NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

Game of Thrones thread (contains spoilers)

Milchcow
    Milchcow

Game of Thrones thread (contains spoilers) Empty Game of Thrones thread (contains spoilers)

Post by Milchcow Wed 25 May 2016 - 14:20

May as well start  a thread.

Just as a general notice for this thread. In general there should be no need to use spoiler tags.

If you have not read all the books and/or are not up-to-date on the TV Show, then keep reading at your own risk.

If you are talking about future show/book action then put some tags around it.

Spoiler tags can be put in like this (remove the spaces)

[ spoiler ]   [ /spoiler ]

example
    End of season prediction:
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Game of Thrones thread (contains spoilers) Empty Re: Game of Thrones thread (contains spoilers)

Post by Milchcow Wed 25 May 2016 - 14:21

My thoughts on episode 5

There was a few things in the most recent episode that I wasn't a big fan of.

First off, the whole tunnel chase scene just reminded me of crappy action movies.
    I don't think it fit in well with the tone of the show.

Having swarms of zombies/monsters crawling all over the walls after the heroes just seems like an unnecessary trope to me.
    Certainly giving the children of the forest magical fire grenades didn't seem necessary.

Also Hodor's sacrifice was pretty meaningless, other than making everyone excited about his name origin and showing off Bran's powers.

But now that Bran has the mark on his arm, the white Walkers are totally cool with him escaping.
    Once he gets south and crosses the wall, looks like its go time for their southern invasion.
    Why would they kill him and waste that.

Also - did I miss it or was there any explanation as to why they have turned against their creators?

The wights and the tree people seemed all to happy to go straight to killing each other, which seemed strange after in the same episode explaining that one of them had created the other.

Finally - Sansa is an idiot.
    Just 6 seconds after telling littlefinger that she doesn't trust him at all, she believes some bullcrap story she gives her about her uncle.
    And then lies to Jon about it, so she knows its likely to be full of crap.

Anyway - now that we have passed the books Monday night is one of my most eagerly anticipated nights of the week.
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Game of Thrones thread (contains spoilers) Empty Re: Game of Thrones thread (contains spoilers)

Post by Revraiser Wed 25 May 2016 - 17:00

You have some queries and questions i alsos had at the end of the episode.
    Ridiculous for sansa to pass on a story her uncle told her and loe about it at such an important time. Didnt make sense.
    I was also thinking exactly the same about the magic bombs and tunnel chase.
    Why were the tree people attacking those they created, and more on that - how did they create them. All they showed was a stone going into the chest of a random.man. who and why ?

I dont 100% see why Bran is essential to the white walkers, why cant they enter without his mark ?
    And whay is his ability good for them anyway ?

Not convinced on the escape either,once they poumd through the door they just need to run straight ahead and they are found.

Loving it but also becoming a little lost.

Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Wed 25 May 2016 - 17:08

Revraiser wrote:

I dont 100% see why Bran is essential to the white walkers, why cant they enter without his mark ?
    And whay is his ability good for them anyway ?

Not convinced on the escape either,once they poumd through the door they just need to run straight ahead and they are found.

Loving it but also becoming a little lost.

Having the Night's King touch Bran allowed him to break the magic keeping him out of the tree people's home to get to Bran.
    Why he would suddenly want to kill the tree people has not been answered, and I hope it comes in later episodes

I think its a reasonable assumption, that whatever allows that would also allow him to break the magic of the wall and go south for general massacre of people.

I think (hope) that Bran and Meera will be saved by Benjen Stark/Coldhands. Something has to happen, because at the moment it looks like they have about a 1-200m head start, travelling through snow, with Bran having no use of his legs.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Thu 26 May 2016 - 10:15

Milchcow wrote:

Having the Night's King touch Bran allowed him to break the magic keeping him out of the tree people's home to get to Bran.
    Why he would suddenly want to kill the tree people has not been answered, and I hope it comes in later episodes

I think its a reasonable assumption, that whatever allows that would also allow him to break the magic of the wall and go south for general massacre of people.

I think (hope) that Bran and Meera will be saved by Benjen Stark/Coldhands. Something has to happen, because at the moment it looks like they have about a 1-200m head start, travelling through snow, with Bran having no use of his legs.
    I see it going the same way. I'm hoping some of the rubbish that is creeping in is the screen writers taking poetic licence and not the way the books will go(if we ever get them).
    Brew-Crew

Post by Brew-Crew Thu 26 May 2016 - 11:14

I just hope they don't overdo the whole "Bran being able to effect the past" narrative. Kind of cheapens the actions of everyone if it turns out that Bran can have an impact on it. Having said that...

Prediction:
    Spoiler:
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu 26 May 2016 - 12:02

I think Bran's ability to effect past events is limited.

I think the Hodor thing was special because Hodor was there both in the present and the past. not sure that type of situation will turn up again.

There has certainly been a tonne of internet speculation of Bran going back in time to be responsible for basically every event in Westeros's past though.
    He's going to buld the wall, build winterfell, cause the death of Aerys, bring down the wall, and probably do something around Tower of Joy as well (would be a mega plot twist if he was Jon's father)
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri 27 May 2016 - 6:30

Mmmm food for thought cheers gents

Do you think the red headed wildling will have his way with Brienne?
    RandomSil
    RandomSil

Post by RandomSil Sun 29 May 2016 - 21:27

Milchcow wrote:
    I think Bran's ability to effect past events is limited.

I think the Hodor thing was special because Hodor was there both in the present and the past. not sure that type of situation will turn up again.

There has certainly been a tonne of internet speculation of Bran going back in time to be responsible for basically every event in Westeros's past though.
    He's going to buld the wall, build winterfell, cause the death of Aerys, bring down the wall, and probably do something around Tower of Joy as well (would be a mega plot twist if he was Jon's father)

I agree entirely with this point, it feels like Bran's ability is irrelevant at the moment. Anything that has happened in the past he doesn't necessarily change, he can just end up being the reason it happens. It can explain some things or shed more light on some things. But ultimately it seems irrelevant at this point for mine. Plus I don't like Bran that much as it is... I would love to see Bran develop his ability so he can do it in the present. Thus influencing the here and now. 

Also..

Game of Thrones thread (contains spoilers) DW4HkbC
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Tue 14 Jun 2016 - 17:14

Like a lot of the internet I was a bit disappointed with this week's episode.

Arya's plot just got silly.

The actual end game of Arya putting out the candle was pretty cool but the whole lead up to it was just rubbish.

The Waif's entire character was spoiled for me.
    Turns out she is just a terrible assassin who can't even mortally wound someone with 2 stab wounds to the gut.
    Then she completely unnecessarily turns into a terminator, and just runs through streets in broad daylight brandishing a knife. None of the subtlety and skills we'd been led to believe someone in her position should have.

Also as a trained faceless man, she'd presumably gone through some sort of blind fighting in the past as part of her training. But it seems whatever she remembers of it isn't enough to beat a seriously injured girl who until this point had never even been able to land a single blow when fighting blind (I guess we are forced to assume Arya was playing the long con in those scenes and deliberately getting her arse kicked)

Mostly I was just pissed off about how similar the chase scenes was to the terminator. Combined with the zombie army crawling through the caves a couple episodes ago there's just a few too many scenes too reminiscent of modern day action movies for my liking.

Also, its a couple weeks too late. But at the end of Hold the Door,  Hodor's sacrifice and appeared to have gained Bran no more than a few hundred metres, yet at the beginning of the next episode they were (relatively) alone in a forest. What happened to the wights after they finally broke the door down? Did they have a cup of tea before continuing.

Still looking forward to the next 2 episodes though despite my complaints here
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Wed 15 Jun 2016 - 7:36

Agree again Milch. The chase seen and its terminator like feel. It was like she was a machine.
    Only thing i can put forward for the Waif being different is that she is finally becoming a little flustered, with Arya surviving and not being killed.
    Must confess im getting more and more confused, love the show but some things are drawn out and i totally forget who is on whose side.
    Who is attacking in the ships this epsiode?
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Wed 15 Jun 2016 - 7:43

Revraiser wrote:Agree again Milch. The chase seen and its terminator like feel. It was like she was a machine.
    Only thing i can put forward for the Waif being different is that she is finally becoming a little flustered, with Arya surviving and not being killed.
    Must confess im getting more and more confused, love the show but some things are drawn out and i totally forget who is on whose side.
    Who is attacking in the ships this epsiode?

The slave masters are attacking to reclaim their slaves with DragonLady not around.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Wed 15 Jun 2016 - 7:59

The Waif wasn't a proper faceless man because she cared too much about killing Arya.
    She hated her because J favoured Arya over here.

Blinded her and she was killing for sport/emotion rather than crossing a name off the list.

Maybe this was supposed to be a lesson for Arya?

I agree the whole thing was put together poorly and Arya never should've got into the situation where anyone could stab her let alone parade herself around the city to begin with.
    Milchcow
    Milchcow

Post by Milchcow Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 10:43

filthridden wrote:The Waif wasn't a proper faceless man because she cared too much about killing Arya.
    She hated her because J favoured Arya over here.

Blinded her and she was killing for sport/emotion rather than crossing a name off the list.

Maybe this was supposed to be a lesson for Arya?

I agree the whole thing was put together poorly and Arya never should've got into the situation where anyone could stab her let alone parade herself around the city to begin with.

The best explanation I have heard is that she was deliberately making herself available, in the hope of luring the Waif back to her lair where she could do the blind fighting business, but miscalculated and got a bit too stabbed before she could get to her setup.

It was just done a bit badly. There was no need for them to give Arya a theoretically serious wound that she can apparently completely recover from with a couple days bed rest (although the Hound also underwent a similar miraculous recovery off screen, albeit with a longer time frame, and nobody bats an eyelid)

Also as far as we are aware, the Waif is the only other faceless man. They are a bit crappy as a secret society of assassins when half of them can't follow the rules.
    But she wasn't killing her for sport, there was a name 'owed', and the fact she seemingly has some grudge against Arya was just a bonus for her
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 7:14

Mmmmm... cheers guys.

Maybe Hound and Briane will get married also !

filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 7:59

Milchcow wrote:

Also as far as we are aware, the Waif is the only other faceless man. They are a bit crappy as a secret society of assassins when half of them can't follow the rules.
    But she wasn't killing her for sport, there was a name 'owed', and the fact she seemingly has some grudge against Arya was just a bonus for her

Yeah OK maybe not for sport but she was going out of her way to get her enjoyment out of it/tease Arya/make her suffer + huge public display. Not really what the whole idea of the faceless men is.
    Beast From The Big East
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East Fri 17 Jun 2016 - 9:58

filthridden wrote:

Yeah OK maybe not for sport but she was going out of her way to get her enjoyment out of it/tease Arya/make her suffer + huge public display. Not really what the whole idea of the faceless men is.

Which to me is a fair bit about what the show/books have tried to put as a theme throughout. Rather than do the task as instructed (do your duty), the waif went out of her way to put her personal feelings into it and to make it a whole big grand thing. This cost her in the end.

Multiple characters have died from this so far in the series when they put their personal agendas ahead of what they are meant to do, Renly, Robb, technically Jon
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Mon 27 Jun 2016 - 17:49

Probably safer to waste until tomorrow to talk about today's episode?
    Revraiser
    Revraiser
    Fanatic

Post by Revraiser Mon 27 Jun 2016 - 22:33

How many seasons booked in for GOT ?

Whatw Arya going to do at Riverrun.. get them all ?
    ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Tue 28 Jun 2016 - 8:09

Revraiser wrote:How many seasons booked in for GOT ?

Whatw Arya going to do at Riverrun.. get them all ?

Actors are contracted until season 8.

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024 - 15:47