NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    Round 8 Match Thread

    Share

    Dip

    Posts : 1337
    Reputation : 218
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Dip on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:19 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Penalty try??.....

    On a side note and something that was overlooked primarily because the commentators started batting off over the bloke, was Lachlan Coote's try saver on Danny Wicks.

    Now this is where the rules are shit because technically it was a deadset shoulder charge and realistically by the letter of the law, should have been a penalty try.


    i can't remember the incident to which you refer, but you could also include Oates getting tackled high by Aaron Gray when he scored in the corner as an 8 point try as well. Sure it would have been a soft penalty, but anyone who gets tackled around the head gets penalised, so you'd think by the letter of the law that should have been as well.
    avatar
    ryno_

    Posts : 1669
    Reputation : 315
    Join date : 2015-09-27
    Age : 28

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by ryno_ on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:32 pm

    @leaguegod wrote:



    agree with all of that


    i don't think players being video refs in always gonna be a good thing but when it comes to determining whether offenses should be penalized, i do think Patten is letting more go then Sutton (Sutton did the chooks game, Patten the storm game for example)

    Maybe they should have an ex-player running the bunker in general play and once the ref actually calls for it the ref in the bunker takes over. Keep the muppet whose never played out of stopping play and take the reins for decision making away from the idiot whose spent a career running into other men.

    leaguegod

    Posts : 940
    Reputation : 93
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by leaguegod on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:42 pm

    depends on when you think "the act of scoring" begins

    generally its only been treated as being an 8 point try when the ball is about to be planted, i would say that nrl would deem to contact from gray to be before the act of scoring (i don't think i'd agree tho)

    leaguegod

    Posts : 940
    Reputation : 93
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by leaguegod on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:43 pm

    @ryno_ wrote:

    Maybe they should have an ex-player running the bunker in general play and once the ref actually calls for it the ref in the bunker takes over. Keep the muppet whose never played out of stopping play and take the reins for decision making away from the idiot whose spent a career running into other men.
    sounds good to me
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2514
    Reputation : 245
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Pieman on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:47 pm

    @SI wrote:

    Tigers did it in 2005 v Cowboys (I think).  Might go back and see if I find it but from memory the kick off hit the cross bar.  Although not sure if it was in that play or the next play.

    Uate scored one against the roosters a couple of years ago

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Guest on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:48 pm

    Put Joey Johns in the bunker. You might laugh but the bloke is generally spot on in his calls.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2514
    Reputation : 245
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Pieman on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:54 pm

    @Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Yeah I agree but was just shit-stirring old mate Pieman.

    It's certainly not in the rule books but I'd be interested to see if this was an interpretation employed by the NRL.
    It probably should be (even though it is completely hypocritical)....but only because of the stupid rule they introduced in the first place.

    Well it didnt work.
    Was not a case for a penalty try coz Gordon was there anyway - the sin bin was used appropriately for it tho.
    The shoulder charges should be penalty tries.
    A shoulder charge is a penalty, if someone does one to stop a try, then it should be a penalty try. Its simple.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 4068
    Reputation : 1356
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by No Worries on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:09 pm

    @ryno_ wrote:

    Maybe they should have an ex-player running the bunker in general play and once the ref actually calls for it the ref in the bunker takes over. Keep the muppet whose never played out of stopping play and take the reins for decision making away from the idiot whose spent a career running into other men.
    Robbo was right when he said the bunker aren't the match review committee. There's 4 blokes on the field who can make the call. If they don't it's not the bunkers job, it's the MRC's.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2514
    Reputation : 245
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Pieman on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:10 pm

    Your Name wrote:
    Robbo was right when he said the bunker aren't the match review committee. There's 4 blokes on the field who can make the call. If they don't it's not the bunkers job, it's the MRC's.

    Why the fuck do refs put stuff on report anyway?
    The MRC goes through every match, why do the refs have to do it too?



    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 4068
    Reputation : 1356
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by No Worries on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:19 pm

    Bren wrote:
    Pretty sure I ranked Melbourne to come second this year before the season started. (Where is that thread again?).

    Broncos always seem to get Storm after they have been on a small run and are high in confidence..

    You did. I have everyone's tables spreadsheeted.

    Combining everyone's predictions produced a table that looked like this:

    Broncos
    Cowboys
    Storm
    Sharks
    Warriors
    Sea Eagles
    Raiders
    Rabbitohs
    Bulldogs
    Roosters
    Eels
    Panthers
    Dragons
    Tigers
    Titans
    Knights
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5259
    Reputation : 1692
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 30
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Honeysett on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:22 pm

    @Pieman wrote:

    Why the fuck do refs put stuff on report anyway?
    The MRC goes through every match, why do the refs have to do it too?




    So that if it's an illegal shot the opposition team gets a free interchange. If a player has to go off to fix a blood nose because of a high shot they shouldn't have a player down of it.

    Dip

    Posts : 1337
    Reputation : 218
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Dip on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:31 pm

    @leaguegod wrote:depends on when you think "the act of scoring" begins

    generally its only been treated as being an 8 point try when the ball is about to be planted, i would say that nrl would deem to contact from gray to be before the act of scoring (i don't think i'd agree tho)

    Yeah you could be right. I'm not sure what the correct interpretation is and from what I can remember in the past it has been someone coming in late or smacking them across the nose while trying to knock the ball out immediately before grounding. Considering Gray still had him around the neck when the ball was grounded I'd say it was more a case of them either thinking the contact was minor, or just not really considering it at all (which I would say is most likely). Perhaps Oates should have stayed down and held his neck - the try was to go 10 points up, so the extra 2 points to go to 12 or 14 is actually fairly significant.

    leaguegod

    Posts : 940
    Reputation : 93
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by leaguegod on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:35 pm

    Your Name wrote:

    You did. I have everyone's tables spreadsheeted.  

    Combining everyone's predictions produced a table that looked like this:

    Broncos
    Cowboys
    Storm
    Sharks
    Warriors
    Sea Eagles
    Raiders
    Rabbitohs
    Bulldogs
    Roosters
    Eels
    Panthers
    Dragons
    Tigers
    Titans
    Knights

    they got us all again
    avatar
    Milchcow
    Moderator

    Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017
    Posts : 7136
    Reputation : 2373
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Milchcow on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:48 pm

    Your Name wrote:
    Robbo was right when he said the bunker aren't the match review committee. There's 4 blokes on the field who can make the call. If they don't it's not the bunkers job, it's the MRC's.

    This is true, but for as long as it is the case, players are giving up an advantage if they don't stay down every time they think there is a high shot.

    The current rules effectively give teams a "captain's challenge" for video review, with no consequences for incorrect/dodgy challenges. Why wouldn't you use it?

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1202
    Reputation : 292
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:57 pm

    @Pieman wrote:

    Well it didnt work.
    Was not a case for a penalty try coz Gordon was there anyway - the sin bin was used appropriately for it tho.
    The shoulder charges should be penalty tries.
    A shoulder charge is a penalty, if someone does one to stop a try, then it should be a penalty try. Its simple.

    It doesn't necessarily have to give you the shits for it to be worthwhile....

    Anyway, whilst I agree that by the letter of the law, the Coote try saver was a penalty try that got missed and thus lauded instead of penalised.....I'm glad it did and it just highlights how short sighted the NRL's shoulder charge rule is.
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 4068
    Reputation : 1356
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by No Worries on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:11 pm

    @Honeysett wrote:

    So that if it's an illegal shot the opposition team gets a free interchange. If a player has to go off to fix a blood nose because of a high shot they shouldn't have a player down of it.

    Isn't a penalty sufficient to determine it was illegal though ?
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5259
    Reputation : 1692
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 30
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Honeysett on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:18 pm

    Your Name wrote:

    Isn't a penalty sufficient to determine it was illegal though ?

    Not really no, for example Taupau nailed Bird in the head and was knocked out cold and had to go off. Sharks should be able to have a free interchange due to how bad it is.

    If it was just a high spot that slipped up off the ball and wasn't malicious there is no reason for a free interchange.

    I think the rule is fine.
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 11292
    Reputation : 2383
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by SI on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:19 pm

    @SI wrote:
    @Random wrote:That is the first try I have seen scored from a kick off, by the kicking team.

    Tigers did it in 2005 v Cowboys (I think).  Might go back and see if I find it but from memory the kick off hit the cross bar.  Although not sure if it was in that play or the next play.

    Found it, and I was right about being wrong! Richards re-start hit the upright and Skando caught it. Halatau scored off the next play though, not the kick off.

    http://z4.invisionfree.com/Wests_Tigers_Forum/ar/t7460.htm
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2514
    Reputation : 245
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by Pieman on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:56 pm

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8GBc5qoj54

    I miss the good Uate
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 11292
    Reputation : 2383
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: Round 8 Match Thread

    Post by SI on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:30 pm

    Bren wrote:Put Joey Johns in the bunker. You might laugh but the bloke is generally spot on in his calls.

    Potential issue if he gets asked to zoom in on a line...

      Current date/time is Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:15 pm