrities, everyones sexuality is their own business unless they want to use it to promote the fact that should already be 100% across the board - someone's sexuality doesn't matter and people shouldn't be judged on it and shouldn't have to hide it.

    Well I'm sorry you got offended and I think my subsequent post indicates that I'm not attempting to degrigate him or any other person who may or may not be gay. I agree with you that sexuality doesn't matter but I am very interested about personality profiling (have a look at the web page Crystal Knows for some cool examples of how it can be used) and it was more an observation (that may be incorrect) than speculation.

    I know this is an issue you feel strongly about, so I will consider in further depth whether my comment is inappropriate. Right now I don't think it is.


    deg~ri~gate (verb, Kimmorleyism)
    first known historical use: Dip
    meaning: to denigrate someone so severely that they actually physically degrade
    root language global origin: Toytown
    avatar
    Mighty Fishes
    Moderator

    Posts : 3753
    Reputation : 883
    Join date : 2015-08-01

    Re: Australian Squad

    Post by Mighty Fishes on Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:12 pm

    @filthridden wrote:

    the idea of a gaydar is pretty fucking offensive in this day and age.

    EDIT: Sorry probably went off a bit much there. I don't understand why everyone wants to know or speculate the sexuality of celebrities, everyones sexuality is their own business unless they want to use it to promote the fact that should already be 100% across the board - someone's sexuality doesn't matter and people shouldn't be judged on it and shouldn't have to hide it.

    My mate who is gay told me he had a strightdar we were at the shops and said

    "hmm he just brought a pair of jeans without trying them on must be straight"

      Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:25 am