NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

State of Origin Game 2

Archer
    Archer

State of Origin Game 2 - Page 14 Empty Re: State of Origin Game 2

Post by Archer Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:23 am

leaguegod wrote:

obviously QLD dominated possession last night too. their better kicking game, less errors and less penalties is always gonna result in more numbers for their props (especially when taking into account also more kick off, drop outs which are often boosting number with easy yards etc)

but they did win the battle all night, papali & mcguire were in particular easily better then anything we offered

I kind of thought it might be a possession thing but once again according to NRL.com it was QLD 53% possession to NSW 47%. That's about as even as you're going to get it most games.The difference in tackle counts may have something to do with tactics, perhaps QLD deliberately looked to work over the NSW props? I don't know, only got to catch the second half so I can't comment too much on it.

Edit: Also i was absolutely chuffed with Papa's performance. He's matured so well this season and I think this origin series has been proof of that. Plays a completely different role for us weekly out on the edge and then he comes into origin and puts up those stats in 30min. Lovely.
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:26 am

Im on Team Ice regarding Jennings. Id rather have somebody there whose actually having a crack and trying to win then someone like Woods who goes missing. I can't remember him doing anything in this whole series. Between the Gagai long range try and the in-goal knockon, thats 2 things that but for a fingernail either way could have been play of the game.

Now, Im a big fan of putting the whistle away in origin and letting the game play. But Walker should have been sent off for being an absolute pest. Gave away 3 stupid penalties within a minute and a 4th not long after. And his entire contribution in the first game was a stupid penalty. Im not sure what he brings to the team but it looked to be piggy back penalties when NSW almost looked like getting momentum. Keep picking him though.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:28 am

Milchcow wrote:
    Speaking of Euros Welshy,  keep an eye out for Mummy and Daddy Milchcow who will be at the Round of 16 game against Northern Ireland
    They from Narnia then lad? Or just holiday img? Going to be an awesome game, 2 of the best sets of supporters at the euros, the atmosphere will be immense in Paris on Saturday! Big game from Bale and I think we walk it, wanted Albania or NI so got the second part of that wish
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:35 am

Archer wrote:The stats (using NRL.com figures) certainly make interesting reading from the game.
    Take the props for both teams:

Name, Runs(M), Tackles
    NSW:
    Aaron Woods, 13 (116m), 29
    James Tamou, 4 (34m), 18
    David Klemmer, 7 (64m), 17
    Andrew Fifita, 8 (48m), 26

QLD:
    Matthew Scott, 10 (86m), 17
    Josh McGuire, 13 (117m), 16
    Jacob Lillyman, 11 (93m), 17
    Josh Papalii, 12 (137m), 14

To be fair, both teams give the players slightly different minutes (QLD played both starting props ~40min and bench props ~30min, NSW played Woods for ~50min and the others for ~30).

However, that to me reads as QLD getting plenty out of their engine room with the bench maintaining the momentum, which you can't say the same for NSW.

Take out kick returns from those numbers...

Woods - 11 runs for 87m
    Tamou - 3 for 20m
    Klemmer - 7 for 64m
    Fifita - 7 for 39m
    Gallen - 11 for 89m

McGuire - 10 runs for 80m
    Scott - 8 for 69m
    Lilyman - 9 for 72m
    Papalii - 12 for 137m
    Parker - 15 for 136m

Tamou and Fifita in particular, those are terrible numbers.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:38 am

ryno_ wrote:

Woods - 11 runs for 87m
    Tamou - 3 for 20m
    Klemmer - 7 for 64m
    Fifita - 7 for 39m
    Gallen - 11 for 89m

Scott - 8 for 69m
    Lilyman - 9 for 72m
    Papalii - 12 for 137m
    Parker - 15 for 136m

i think those numbers are a better refelction on the performance, in particular how dominant papali was

11.4 per hit up with no kick offs is amazing at origin level
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:42 am

ryno_ wrote:

Woods - 11 runs for 87m
    Tamou - 3 for 20m
    Klemmer - 7 for 64m
    Fifita - 7 for 39m
    Gallen - 11 for 89m

Scott - 8 for 69m
    Lilyman - 9 for 72m
    Papalii - 12 for 137m
    Parker - 15 for 136m

Erm I would have but I couldn't see that breakdown with the NRL numbers and couldn't be fucked going to another site as I was already doing stuff on the NRL one. I think both sets of numbers kind of tell the same story though. Though as Leagegod said that does make Papa's effort look even better. Not bad for a 2nd rower playing prop.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:43 am

re jennings, also on team ice re no dropping him

but i was more worried about his D then the goal line finger touch (can't blame him to much for that), he was racing up so early sometimes, even after the gagai 3rd try there was a time where he was basically behind the QLD attack, someone shut it down from the inside but it could have been 4 for gagai

as i said back a page, i still think he is our best centre, i'd still pick him but he did have a terrible game

he is unfairly getting grouped with gal, farah and bird atm, jennings still has plenty to offer
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:47 am

Its not as though NSW lack in terms of options for the forwards either TBH. You have guys like James and Paulo having big years, with Friz, Carty and Graham already being mentioned plenty previously. I'm biased but I think even Boyd and Vaughan would go well there. I personally think it should be somewhere NSW don't allow slackers.

You can have a bad game (its happened to the QLD pack) but if you don't atone for it next opportunity or if it seems to be a trend, sorry there are plenty of others lined up to take the shot.
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:48 am

Archer wrote:
    Erm I would have but I couldn't see that breakdown with the NRL numbers and couldn't be fucked going to another site as I was already doing stuff on the NRL one. I think both sets of numbers kind of tell the same story though. Though as Leagegod said that does make Papa's effort look even better. Not bad for a 2nd rower playing prop.

i think it shows klemmer wasn't as bad as you were kind of making out, got dropped by thaiday for no gain on the half time bell but his other hit ups were all quality, him only getting 28 minutes is a bit ridiculous imo

i'm still undecided whether Fifita suits origin footy or whether his unique style only works in club footy(more space, he often runs sideways and uses agility to get in between defenders) , i think NSW need to use game 3 to try and find out by starting him

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:56 am

SI wrote:
    Was the context of Bren's comment in relation to a straight out avatar bet with No Worries or something?

This. I still fail to see where I did or said anything that was over the top? I'm waiting upon an explanation as Welshy called me out on an origin bet that he thought he had won after game 1 and NOBODY batted an eyelid.
    Archer
    Archer

Post by Archer Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:59 am

leaguegod wrote:

i think it shows klemmer wasn't as bad as you were kind of making out, got dropped by thaiday for no gain on the half time bell but his other hit ups were all quality, him only getting 28 minutes is a bit ridiculous imo

i'm still undecided whether Fifita suits origin footy or whether his unique style only works in club footy(more space, he often runs sideways and uses agility to get in between defenders) , i think NSW need to use game 3 to try and find out by starting him
    Maybe, don't rule out the difference in tackles made between the two though. Also as a side note, meters from kick returns should still count for something IMO. Yes you get freebies before you reach the line but having someone charge back full steam and continue to make meters as they hit the line is obviously better for the the team than the guy who jogs back and gets hammered. Not saying that happened this game, just saying why I don't always agree with removing those meters from a player when doing analysis.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:59 am

If my celebrations are over the top and come across as not being humble then tough luck! Harden up! Did you see the QLD players taunting the NSW players at the final siren?

State of Origin Game 2 - Page 14 Tumblr_miazecVM8q1r3ifxzo1_500
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:14 am

Welshy wrote:
    They from Narnia then lad? Or just holiday img? Going to be an awesome game, 2 of the best sets of supporters at the euros, the atmosphere will be immense in Paris on Saturday! Big game from Bale and I think we walk it, wanted Albania or NI so got the second part of that wish

Parents are English,. Live in Australia but go back every year. Dad also loves his football tournaments.
    Been to the last 5 World Cups, and I think 3 of the last 4 Euros.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:22 am

Woods seems to have had everything coached out of him.
    It's happened at club level too, but nary an offload in sight.
    Sad to see, he is capable of more.

Tigers did start throwing a few offloads last start against souths, and scored off the back of a Woods offload. So I'm hoping it's something be can bring back, even if it's too late for NSW this year
    ryno_
    ryno_

Post by ryno_ Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:50 am

Archer wrote:
    Maybe, don't rule out the difference in tackles made between the two though. Also as a side note, meters from kick returns should still count for something IMO. Yes you get freebies before you reach the line but having someone charge back full steam and continue to make meters as they hit the line is obviously better for the the team than the guy who jogs back and gets hammered. Not saying that happened this game, just saying why I don't always agree with removing those meters from a player when doing analysis.

I get what you're saying - but it makes sense to remove them because it puts all props on a level playing field to compare against. If 1 guy gets 3 kick returns and another gets 0, its unfair to compare metres/run. All hitups are created equal, its best to compare them.

Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:55 am

ryno_ wrote:

I get what you're saying - but it makes sense to remove them because it puts all props on a level playing field to compare against. If 1 guy gets 3 kick returns and another gets 0, its unfair to compare metres/run. All hitups are created equal, its best to compare them.

All hitups aren't equal. Depends heaps on how good the preceding hitup and play the ball were.

It's like the stat that the year souths won, since ridiculous percentage of they tries were scored on the back of a Gurrgess PTB, he gave an advantage to anyone running after him.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:55 am

State of Origin Game 2 - Page 14 Clj4fl9UoAAuZPE
    leaguegod

Post by leaguegod Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:56 am

ryno_ wrote:

this, i don't remember which QLDers bought it back but one NSW drop out went 60 on the fly, it was bought back to the 35, wasn't even touched till the 40, its 20-25 cheap meter stat wise

i remember there being a game a few years ago where Gallens per hit up numbers went from like 11+ to just under 8 when you take kick offs out (he has probably had a few games with similar outcomes), they do skew stats a bit and as i said really highlights how good papali was when you take them out

i wish NRL provided a yards after contact stat, i reckon daniel tupou would be in the negatives this year lol

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Surprised there has been no talk whatsoever of the NSW under 18's who beat QLD 26-0. An amazing feat to keep QLD to nothing on their home turf.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:13 pm

leaguegod wrote:

i wish NRL provided a yards after contact stat, i reckon daniel tupou would be in the negatives this year lol

I can almost guarantee that that stat is recorded, along with a host of other stuff that is only provided to the paying customer (ie the clubs)

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 pm