NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

NFL Fantasy II

NFL Fantasy II - Page 24 Empty Re: NFL Fantasy II

Post by Guest Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:08 am

Revraiser wrote:

Come on youngen  - You picked up Carr off the FA, then  shopped him around when  everyone knows u just picked him up to try and trade. Then dumped him back in the FA. It was more smart then not being coveted that no one took the bait.
    Everyone has a decent QB, and if they go down or the bye comes along u just stream.

Wrong. I picked him the week before as bye cover for Brees and after he'd fulfilled his purpose, I figured rather than just dropping him the week after i'd see if i could get something for him considering he's ranked as a starter even in an 8-team league.
    Shanbon
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:44 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:Yeah, 8-team leagues with all the RB issues, most can't really afford to hold 2 QBs. I was the last person to have Carr b4 u mate, got him off FA myself, but my roster is stacked with fullahs Im having to take a punt on at RB cause all of mine stink lol! No idea how I am still leading the div. By all accounts my roster is probably top 4 at best....

I was looking at your team last night, im surprised too considering your RBs. The timing of our trade was really bad for you, Martin was due back and then re-inured at training days after the trade. Similar thing happened to me when i got Dez as he was injured, had for weeks now and only just got back on the field.

Im willing to trade again if you want RB upgrades
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:32 am

Well the Mathews trade was an absolute flop on my end Sad Doh!
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:49 am

Archer wrote:Well the Mathews trade was an absolute flop on my end Sad Doh!

Keep swingin' !!
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:28 pm

Archer wrote:Well the Mathews trade was an absolute flop on my end Sad Doh!

At least you said it mate. Yeah I'm sorry to say but you got fully duped on that trade... Hows the fullah going in your league that got that one over on ya?
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:32 pm

Shanbon wrote:

I was looking at your team last night, im surprised too considering your RBs. The timing of our trade was really bad for you, Martin was due back and then re-inured at training days after the trade. Similar thing happened to me when i got Dez as he was injured, had for weeks now and only just got back on the field.

Im willing to trade again if you want RB upgrades

I've gotten lucky aye! My biggest problem is that because I've gotten lucky I haven't been able to pick up anyone decent on waivers. There's been a ton of good RBs come up but I can't get any of them.....

Nah, no more trades for me. I'm banking on Martin coming back later and hoping 1 or 2 of the RBs Ive taken a punt on off FA, Gillislee, Lewis, Jennings might come good. The only thing that is saving me are the guys you would want to trade off me haha, so gonna keep that core together now: Brees, Gronk, Jones, Denver, and at times Cooks....

We got a match up this week, I have a feeling you win cause I got Gronk out...
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:06 pm

Aiight, queued some waivers, hopefully I've figured this out and haven't fucked something up (If so I'm really sorry).

I have some Waivers which involve the same person on my team for different options to pick up. Im making the assumption that if that player goes in one of my higher ranked waivers then whatever involves him later is just cancelled. If this isn't the case and it somehow goes haywire then as I said, sorry (I'll find out when I wake in the morning i guess).

Last edited by Archer on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:10 pm

Also Rippin, eh I was happy to take a risk, was really short on RB's that week (I think actually If i didn't pick one off waiver or trades then I didn't have enough for the week). Maybe its because I'm still new at it, but to me it just feels like it was unlucky and still happy I made it and had a crack.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:33 pm

Archer wrote:Also Rippin, eh I was happy to take a risk, was really short on RB's that week (I think actually If i didn't pick one off waiver or trades then I didn't have enough for the week). Maybe its because I'm still new at it, but to me it just feels like it was unlucky and still happy I made it and had a crack.

I'm pretty new too mate so what do I know really.

On the other hand my advice is that I think the place where you might have got suckered into that one was the reasoning that Mathews is an RB1 which he is, but that doesn't mean he's a good one Smile the reality is that Philly's running game is going nowhere, but more so the form of the two at the time of the trade was probably the sucker punch. I.e. Cooks had had a couple poor games, and Mathews the odd good one. At the end of the day though on average Cooks was a 4th round pick in most 8 team drafts (30th overall) and Mathews was a 9th round pick (65th overall). Don't mean to be a arse but that alone should have had the alarm bells ringing and I would say in a lot of leagues that trade would have gotten vetoed...

That being said I fully get your conundrum, I too am up the creek in terms of RBs. I actually own Mathews too - something in common huh, lol! And when you are new to this, which I am too, its pretty hard to know what to do. I'm lucky as I have my brother-in-law who I can turn to.

Put this down to a learning for next year mate, but sadly in this case I would say you got well and truly duped.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:40 am

Ah put the boot in hey !

Your waiver claim query is right Archer, u just submit them in the order of ur preference, if u pick him up the remaining claims will just be canned. With that, remember u can always put further claims in for other players using the same layers, it all just sorts itself out.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:41 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

I'm pretty new too mate so what do I know really.

On the other hand my advice is that I think the place where you might have got suckered into that one was the reasoning that Mathews is an RB1 which he is, but that doesn't mean he's a good one Smile the reality is that Philly's running game is going nowhere, but more so the form of the two at the time of the trade was probably the sucker punch. I.e. Cooks had had a couple poor games, and Mathews the odd good one. At the end of the day though on average Cooks was a 4th round pick in most 8 team drafts (30th overall) and Mathews was a 9th round pick (65th overall). Don't mean to be a arse but that alone should have had the alarm bells ringing and I would say in a lot of leagues that trade would have gotten vetoed...

That being said I fully get your conundrum, I too am up the creek in terms of RBs. I actually own Mathews too - something in common huh, lol! And when you are new to this, which I am too, its pretty hard to know what to do. I'm lucky as I have my brother-in-law who I can turn to.

Put this down to a learning for next year mate, but sadly in this case I would say you got well and truly duped.
    Pre draft rankings have little to do in regards to affecting trade value that far into the season, Mathews was the lead back in a run first team with a rookie QB, the fumbling issue last few games have affected his value NOW but when the trade was made Cooks was floundering and will always be a 3,4 ,4 28 scorer, Sproles is too small to handle a 20 touch a game workload, Matthews will get his role back

That is like saying you wouldn't trade Gurley for Gordon because Gordon was going in the 10th and Gurley in the first. stupid reasoning

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:56 am

pretty annoyed at myself, reached for Gordon at news of his exit for rehab, because the only weakness in my team right now is my WR depth, then when i realized Riddick was active last week, thought long and hard about picking him up before deciding not to, that i'd shown my hand and someone desperate might take Gordon if i put him back into free agency, needless to say, Riddick killed it last week and due to being last in the order i missed him on waivers...
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:00 am

surmo13 wrote:pretty annoyed at myself, reached for Gordon at news of his exit for rehab, because the only weakness in my team right now is my WR depth, then when i realized Riddick was active last week, thought long and hard about picking him up before deciding not to, that i'd shown my hand and someone desperate might take Gordon if i put him back into free agency, needless to say, Riddick killed it last week and due to being last in the order i missed him on waivers...
    muhhahahahahaha!!

wanted West on top of Riddick would of been happy with either, although Riddick the safer option long term
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:18 pm

Speaking of being short on RB's... I really wish Martin would sort his shit out. After missing out on Charcandrick I'm going to have to find someone else to fill in for the week. Would be so much simpler if I could just play one of the blokes i already have though Sad
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:34 am

Archer wrote:Speaking of being short on RB's... I really wish Martin would sort his shit out.  After missing out on Charcandrick I'm going to have to find someone else to fill in for the week. Would be so much simpler if I could just play one of the blokes i already have though Sad

Who's available on FA mate?

Cant expect much of FA but guys like Hightower, Montgomery, Sproles, Asiata, Smith, Gillislee, even Henry are fullahs that should mostly be available and could fill a gap. Some better than others depending on injuries etc.
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:00 am

Welshy wrote:
    Pre draft rankings have little to do in regards to affecting trade value that far into the season, Mathews was the lead back in a run first team with a rookie QB, the fumbling issue last few games have affected his value NOW but when the trade was made Cooks was floundering and will always be a 3,4 ,4 28 scorer, Sproles is too small to handle a 20 touch a game workload, Matthews will get his role back

That is like saying you wouldn't trade Gurley for Gordon because Gordon was going in the 10th and Gurley in the first. stupid reasoning

I'm sorry but that trade was simply not a fair one. I would be incredibly surprised if you could find anyone that knows about NFL fantasy that would say otherwise.

The form argument was smoke and mirrors mate and I think you knew that at the time of the trade...

You are right, the pre draft rankings can be a weak argument, but its not the only one I made. The fact that Mathews was the lead RB means very little given it was on a Philly side that had  (and still does have) no idea what they are doing on offence, particularly with their running game. The only reason I have held onto Matthews until now is that there is just enough room to warrant a place for him deep on my bench in the hope Philly might sort them selves out... The only reason I drafted him was because I am new to the game myself. Week in week out there are better players on the waiver wire than him though....I believe despite my woeful RB situation I've played Mathews once since week 3!

Otherwise you only have to look at the numbers to see where Mathews value is at. His first game was a complete outlier, and his fantasy scores after two games were only respectable because of TDs which should be a massive red flag. To see a RBs true fantasy value you need to look at carries per game (his are terribly low for a lead back, ~8 since week 2), yards per carry (pretty poor, 3.8 ), and where they sit as a receiving threat (almost non-existent, ~1 per game).

On the other hand everyone knows (as you rightly point out) that Cooks is an inconsistent scorer. That being said he is on a team which is often chasing points and therefore passing dominates, has a QB that will tend to target him, and is a player who has the ability to put up monster plays! It should be no concern or surprise therefore that his form can be a little down at the times. I think you took advantage of that with someone who is new to the game.

So what does that equate to? Cooks is the 5th ranked WR  and Mathews ranks 27th of RBs...

Anyway, I'm clearly not gonna get you to agree with me, but thought I would support my position with some facts that you can't deny.

I just think its a bit of a shame when new players get taken advantage of in trades (bearing in mind that I am not even in your guys league).
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:21 am

Come on guy's, whose next to reply ?  This banter is all thats keeping the thread alive !

Last edited by Revraiser on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Rippin and Tearin
    Rippin and Tearin

Post by Rippin and Tearin Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:38 am

Haha, I'm done Smile Sorry...

Sadly I too am with Archer on the Martin thing. Traded for the bugger when he was 1 week away from his scheduled comeback... 3 weeks later Sad

Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:56 am

Rippin and Tearin wrote:

I'm sorry but that trade was simply not a fair one. I would be incredibly surprised if you could find anyone that knows about NFL fantasy that would say otherwise.

The form argument was smoke and mirrors mate and I think you knew that at the time of the trade...

You are right, the pre draft rankings can be a weak argument, but its not the only one I made. The fact that Mathews was the lead RB means very little given it was on a Philly side that had  (and still does have) no idea what they are doing on offence, particularly with their running game. The only reason I have held onto Matthews until now is that there is just enough room to warrant a place for him deep on my bench in the hope Philly might sort them selves out... The only reason I drafted him was because I am new to the game myself. Week in week out there are better players on the waiver wire than him though....I believe despite my woeful RB situation I've played Mathews once since week 3!

Otherwise you only have to look at the numbers to see where Mathews value is at. His first game was a complete outlier, and his fantasy scores after two games were only respectable because of TDs which should be a massive red flag. To see a RBs true fantasy value you need to look at carries per game (his are terribly low for a lead back, ~8 since week 2), yards per carry (pretty poor, 3.8 ), and where they sit as a receiving threat (almost non-existent, ~1 per game).

On the other hand everyone knows (as you rightly point out) that Cooks is an inconsistent scorer. That being said he is on a team which is often chasing points and therefore passing dominates, has a QB that will tend to target him, and is a player who has the ability to put up monster plays! It should be no concern or surprise therefore that his form can be a little down at the times. I think you took advantage of that with someone who is new to the game.

So what does that equate to? Cooks is the 5th ranked WR  and Mathews ranks 27th of RBs...

Anyway, I'm clearly not gonna get you to agree with me, but thought I would support my position with some facts that you can't deny.

I just think its a bit of a shame when new players get taken advantage of in trades (bearing in mind that I am not even in your guys league).
    Forgetting obviously that RBs hold more value than WRs especially TD depandant WR like Cooks, NO throw the ball around a lot that's a given,but they have multiple weapons to go to....Cooks, Snead, Thomas, Fleener, Ingram all getting looks then...as its been said Mathews was getting all the looks in the backfield at the time of the trade surrounded by nothing other than Jordan Mathews and Sproles on long 3rd downs to take his touches, only thing that has stopped his looks is fumbling issues....if you want to say about skewing scores with TDs then discount cooks and his monster games then you will find his yardage receiving totals are average at best and very much in line with Mathews and his rushing like I said fumbling issues have prevented his rush attempts being 15+. Mathews will get his touches back. Funnily nothing was said at the time of the trade but now cooks has scored 3 TDs on the bounce with a monster game in theres grumblings, the trade was broadcast on here also, pretty sure it was @Random agreed to its fairness at that point
    BroncHose
    BroncHose

Post by BroncHose Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:46 am

Russ, I hope you get to updating your team for our top of the table clash.
    It will be bitter sweet if I have to win with you still having Brady and Gostkowski starting.

I'd much rather own you fair and square!!!
    Fishing

Just quietly though, with a couple on byes myself, if you do update - its going to be a close one!!!

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm