NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Share
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Mearcats on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:55 pm

    I'm just not buying it, simple as that. Unless he has some huge resurgence or whatnot, I just see it as a a waste of cap space. The guy is Benji Marshall, sure, but he's over the hill. Even at 80k he's a waste of money. The only thing he could do we'll is spend some time with our halves to help improve their confidence and decision making and even then he ain't the right guy for that either.
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Mearcats on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:56 pm

    And yeah @TopDog, Nana is the kind of signing I'd like to see. Forwards are a position where we could use a bit of bolstering, especially with that big blood nut!

    Dip

    Posts : 1280
    Reputation : 187
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Dip on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:09 pm

    Plus, with Reed leaving he's needed to keep our Ranga quota appropriate. It already took a hit when Wallace left a couple of years ago.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1121
    Reputation : 265
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:14 pm

    @Dip wrote:Plus, with Reed leaving he's needed to keep our Ranga quota appropriate. It already took a hit when Wallace left a couple of years ago.

    Let's not forget that we also need to mitigate the risk of Steve Michaels returning
    avatar
    surmo13

    Posts : 1197
    Reputation : 145
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by surmo13 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:24 pm

    @Mearcats wrote:Am I the only Broncs fan here that thinks this is a dumb move if it eventuates?

    If we were shelling out for him perhaps, but if the rumoured league minimum contract is correct, where's the harm? He plays out his days for Redcliffe and if Hunt and/or Milford play origin/get injured, we have some-one better than Darren Nicholls to consider for filling in for them
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Mearcats on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:12 pm

    @surmo13 wrote:

    If we were shelling out for him perhaps, but if the rumoured league minimum contract is correct, where's the harm? He plays out his days for Redcliffe and if Hunt and/or Milford play origin/get injured, we have some-one better than Darren Nicholls to consider for filling in for them

    I'm all for depth, sure, but why use money in a salary cap to get someone like that when that money could be used to potentially swing a bigger fish. I. E. Instead of offering 400k a year you can offer closer to 5. Then simply utilise your second tier salary cap if a half goes down injured and Bris has some decent young guys in the juniors and feeders.

    I guess I don't hate it especially if we're not relying on him and he's just playing ressies. Just would've looked elsewhere personally.
    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 1478
    Reputation : 255
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 28

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by ryno_ on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:40 pm

    @Pieman wrote:Can someone please tell Corey Parker that Paul Vaughn just signed with the dragons for 580k a year?

    Thanks

    Can someone please tell Paul Vaughn that if he would have taken less money he wouldnt have to move to a state he's never lived in and up root his entire life when he could stay put and still earn money most people only dream of?

    Thanks
    avatar
    surmo13

    Posts : 1197
    Reputation : 145
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by surmo13 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:48 pm

    @Mearcats wrote:

    I'm all for depth, sure, but why use money in a salary cap to get someone like that when that money could be used to potentially swing a bigger fish. I. E. Instead of offering 400k a year you can offer closer to 5. Then simply utilise your second tier salary cap if a half goes down injured and Bris has some decent young guys in the juniors and feeders.

    I guess I don't hate it especially if we're not relying on him and he's just playing ressies. Just would've looked elsewhere personally.

    If we're paying him league minimum we don't lose any money off the salary cap signing him because he'd just be replacing somebody else that was on minimum wage in the top 25.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3456
    Reputation : 971
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by No Worries on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:19 pm

    @surmo13 wrote:

    If we were shelling out for him perhaps, but if the rumoured league minimum contract is correct, where's the harm? He plays out his days for Redcliffe and if Hunt and/or Milford play origin/get injured, we have some-one better than Darren Nicholls to consider for filling in for them

    Spoken like a true club trying to buy a premiership. Fed not bred hey Sumo.
    Couldn't use that $150K to sure up a couple of youngsters ?
    avatar
    surmo13

    Posts : 1197
    Reputation : 145
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by surmo13 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:29 pm

    @No Worries wrote:

    Spoken like a true club trying to buy a premiership. Fed not bred hey Sumo.
    Couldn't use that $150K to sure up a couple of youngsters ?

    of course NW, we can't aspire to such lofty heights as the Tigers still paying all their youngsters years after they've left the club
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Mearcats on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:52 pm

    @No Worries wrote:

    Spoken like a true club trying to buy a premiership. Fed not bred hey Sumo.
    Couldn't use that $150K to sure up a couple of youngsters ?

    It's rare that many teams get the chance to hang onto their juniors anymore so that argument is about as valid as most that Tony Abbott makes but sure, if it floats ya boat. Beyond me how you'd go pointing a finger at Bris tho (or Canberra and Penrith for that matter) when wading into such a discussion. Perhaps ask Melbourne how they feel about having Smith and Cronk down there. Or the Goldy and Ash Taylor. Most of the time we are buying back our own players that we couldn't retain as juniors, not our fault there's a plethora of talent up here in comparison to your dried up puddle in the middle of the Sahara mate.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3456
    Reputation : 971
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by No Worries on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:05 pm

    @Mearcats wrote:

    It's rare that many teams get the chance to hang onto their juniors anymore so that argument is about as valid as most that Tony Abbott makes but sure, if it floats ya boat. Beyond me how you'd go pointing a finger at Bris tho (or Canberra and Penrith for that matter) when wading into such a discussion. Perhaps ask Melbourne how they feel about having Smith and Cronk down there. Or the Goldy and Ash Taylor. Most of the time we are buying back our own players that we couldn't retain as juniors, not our fault there's a plethora of talent up here in comparison to your dried up puddle in the middle of the Sahara mate.

    It's quite easy to wade into this argument when your club statistically provides more developed/graded juniors to the competition than almost any other. It gives you the right to comment on "you can't keep them all" as apposed to the likes of Brisbane who don't even have the talent scouts to notice Smith, Cronk, Inglis - let me stop there this shit is getting embarrassing. When you are essentially propping up the competion with a junior base lets be comical and say 1/4 the size of Brisbane, it's easy to see which clubs are trying to buying a premiership. The one part of your argument we agree on is that you choose to pay has beens than hold onto your own juniors, thats why they end up at other clubs.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Guest on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:14 pm

    @No Worries wrote: choose to pay has beens than hold onto your own juniors, thats why they end up at other clubs.

    Sounds like the Tigers.

    Oh wait, they hold onto their juniors but pay for has beens to play at other clubs. Close enough.
    avatar
    surmo13

    Posts : 1197
    Reputation : 145
    Join date : 2015-10-22

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by surmo13 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:24 pm

    Broncos have one of the highest percentage of home-grown representation in the league, but then when has dribbling shit stopped any of the usual suspects before...
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2287
    Reputation : 197
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Pieman on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:07 pm

    @ryno_ wrote:

    Can someone please tell Paul Vaughn that if he would have taken less money he wouldnt have to move to a state he's never lived in and up root his entire life when he could stay put and still earn money most people only dream of?

    Thanks

    Lol, Woolongong is a 2 hour drive to canberra.
    Quicker than driving from Brisbane to the Gold coast in peak hour.

    On a more important note, whats that got to do with Corey Parker lol!
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2287
    Reputation : 197
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Pieman on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:08 pm

    OF COURSE ITS A FUCKING SUPID SIGNING, he is that far over the hill its not funny.
    Benji is not rejecting a 300k contract and accepting a league minimum contract, unless he is signing for 80k and getting a couple hundred in TPAs

    The team has a few of the best halves in the game, one of the best fullbacks in the game and a plethora of young talent to choose from. Why the FUCK would a side sign benji when they have all that lol.

    This is bennett saying, i like benji i want to coach him so im signing him
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Mearcats on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:20 pm

    @No Worries wrote:

    It's quite easy to wade into this argument when your club statistically provides more developed/graded juniors to the competition than almost any other. It gives you the right to comment on "you can't keep them all" as apposed to the likes of Brisbane who don't even have the talent scouts to notice Smith, Cronk, Inglis - let me stop there this shit is getting embarrassing. When you are essentially propping up the competion with a junior base lets be comical and say 1/4 the size of Brisbane, it's easy to see which clubs are trying to buying a premiership. The one part of your argument we agree on is that you choose to pay has beens than hold onto your own juniors, thats why they end up at other clubs.

    Really??? You're joking right? That's the argument you want to go with? Ok, so beforehand I was prepared to give you some credit but I feel I may redact that now. You're sounding like a biased, one eyed Manly fan. To insinuate that Bris doesn't have a solid, if not large, juniors base is, in your own words, comical!

    As for your juniors, so longs as, a) you keep producing people like Lodge and b) the QUALITY (not quantity) of what you produce wouldn't make a reserve grade side in a third world country, you'll get no respect here mate. I don't care if you're juniors basis is the equivalent of the worlds largest untapped oil field. If that oil turns out to not be suitable for petrol then who give a rats arse? 

    As for Bris talent scouts, yup, we fucked up with Thurston, but then so did almost everyone else. We missed out on Smith and Cronk but then, that's what a salary cap is for. The sooner you get you're head around that, the sooner you will be able to stop paying other teams to take your dregs.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3456
    Reputation : 971
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by No Worries on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:42 pm

    Stopped reading after you missed the point.

    Broncos have the 4th amount of juniors playing in the 2016 NRL competition (but not for them)
    Tigers have the 2nd, only bettered by a team which has an entire country at their offering.

    Again you admit you missed out on some of the best players in history because of a salary cap, but have stated you prefer to spend said cap on fed not bred ?????
    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Mearcats on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:51 pm

    @No Worries wrote:Stopped reading after you missed the point.

    Broncos have the 4th amount of juniors playing in the 2016 NRL competition (but not for them)
    Tigers have the 2nd, only bettered by a team which has an entire country at their offering.

    Again you admit you missed out on some of the best players in history because of a salary cap, but have stated you prefer to spend said cap on fed not bred ?????

    Not sure where you're getting the fed and bred bizzo from mate? And speaking of missed points, you're negating the fact that the quantity of your juniors means nothing. It quality mate, quality. That's what people are looking for.

    Look, you can construe my argument any way you like to make it fit your agenda mate but what's the point, really?

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: 2016 Brisbane Broncos Resurrection Thread

    Post by Guest on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:56 pm


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:44 am