NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2019 NIB Knights

Pieman
    Pieman

2019 NIB Knights  - Page 44 Empty Re: 2019 NIB Knights

Post by Pieman Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Newie played absolutely dreadfully in the second half, but to lose on a pass that was 4m forward at the end.... fuck me dead....
    The reffing this season has just become a farce.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:15 pm

Yeah, not subtle.

It's a long process. I remember talking about the Knights re-build at the end of last season, and I don't think anyone was thinking they'd be a threat for even the top 12 this year......

Shades of promise for next year though. Probably a year earlier than I would have thought.

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:04 pm

dasherhalo wrote:Yeah, not subtle.

It's a long process. I remember talking about the Knights re-build at the end of last season, and I don't think anyone was thinking they'd be a threat for even the top 12 this year......

Shades of promise for next year though. Probably a year earlier than I would have thought.

yeah you are prob right mate. I reckon we would be pushing for the bottom half of the 8 if pearce hasnt been out for most of the season. Then again, who knows. Ponga has surprised everyone with how good he has been.
    We have a couple of good signings next year, and if the majority stay healthy, I reckon missing the 8 would be a massive failure of a season for newie.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:07 am

Its a real shame we are losing Meaney for next year, he has shown a lot in his limited time in first grade.

They are looking at him at 1 this week with ponga at 6.
    They could have kept that for next year with watson coming from the bench, or even try watson at centre or even wing.

Bulldogs got a good one there I reckon. Cogger is still only young but hasnt really played well with his chances this year.
    Ice

Post by Ice Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:46 pm

So Ponga has just declared his desire, if he were to return to Union, to represent the All Blacks!!

Now, I know there are precedents there with the likes of Brad Thorn and others, but surely, given the criteria for eligibility has been changes since the likes of he, and Carrol and a few others, this should see him ineligible for The Kangaroos and Qld.

I can't cop a guy swearing allegiance to one country in one sport and thinking it's ok to play for a different country in another sport.

Thoughts?
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Ice wrote:So Ponga has just declared his desire, if he were to return to Union, to represent the All Blacks!!

Now, I know there are precedents there with the likes of Brad Thorn and others, but surely, given the criteria for eligibility has been changes since the likes of he, and Carrol and a few others, this should see him ineligible for The Kangaroos and Qld.

I can't cop a guy swearing allegiance to one country in one sport and thinking it's ok to play for a different country in another sport.

Thoughts?
    My thought is that you're a blues fan grasping at straws, kudos to you. It's a total non issue until if and when it happens but it shows a lack of character imo. Sounds like he just wants to play for a winning team so sucked in for missing out on Queenslands glory years.
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:30 am

I don't think it's a bad thing to set yourself goals and be the best you possibly can be. To test yourself against the best in multiple disciplines. All kiwi kids growing up want to be all blacks. The games are similar and union is the dominant game over there. Not sure that it shows lack of character, more that the kid is young and needs guidance and to think before he speaks.
    Krump
    Krump

Post by Krump Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:55 am

No Worries wrote:I don't think it's a bad thing to set yourself goals and be the best you possibly can be. To test yourself against the best in multiple disciplines.  All kiwi kids growing up want to be all blacks. The games are similar and union is the dominant game over there. Not sure that it shows lack of character, more that the kid is young and needs guidance and to think before he speaks.
    How a person can not know which country they want to represent baffles me.
    Ice

Post by Ice Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:02 am

Why would I be grasping at straws? Why is me being a blues fan relevant. I'm an Australian first and foremost and have the exact same position with the likes of Fifita and any other player that is choosing a different country.

I've got no issue with him wanting to be an All Black, but in my view it should rule you ineligible for Aus and Origin. Are you a Queenslander/Aussie or a Kiwi? Pretty simple really.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Ice wrote:Why would I be grasping at straws? Why is me being a blues fan relevant. I'm an Australian first and foremost and have the exact same position with the likes of Fifita and any other player that is choosing a different country.  

I've got no issue with him wanting to be an All Black, but in my view it should rule you ineligible for Aus and Origin.  Are you a Queenslander/Aussie or a Kiwi? Pretty simple really.

It's a foreign concept to me personally Ice but I imagine more and more people would be aligned to both of their parents countries/cultures.

I'm not completely against it provided it is in different sports.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:28 pm

Ice wrote:So Ponga has just declared his desire, if he were to return to Union, to represent the All Blacks!!

Thoughts?

I think his comments are from a journo asking the question about the all blacks specifically and he responded in a brand-savy manner.

His comments don't mean shit until he decides to actually switch codes which may never even happen.
    filthridden
    filthridden

Post by filthridden Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Krump wrote:
    How a person can not know which country they want to represent baffles me.

a) Because money and the limited career span of professional sports people.
    I'm a dual citizen and if I was good enough at any sport, I'd want to represent NZ. If NZ was going to pay me $100k and Aus offered me $500k for the same, I'd probably represent Australia. It would be tough not to unless

b) environment - Again being someone who grew up in NZ and moved to Aus - I never played ultimate in NZ (barely knew it existed) and I am in an environment now where I see, play with and against people who represent Australia. If I ever was at an elite level in the sport, I'd want to represent Australia 1st, NZ second. In an Australian team I would most likely be playing with some friends and again, train with them. A NZ team? I haven't lived there in over 5 years, have no connection and wouldn't want to pay to fly over there and train with them.

There are probably a number of other reasons why someone could or would want to represent different countries for different reasons.
    standard-issue
    standard-issue

Post by standard-issue Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:51 pm

All this on Honeysett's birthday, poor basted.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:41 pm

I disagree with it, but can see why he would want to.
    They are close to the best team in the history of sport, who wouldnt want to be a part of it.
    Ice

Post by Ice Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 am

Iv ergot absolutely no issue with him wanting to represent the All Blacks if he is eligible and he declares it, I just am not a fan of him then turning out for Australia, but understand the dual citizenship side of the argument.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 am

if he is a dual citizen, he has every right to represent either - across different sports
    He wants to play for the best, so thats QLD recently and Aus in League, and NZ in union. I would be concerned if he didnt want to play at the most elite level.

Personally, Would love to see him run out for the Reds or Tahs, and Aus Rugby (if he was to go to union). Now that he has expressed an interest one day possibly returning to rugby, the ARU should be doing everything in their power to get him back and playing for the wallabies. I have no doubt that he could go to union tomorrow and be the best 10 in Australia, and argubly the best 15.

Last edited by Pieman on Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dip

Post by Dip Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:13 am

I'm pretty baffled with it, but since he has declared his allegiance to Australia and the Kangaroos, I have no problem with it. I think it's more of an issue if he does change codes I don't think the Kiwis should pick him since he has declared allegiance to Australia. Union seems to not worry about that so much though. Think Koribete, The Kiwi Winger who played for England, Thorne etc.

The Tonie Carroll example is completely different. He never declared allegiance to NZ. Instead he wasn't picked for Australia, which is who he had declared allegiance to, so that made him eligible to play for another country, which NZ took advantage of it. From my understanding, it was basically the minnow country rule before they changed that rule to exclude Tier 1 countries from using it. I could be wrong through.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:53 am

I dont understand why we didnt do more to keep Meaney.. he looks like he is going to be awesome.
    Surely we could have used him on the wing this year instead of Sio or play SKD at centre instead of Denniss.

MrCashman
    MrCashman

Post by MrCashman Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:57 am

Brad Thorn

Qld
    Kangaroo
    All Black
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:41 pm

I think I've underestimated how good the Ramien signing is. NRL 360 are talking him up as the next best thing which is amazing. Looking forward to seeing where he can go for us next year

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 pm