NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

The TV Thread

ryno_

Re: The TV Thread

Post by ryno_ on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:16 pm

@filthridden wrote:For the doco fans, I actually really enjoyed that one about the dude off Gruen in Tanzania last night.
    Next week supposed to be epic as he joins the French special forces training in the amazon.

Todd Sampson does the best Australian docos. Always does fascinating topics. His "mind over matter" series on the ABC last year was really cool. Im ok with heights and even I was nervous watching him tightrope walk between skyscrapers.

His Wilosophy podcast episode is pretty interesting aswell. Its like the first or second one.
    Milchcow

Fantasy Fanatics VSDT Overall Group Winner : 2017

Post by Milchcow on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:22 pm

I'm on the Todd Sampson fan club too.
    His stuff on Gruen always worth listening to as well. Given his views/philosophy it's amazing how he ended up getting a job in advertising. Complete opposite to the stereotypical adman like Russell Howcroft

Haven't seen the latest one because Australia vs Japan was on at the same time but will try and catch it at some point.
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:37 pm

@Milchcow wrote:
    I'm on the Todd Sampson fan club too.
    His stuff on Gruen always worth listening to as well.  Given his views/philosophy it's amazing how he ended up getting a job in advertising.  Complete opposite to the stereotypical adman like Russell Howcroft

Haven't seen the latest one because  Australia vs Japan was on at the same time but will try and catch it at some point.

I take the opposite tact. Like the stock market, the ad game is a young man's game. I can imagine Sampson being that mold and growing from the experience where as Howcroft is set in his ways clinging onto the only thing he knows. That's why Sampson is such a good foil on Gruen. He knows the business but no longer holds the values.
    SI

Post by SI on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:30 pm

'The Fall' Season 3 debuted on BBC FIRST tonight Very Happy

Had the pleasure of getting into season 1 when it was first released back in 2013. Fox was playing the whole season back to back and I happened to just tune in 5 minutes into the 1st ep without ever having heard of it before. I watched the whole thing straight through from there; that's how good it was-also, Gillian Anderson didn't hurt the cause just quietly.

Second season rated better and was around the time Jamie Dornan became famous.

Have waited 2 years for Season 3 and the 1st ep tonight was tremendous Very Happy
    Revraiser

Post by Revraiser on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Faaark me walkin' dead anyone !?

This epi opener for the season was an absolite belter.

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:41 pm

@Revraiser wrote:Faaark me walkin' dead anyone !?

And..

Honeysett

Post by Honeysett on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:50 pm

@Revraiser wrote:Faaark me walkin' dead anyone !?

Spoiler:
    For someone who has a huge rager for the comics it was SO good to see they're taking Negan seriously. I understand they can't swear every second word like he does but I thought they handled it really well.

Rick's crew are in for a real rough time if that is the start of things.

filthridden

Post by filthridden on Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Sir Anthony Hopkins killed it in his scene in Westworld. Some of the best TV I've seen outside of Game of Thrones in some time. Loving it. He is SO GOOD!
    SI

Post by SI on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:12 pm

@filthridden wrote:Sir Anthony Hopkins killed it in his scene in Westworld. Some of the best TV I've seen outside of Game of Thrones in some time. Loving it. He is SO GOOD!
    Haven't watched yesterday's yet, watched TWD instead.  I hope they can keep the momentum up with WestWorld.
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:16 pm

@filthridden wrote:Sir Anthony Hopkins killed it in his scene in Westworld. Some of the best TV I've seen outside of Game of Thrones in some time. Loving it. He is SO GOOD!

Haven't started watching this yet. Thinking of doing a series run once it's finished. But that's a big call. Best scene in television in recent memory is this

Random

Post by Random on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:36 am

Havent seen Westworld but I definitely know I want to see it.

Watching Animal Kingdom at the moment and it is really good so far, and based off the Aussie Movie.

Finished Mad Men recently, I feel the ending was abrupt, which IIRC was because the main actor went to rehab. Would love a movie which is rumoured to tie everything up neatly.

Started the show Designated Survivor on netflix (weekly release) is really well done and I am enjoying that as well.

Regarding the above scene. That is a really a good scene it just sucks the show itself was disappointing.
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:57 am

I watched Prison break over the last few months, first time I've seen it. Absolutely loved it, despite it being really corny sometimes I think that was part of it's charm.
    Revraiser

Post by Revraiser on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:28 pm

@Honeysett wrote:

Spoiler:
    For someone who has a huge rager for the comics it was SO good to see they're taking Negan seriously. I understand they can't swear every second word like he does but I thought they handled it really well.

Rick's crew are in for a real rough time if that is the start of things.

I havent seen the comics at all, but aside from the gore factor, the whole Negan character is leaving a huge impression in just 2 episodes. Impressive. Good script for him already.
    Revraiser

Post by Revraiser on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:30 pm

This show has me gripped, finding it fascinating and hanging off every character. Bernard and hopkins r awesome.
    Revraiser

Post by Revraiser on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:33 pm

@Honeysett wrote:I watched Prison break over the last few months, first time I've seen it. Absolutely loved it, despite it being really corny sometimes I think that was part of it's charm.

A triple post required in the lunch break courtesy of some top notch telly. I loved prison break, but was fully conscious that it was a little b-grade/corny at times. Didnt deter me watching the lot. Loved the far fetch escapes and high jinx from the tattooed wentworth.
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:38 pm

@Revraiser wrote:

I havent seen the comics at all, but aside from the gore factor, the whole Negan character is leaving a huge impression in just 2 episodes. Impressive. Good script for him already.

Spoiler:
    The death in the comics for Glenn was exactly the same as the show but fuck it was such a shock, you just did not know what was going to happen at all. It was such a shock moment.

This story arc is the best thing I have ever read in comics/graphic novels.

Milchcow

Post by Milchcow on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:03 pm

Walking Dead:

Negan in the comics says 'Fuck' a whole lot more, but that scene was pretty much exactly what happened in the comics except in comics Glenn's was only death by Lucille) But I love that the crazy smile he keeps doing in the show.

I don't think they'll be follow the comic story line too closely in the TV show, but there's plenty of good stuff to come out with it.
    They king of weakend the TV version of the Governor and robbed him of his most violent acts, but look slike they'll be keeping Negan as a badass.

IMO comics went a bit downhill after the fight with Negan, The whole whisperer thing isn't didn't really doing it for me. Wonder what show will do once Negan is done with and will they stretch it over 2 seasons, or get it all in 1)

Milchcow

Post by Milchcow on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:05 pm

On Todd Sampson, I am enjoying his shows but the move to channel 10 has been a poor one.

They are stretching a 30 minute show out over an hour, and its starting to annoy me.
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:30 pm

@Milchcow wrote:
    Walking Dead:

Negan in the comics says 'Fuck' a whole lot more, but that scene was pretty much exactly what happened in the comics except in comics Glenn's was only death by Lucille) But I love that the crazy smile he keeps doing in the show.

I don't think they'll be follow the comic story line too closely in the TV show, but there's plenty of good stuff to come out with it.
    They king of weakend the TV version of the Governor and robbed him of his most violent acts, but look slike they'll be keeping Negan as a badass.

IMO comics went a bit downhill after the fight with Negan, The whole whisperer thing isn't didn't really doing it for me. Wonder what show will do once Negan is done with and will they stretch it over 2 seasons, or get it all in 1)

Spoiler:
    It's got to be a two season thing, they will need to build up the Kingdom as well and I don't think you could kill off Negan that quickly. I'm wondering on the role that Shiva will have. Kind of hard to have a CGI Tiger in there all the time but I'm looking forward to how cool that is going to be.

Also the axe scene at the start had me thinking they were going to follow through on what happened to Rick.

My favourite Governor moment was when Michonne nails his johnson to the floor and he has to rip it off to get away from his daughter.

Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:36 pm

@Milchcow wrote:
    On Todd Sampson, I am enjoying his shows but the move to channel 10 has been a poor one.

They are stretching a 30 minute show out over an hour, and its starting to annoy me.

I have quite enjoyed the series (particularly the French foreign legion one last week) and used to be a massive fan of Todd (still am when he is on Gruen) - but for me his starting to come off as a bit of an 'out there' knob.

Maybe it's tall poppy syndrome (the more popular he gets) or maybe there's heaps of blokes like that who tend to shit me on the Goldy and in Northern NSW.

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:33 pm