NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Share

    Poll

    Who will win?

    [ 6 ]
    55% [55%] 
    [ 5 ]
    45% [45%] 

    Total Votes: 11

    Dip

    Posts : 1189
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Dip on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:12 pm

    So it comes down to this? For me it's like asking what you'd prefer - a poke in the left eye or a poke in the right eye.

    My head says the Storm will be too good, but gee the Sharks were ultra impressive on the weekend. They might just be building to something special.

    I'll go Storm by 2, Munster MOM.

    leaguegod

    Posts : 794
    Reputation : 69
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by leaguegod on Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:36 pm

    going for the sharks, giving up being able to bag my brother form them bever getting a win, but happy to cheer them on with him, especially given i still appreciate Ennis for all he did for the dogs and would love to see him go out on top

    i thought the sharks were more impressive on the weekend but i also think the storm got a bigger test (cows were clearly buggered, once sharks started fast and physical, cows were gone)

    i also think the score in round 26 flattered storm a touch, it did show they are much more composed then the sharks but Sharks were on top for large periods, just kept blowing their chances.

    i'm gonna tip Cronulla by 4 with Jack bird my smokey for CC
    avatar
    Random
    Moderator

    Posts : 4881
    Reputation : 622
    Join date : 2015-01-12
    Age : 25

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Random on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:01 pm

    I am going for the Storm, though it would be fine if Ennis went out a winner. I would rather he didn't because I dislike the Sharks.
    avatar
    Pain

    Posts : 1501
    Reputation : 293
    Join date : 2015-07-30

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Pain on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:42 pm

    Gallen is my only barrier to cheering on the Sharks. I've enjoyed watching them play this year. Can't ever remember enjoying a storm game.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3302
    Reputation : 913
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by No Worries on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:17 am

    I love that Queenslanders have no option but to barrack for the Storm
    avatar
    Krump

    Posts : 2409
    Reputation : 391
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Krump on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:43 am

    No Worries wrote:I love that Queenslanders have no option but to barrack for the Storm
    Dip must be feeling seriously conflicted.
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 9468
    Reputation : 1693
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by SI on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:12 am

    No Worries wrote:I love that Queenslanders have no option but to barrack for the Storm
    I'm cheering for the Sharks.

    Dip

    Posts : 1189
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Dip on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:05 am

    Krump wrote:
    Dip must be feeling seriously conflicted.

    Haha. To be honest while I really admire the way players like Smith, Slater and Cronk play, they've never been close to my favourite players, and the Storm certainly hasn't since they wen't the wrestle/grind style. I really only go for Slater and Smith when they play for QLD or Aus. I tell you what, it was hard going for Manly in 2008 and the Bulldogs in 2012.

    If it wasn't for the systematic drug program, it'd be easy to go for Cronulla. Mind you if what should have happened with the coach and administration being fired, and Gallen and co now being about 2 months back from a 2 year suspension, you'd say it would have been pretty unlikely that they'd be here. I reckon if Flanagan and Gallen weren't there it'd be easy to go for the Sharks. I've got a lot of time for guys like Lewis, Graham, Moloney, Bird etc. Even Ennis I quite like because of the way he can switch modes and seem to be the best guy in the world off the field. He should have been out for a couple of weeks due to a shoulder charge, but hey, that's not his fault the MRC is incompetent.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1065
    Reputation : 244
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:04 am

    Dip wrote:

    Haha. To be honest while I really admire the way players like Smith, Slater and Cronk play, they've never been close to my favourite players, and the Storm certainly hasn't since they wen't the wrestle/grind style. I really only go for Slater and Smith when they play for QLD or Aus. I tell you what, it was hard going for Manly in 2008 and the Bulldogs in 2012.

    If it wasn't for the systematic drug program, it'd be easy to go for Cronulla. Mind you if what should have happened with the coach and administration being fired, and Gallen and co now being about 2 months back from a 2 year suspension, you'd say it would have been pretty unlikely that they'd be here. I reckon if Flanagan and Gallen weren't there it'd be easy to go for the Sharks. I've got a lot of time for guys like Lewis, Graham, Moloney, Bird etc. Even Ennis I quite like because of the way he can switch modes and seem to be the best guy in the world off the field. He should have been out for a couple of weeks due to a shoulder charge, but hey, that's not his fault the MRC is incompetent.

    I'd say Krump hit the nail on the head because even after reading your post I'm still not sure who you are going for!

    Dip

    Posts : 1189
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Dip on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:09 am

    Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    I'd say Krump hit the nail on the head because even after reading your post I'm still not sure who you are going for!

    Yep. Though my point was that it my decision has nothing to do with being a Queenslander, as I've supported NSW teams vs Melbourne in the past. Systematic salary cap cheating is not as bad as a systematic drug program, so Melbourne!
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 4999
    Reputation : 1491
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 30
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Honeysett on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:18 am

    Dip wrote:

    Yep. Though my point was that it my decision has nothing to do with being a Queenslander, as I've supported NSW teams vs Melbourne in the past. Systematic salary cap cheating is not as bad as a systematic drug program, so Melbourne!

    Isn't it? You're creating something from scratch with cheating the salary cap. With drug cheating you're just pushing human boundaries. Both fucked up but I think salary cap cheating is worse.

    avatar
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 5286
    Reputation : 1543
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Milchcow on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:23 am


    I think it shows how much better Cronulla were at handling the drug issue than Essendon.

    There were a lot of suggestions at the time that Cronulla shouldn't have laid down and accepted there (very very trivial) suspension, and that ASADA had nothing on them and they should not have laid down so easily.

    Meanwhile Essendon tried to pretend nothing happened and that everything would get swept under the rug.

    I think there's a few people feeling quite vindicated in their decision now.

    Dip

    Posts : 1189
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Dip on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:32 am

    Milchcow wrote:
    I think it shows how much better Cronulla were at handling the drug issue than Essendon.

    There were a lot of suggestions at the time that Cronulla shouldn't have laid down and accepted there (very very trivial) suspension, and that ASADA had nothing on them and they should not have laid down so easily.

    Meanwhile Essendon tried to pretend nothing happened and that everything would get swept under the rug.

    I think there's a few people feeling quite vindicated in their decision now.

    I agree that Cronulla got off much better than Essendon, but I don't think it necessarily vindicated their position. The Cronulla players and admin always refuted they had done wrong but in the face of an ordinary ASADA investigation with reasonably strong evidence, then got a bloody good offer they couldn't refuse, while laying the blame entirely on 1 fall guy who was not critical to their operation - Stephen Dank. To say a good result vindicated their position implies they took a course of action that was the correct way to go and the reason why only half a dozen players missed a month of football and the coach half a season. I'd say Cronulla getting the result they did was more about them dodging a bullet. A very big cannon bullet fired at them from very close range that still seemed to somehow miss.

    I might just be being biased against Gallen and co though.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3302
    Reputation : 913
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by No Worries on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:03 pm

    The match officials for the Grand Final are:
    Lead Referee: Matt Cecchin
    Assist Referee: Ben Cummins
    Senior Review Official: Bernard Sutton
    Review Officials: Luke Patten and Ashley Klein
    Touch Judges: Jeff Younis and Brett Suttor
    Standby Referee: Gerard Sutton
    Standby Touch Judge: Chris Butler

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1065
    Reputation : 244
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:25 pm

    No Worries wrote:The match officials for the Grand Final are:
    Lead Referee: Matt Cecchin
    Assist Referee: Ben Cummins
    Senior Review Official: Bernard Sutton
    Review Officials: Luke Patten and Ashley Klein
    Touch Judges: Jeff Younis and Brett Suttor
    Standby Referee: Gerard Sutton
    Standby Touch Judge: Chris Butler

    Unbelievable.

    Cecchin is a pretty shit ref in general but watching the way he handled the Canberra/Melb game and the way it got out of control, I thought he was buckley's chance of being appointed lead ref.

    Not to mention he completely fucked up the week before that.....but I'll no doubt be accused of bias in that one.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3302
    Reputation : 913
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by No Worries on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:32 pm

    Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Unbelievable.

    Cecchin is a pretty shit ref in general but watching the way he handled the Canberra/Melb game and the way it got out of control, I thought he was buckley's chance of being appointed lead ref.

    Not to mention he completely fucked up the week before that.....but I'll no doubt be accused of bias in that one.
    What about the Melbourne conversion that he put in the wrong spot

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1065
    Reputation : 244
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:03 pm

    Honeysett wrote:

    Isn't it? You're creating something from scratch with cheating the salary cap. With drug cheating you're just pushing human boundaries. Both fucked up but I think salary cap cheating is worse.


    Of course drug cheating is worse.

    Just because a player is paid more doesn't mean they are a better player, whereas performance enhancing drug taking will generally always make someone a better player.

    It's nominal $ values and the best team on paper (e.g. the Warriors this season) still has to go out and win the comp.

    avatar
    Krump

    Posts : 2409
    Reputation : 391
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Krump on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:37 pm

    Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Of course drug cheating is worse.

    Just because a player is paid more doesn't mean they are a better player, whereas performance enhancing drug taking will generally always make someone a better player.

    It's nominal $ values and the best team on paper (e.g. the Warriors this season) still has to go out and win the comp.

    It's about assembling the best team not the best players, saying having more money to spend doesn't make a team better is ridiculous.
    The fact the storm won comps whilst cheating makes it worse. Cronulla were on drugs but they still didn't win squat.

    Dip

    Posts : 1189
    Reputation : 163
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Dip on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:45 pm

    Krump wrote:
    It's about assembling the best team not the best players, saying having more money to spend doesn't make a team better is ridiculous.
    The fact the storm won comps whilst cheating makes it worse. Cronulla were on drugs but they still didn't win squat.

    It is certainly easier for hate Melbourne more than say Parra because yes they won, but the worst thing about them is that they never really had the week by week downside that should occur for a team to be punished fully. After they were penalised in 2010, in 2011 they should have made the GF and were hot favourites to against a Warriors team that had 50 put on them in week 1 of the finals, and they have continued on their merry way each year since. Having said that, the reason I hate them is as much about the wrestling they introduced and perfected, and their bandwagon fans in QLD (I can handle bandwagon fans, but not ones who rub your nose in their success when their success was built around a lie. Without the lie those guys wouldn't even be Storm supporters).

    It does pose an interesting question about how long you should hate a team for because of the salary cap. I don't hate the Bulldogs anymore, and really I probably stopped hating them when they won the spoon after SBW left in about 2008. I guess by then to me it was a different team. It's now the 7th season of the Storm, and while the big 3 are still there I'm not sure I'm ready to stop hating them yet (+ the other 2 factors remain, wrestling and fans).

    To me, if the Sharks players got a decent suspension and the coaching staff sacked, I could probably get on board with them, as they've done a lot of good things since then and are an almost completely different team. They've recruited really well and play a tough style.

    Personally, I don't really buy once a player has served a drug suspension then everything is AOK, and that it is better than a salary cap cheat. A salary cap can be rectified reasonably simply, you just cut some players, but players who have benefitted from drugs might forever be better players due to the advantages they got when they were on drugs. Brian Smith certainly seems to think so about a certain lower grade Parramatta player who changed clubs, then seemed to get a lot bigger awfully quick. If that suggestion is true, then the gains that player made certainly didn't come straight off when they stopped on the juice. Whose to say that the person would have ever made the grade if they were still a small forward and taken a couple of years longer to build up to the same size. They may have had to play a different type of game to which they were not suited, and never made first grade or had the confidence to make it like they did when they were a 40 tackle, 20 hit-up player. Who knows, maybe they would have ended up the same size but with better ball skills, and been the best player in the game. I do think however that if you are caught as a drug cheat, you deserve to have the worst assumed against you.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1065
    Reputation : 244
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: NRL Grand Final 2nd October 2016 Match Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:44 pm

    Krump wrote:
    It's about assembling the best team not the best players, saying having more money to spend doesn't make a team better is ridiculous.
    The fact the storm won comps whilst cheating makes it worse. Cronulla were on drugs but they still didn't win squat.

    I never said it doesn't make a better team, I said it doesn't necessarily make a better team.

      Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:32 pm