NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Australian Squad

Pieman
    Pieman

Australian Squad Empty Australian Squad

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:16 am

Cameron Smith (c) (Storm),
    Darius Boyd (Broncos),
    Shannon Boyd (Raiders),
    Boyd Cordner (Roosters),
    Cooper Cronk (Storm),
    Josh Dugan (Dragons),
    Blake Ferguson (Roosters),
    Jake Friend (Roosters),
    Tyson Frizell (Dragons),
    Matt Gillett (Broncos),
    Valentine Holmes (Sharks),
    Greg Inglis (Rabbitohs),
    David Klemmer (Bulldogs),
    James Maloney (Sharks),
    Josh Mansour (Panthers),
    Trent Merrin (Panthers),
    Michael Morgan (Cowboys),
    Matt Moylan (Panthers),
    Justin O’Neill (Cowboys),
    Josh Papalii (Raiders),
    Matt Scott Cowboys),
    Sam Thaiday (Broncos),
    Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys),
    Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers).

Off the top of my head, notable absences are:
    Jarryd Hayne, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, James tedesco, Andrew fifta - (he explained fifita's absense - they then picks josh dugan and fergo), Wade Graham, Semi, Jack Bird, Corey Oates, Josh Jackson, Dane Gagai, Mitch Pearce, Paul Gallen, Corey Parker, Josh Mcquire, Greg Bird, James Tamou

Blokes who should not be in that squad - dugan, fergo, shannon boyd, jake friend, val holmes, oneil, THIADAY is the worst selection in that squad.

Last edited by Pieman on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    Pieman
    Pieman

Australian Squad Empty Re: Australian Squad

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:18 am

So from the squad I am guessing the team looks like

1. boyd
    2. mansour
    3. inglis
    4. Dugan
    5. Fergo
    6. Thurston
    7. Cronk
    8. Scott
    9 . Smith (c)
    10. Woods
    11. Gillett
    12. Frizzel
    13. Merrin
    14. Morgan
    15. Thiaday
    16. Papalii
    17. Cordner/Klemmer/Boyd/
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:49 am

Pieman wrote:Cameron Smith (c) (Storm),
    Darius Boyd (Broncos),
    Shannon Boyd (Raiders),
    Boyd Cordner (Roosters),
    Cooper Cronk (Storm),
    Josh Dugan (Dragons),
    Blake Ferguson (Roosters),
    Jake Friend (Roosters),
    Tyson Frizell (Dragons),
    Matt Gillett (Broncos),
    Valentine Holmes (Sharks),
    Greg Inglis (Rabbitohs),
    David Klemmer (Bulldogs),
    James Maloney (Sharks),
    Josh Mansour (Panthers),
    Trent Merrin (Panthers),
    Michael Morgan (Cowboys),
    Matt Moylan (Panthers),
    Justin O’Neill (Cowboys),
    Josh Papalii (Raiders),
    Matt Scott Cowboys),
    Sam Thaiday (Broncos),
    Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys),
    Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers).

Jarryd Hayne, Jarrod Croker, Joey Leilua, James tedesco, Andrew fifta - (he explained fifita's absense - they then picks josh dugan and fergo), Wade Graham, Semi, Jack Bird, Corey Oates, Josh Jackson, Dane Gagai, Mitch Pearce, Paul Gallen, Corey Parker, Josh Mcquire, Greg Bird, James Tamou

Blokes who should not be in that squad - dugan, fergo, shannon boyd, jake friend, val holmes, oneil, THIADAY is the worst selection in that squad.
    Agree on most of that but don't mind the Shannon Boyd pick personally.  Even with Morgan as utility there is enough flexibility with Merrin/Thaiday/Papalli to cover forward injuries or rotate between SRF/FRF.  Always nice to have a monster coming off the bench.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:13 am

Standard has an Issue wrote:
    Agree on most of that but don't mind the Shannon Boyd pick personally.  Even with Morgan as utility there is enough flexibility with Merrin/Thaiday/Papalli to cover forward injuries or rotate between SRF/FRF.  Always nice to have a monster coming off the bench.

I dont hate it. I like it more if he is just in the squad and not the actual side.
    I hate it at the expense of fifita/graham/tamou/gallen/parker
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:17 am

Yeah, from a purely game pov Fifita obviously a big loss.  But fuck him.  Shitto.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:25 am

i will start, that i agree with not picking fifita, but once again we have picked fergy who has been meh since returning imo

here is the way i see it.

Fifita has been brilliant on the field for 2 years but supported a criminal he shouldn't have
    Fergy is a criminal and his form hasn't been near the same level as fifita

again, more anti fergy then pro fifita but i can't get on board with this suppose line in the sand.

i don't agree with the squad completely but i generally like the mix, dump fergy and find room for teddy(possibly at the expense of moylan) and i'm a huge fan on the squad
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:28 am

Friend had an ordinary year in a bad team but his selection more or less just shows how weak the hooker position is in Australia below smith
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:20 am

I think they specifically said Fafita and Semi were omitted due to still being under investigation by the integrity unit, rather than making a comment about past sins (not saying that's fair, just giving an explanation why they weren't picked while someone like Ferguson was).

Will be interesting to see what happens when the inevitable pull outs happen. Do they continue the look to the future policy, or do they go back on this if depth looks a bit thin? Guys like Gallen, Parker and Ennis right now are better players than guys selected in that squad. For poor old Ennis it is probably the closest he's ever been to national selection. Weird with Gallen as well since he hasn't actually retired yet. What happens in the integrity unit makes a ruling on Fafita shortly? Is he then eligible for selection?
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:33 am

From that squad here's the team I want picked:

1. Darius Boyd
    2. Valentine Holmes
    3. Greg Inglis
    4. Josh Dugan
    5. Josh Mansour
    6. Johnathan Thurston
    7. Cooper Cronk
    8. Matt Scott
    9. Cameron Smith (c)
    10. Aaron Woods
    11. Josh Papalii
    12. Boyd Cordner
    13. Matt Gillett
    14. Michael Morgan
    15. Tyson Frizell
    16. David Klemmer
    17. Trent Merrin

But I think that Ferguson will be in for Holmes, and Thaiday in for either Frizell or Merrin. Not sure who will play lock in the actual team. To be honest, as long as barring injury they don't pick Moloney, Moylan, O'Neill or Friend (who are all good players, especially the first two, but have much better players available for selection), then I'm not outraged at all. Even Boyd and what he brings I could live with as a bench player, particularly if we are on the front foot in the forwards, bringing him on could really bludgeon the opposition.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:49 am

my team

1. Boyd
    2. Holmes (like dip, i realize fergy will be here)
    3. GI
    4. O'neil - good year for the COWS and QLD, better centre then duges
    5. Mansour
    6. Johnathan Thurston
    7. Cooper Cronk
    8. Matt Scott - gets his spot on who is, but i think scott was clearly injured the last 2-3 months of the year, i'm not sure his body will hold up for the whole tour
    9. Cameron Smith (c)
    10. Aaron Woods
    11. Cordner (left)
    12. Gillet ( right)
    13. Merrin

14. Morgan
    15. Frizzell
    16. Klemmer
    17. Papali

Dip

Post by Dip Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:53 am

Pieman wrote:

Pretty good summary there. I think you could include the Morris brothers, Chambers, Munster and Jennings in there as well. Josh might have been playing injured (and might be unavailable), but if O'Neill makes it as an outside back then I think you have to say those 5 guys are unlucky to miss out. I know Jennings has copped a fair bit of criticism at origin level, but I think he's always done pretty well in tests.

I know they are looking to the future somewhat as well, but I hate that personally. We should be good enough to win or be favourites in pretty much every match we play when we've got close to a full strength team without looking to the future, so we can afford to do that. I also think there should be a strong element of reward for performance for an Aussie jumper, and it should be seen as the pinnacle achievement for Australian footballer. There is a local pub in my town that used to be owned by a former 1 test player. On the wall he had framed his QLD jersey (back from interstate days), together with his test jersey (or maybe it was a tour game, I can't remember). I'm sure that would have been a piece of huge pride to him, his family, and people who helped him get there. I'd hate for say Michael Ennis in 30 years time to be showing his origin jerseys to his grandchildren, and them ask if he played for Australia, for him to have to reply something like, "well I thought I should have been picked for the 2016 4 Nations, when I would have been picked after Cam Smith got a minor injury and missed one game, but they picked Jake Friend to tour instead". For me it doesn't matter if that's your 1st jersey or your 31st, you have pride in all of them, so it's not fair that Ennis, Parker and Gallen will miss out on them to someone else. Even if they don't play, I bet someone like Ennis would hold a touring blazer or training kit in a special place in his heart.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:28 am

far enough dippy.

Friend is about the 4th best hooker in the league behind Smith, Ennis, Farah then Friend/McCullough and co are all around the same level.

Friend has done nothing to deserve to be there. The only reason for him being there IMO is so mal can see him in a rep environment incase Smith gets hurt for origin/for when smith retires from origin.

standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:33 am

FAC
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:34 am

Dip wrote:I think they specifically said Fafita and Semi were omitted due to still being under investigation by the integrity unit, rather than making a comment about past sins (not saying that's fair, just giving an explanation why they weren't picked while someone like Ferguson was).

Will be interesting to see what happens when the inevitable pull outs happen. Do they continue the look to the future policy, or do they go back on this if depth looks a bit thin? Guys like Gallen, Parker and Ennis right now are better players than guys selected in that squad. For poor old Ennis it is probably the closest he's ever been to national selection. Weird with Gallen as well since he hasn't actually retired yet. What happens in the integrity unit makes a ruling on Fafita shortly? Is he then eligible for selection?

I thought there was a specific comment about being a good person (something along those lines)
    Some of these selections are fucking crazy.

I mean, Val homes and Oneil and not tedesco or hayne? seriously? Dont get me wrong, they are good players but fuck me dead they dont deserve to be in the Aus squad just yet (oneil if ever).
    Surely guys like Scott/Gillett are injured and wont make the tour?

Gallen has retired from rep footy and only made the last aus side because someone was hurt, from memory.

I just cant cop thaiday there. I really cant, the guy is a dud these days. Plays 1 good game every 3/4 weeks. 100% does not deserve to be there over guys like Graham/Jackson/Gavin cooper fuck even ethan lowe (I know he is hurt). If he was looking to the future then why not pick young guys with rep experience like Graham/Jackson? Its not like they are rookies. Thaiday just is not in the elite class any more for back rowers or front rowers.

Such an odd squad.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:53 am

Not sure where the anti-Thaiday campaign is coming from but his form towards the end of the season was immense for the Broncos.
    I'd almost go as far as saying borderline career best form.

As for O'Neil, I've never rated him too highly but again on form through Origin and towards the end of the season, he thoroughly deserves his spot.

For years I've been harping on about picking the best available team regardless of retirement, mainly on the back of not selecting blokes that have been honest about switching codes...but in fairness and in this instance the likes of Parker, Gallen and Ennis haven't really been clear cut selections IMO.

The non-selection of Fifita sets a dangerous precedent IMO too.
    Dip

Post by Dip Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:27 am

Pieman wrote:

I thought there was a specific comment about being a good person (something along those lines)
    Some of these selections are fucking crazy.

I mean, Val homes and Oneil and not tedesco or hayne? seriously? Dont get me wrong, they are good players but fuck me dead they dont deserve to be in the Aus squad just yet (oneil if ever).
    Surely guys like Scott/Gillett are injured and wont make the tour?

Gallen has retired from rep footy and only made the last aus side because someone was hurt, from memory.

I just cant cop thaiday there. I really cant, the guy is a dud these days. Plays 1 good game every 3/4 weeks. 100% does not deserve to be there over guys like Graham/Jackson/Gavin cooper fuck even ethan lowe (I know he is hurt). If he was looking to the future then why not pick young guys with rep experience like Graham/Jackson? Its not like they are rookies. Thaiday just is not in the elite class any more for back rowers or front rowers.

Such an odd squad.

Forgot about Gallen retiring from rep footy thanks.

Thaiday is a strange one in that teams he is in seem to play better than teams he is not in, even if not as a direct result of what he seems to do. It's like the biggest thing he brings to the team is experience. Agree with OSM in that he's been in great form at the end of the season, though I'd say no better than Graham and Cooper for example. I guess the thing that goes against someone like Cooper is that he does a great job as the wide running back rower that he is, but no better than Cordner, and probably no better than Frizell either. Graham is probably a victim of trying to avoid having too many playmakers in the team. With Smith, Cronk, Thurston, Boyd and Inglis in the team, I'd probably prefer to have my backrowers capitalising on gaps made by those guys, rather than trying to make the play themself. Again, if that's what is wanted out of the backrowers, then Graham does it no better than Friz and Cordner.

I actually really like the team, subject to any changes that are made due to pullouts. It should beat England and Scotland comfortably, and where we tend to lose to NZ in the last couple of years has been by being beaten up by their forward pack. With Scott, Woods, Papalii, Klemmer, Merrin etc we should be able to match their go forward, particularly with Mansour, Boyd, Duges, Inglis, Ferguson/Holmes being able to start the set off with some strong runs from kick returns and dummy half running.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:02 pm

Oz Sport Mad wrote:Not sure where the anti-Thaiday campaign is coming from but his form towards the end of the season was immense for the Broncos.
    I'd almost go as far as saying borderline career best form.

As for O'Neil, I've never rated him too highly but again on form through Origin and towards the end of the season, he thoroughly deserves his spot.

For years I've been harping on about picking the best available team regardless of retirement, mainly on the back of not selecting blokes that have been honest about switching codes...but in fairness and in this instance the likes of Parker, Gallen and Ennis haven't really been clear cut selections IMO.

The non-selection of Fifita sets a dangerous precedent IMO too.

The first half of the season he was on the bench, the last few games he was alright, the last game he was great.
    IMO - he is not half the player he use to be. At this stage in both their careers, he should not be getting picked in the australian team over someone like wade graham.
    Oneil - no. Just no. Does not deserve to be there over guys like Hayne, Bird, Leilua, Croker and so on. He is a good player, but fuck me dead he is not one of the elite centres in the league or elite backs.

The non selection of fifita is fucking weird.

I hope they stick to it then, never pick another bloke who is under investigation by the integrity unit.

filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:10 am

Surely that's a look towards the world cup next year.

Chances are Hayne won't be in the code by then. Fifita/Semi could piss off to union at any stage too.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:20 am

there is talk hayne wants to play for Fiji at the next World cup

what do you think of the kiwi team filth ? packs looks really strong, bench will be full of starting quality test forwards. with the years guys like harris, ma'u, jbrom and lolo had this year, there is no doubt your pack looks stronger then ours

even with SJ playing, the gap in the spine looks massive this year tho
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:27 am

i don't think much of the australia squad is a look to next year tbh

Maloney and friend are seasoned Vets who are being picked to cover guys, could have easily gone milf to get the experience but Mal has gone with the more established player in maloney just in case

Val is a winger, it may be a look to the future but i don't think many of the established outside backs put up that much of a better claim (teddy is a fullback, hayne wasn't that good since return and the canberra players are not expected to be fit to play untill halfway through the tour)

Boyd is the only player with a eye to the future imo, but its not like his form doesn't warrant the opportunity, i still am shocked he was picked over McGuire, i assume McGuire must have some sought of injury that we don't know about

with the canberra guys out, i think o'neil has been quite easily australia's next best centre, great year for the cows, played well for QLD, i can't see why him making it is a bad call pieman

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm