NRL Fantasy Fanatics

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NRL Fantasy Fanatics

NRL Fantasy Fanatics - A place for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Virtual Sports / Super Coach and other Fantasy Sports

2019 NIB Knights

Dip

2019 NIB Knights  - Page 36 Empty Re: 2019 NIB Knights

Post by Dip Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:28 pm

He just seems like one of those genuine good blokes everyone loves to be around, and that'll be good for the club atmosphere too. That he has 300 games of experience, still plays good in the 30-40 minutes game time he has, and probably gets the club some extra exposure with all the Beau Ryan etc Footy Show cameo's is a good thing too.

You could almost have Lillyman and Heighington as straight subbing partners in games as well. They play 40 minutes each, and one is always on the field as a prop for experience, while the young props/locks/hooker fill the three other middle defender positions. If they get 80m and 20 tackles each a game out of them, I think that'd be a good result for the Knights. The Safiti brothers, particularly Daniel (who I consider a bit better), should be looking at 120m+ and 30 tackles a game in 50 odd minutes. If they all do that then they've got a pretty good base to work from.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:39 pm

So far I don't really think the Knights have set a foot wrong with recruitment yet. We've done the best we can with what we have. A lot of young blood and a few experienced heads that'll give us some depth and teach the kids how to train to be a winner.

It'll be valuable for the Knights moving forward. I think our goal this year should be contending for the top 8, won't quite get there but should be aiming for that.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Another great signing, yep. Really happy with our recruitment, the only one I dont really like is Guerra but I will live with it.

I reckon buhrer is the def starter at hooker with Levi on the bench. There is no way Fitz doesnt start at right back row, with Guerra on the left and Barnett at 13.

A bench of Heighington, Griffin, Saifiti, Levi. Thats not bad hey.. not amazing but not bad!
    No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Honeysett wrote:So far I don't really think the Knights have set a foot wrong with recruitment yet. We've done the best we can with what we have. A lot of young blood and a few experienced heads that'll give us some depth and teach the kids how to train to be a winner.

It'll be valuable for the Knights moving forward. I think our goal this year should be contending for the top 8, won't quite get there but should be aiming for that.

Not making this a dick measuring contest cause my team's in the same boat, but hoping for some decent off season discussion that doesn't get derailed. I'm going to challenge this. With the players you have lost through retirement, drugs & released you had / still have a bucket load of cash. Fair to say more than anyone in the comp. Has having Brown as your coach hampered signings and will he's 2 year resigning continue to hamper ? While the signings have been solid for as mentioned by previous youngster development. With the glut of coaches on the market and everyone knew it was coming, could they have done better if they had have joined the coach merry go round mid season ? As for last year they couldn't have done worse. But may be signed a better coach and as a result signings ???
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 pm

No Worries wrote:

Not making this a dick measuring contest cause my team's in the same boat, but hoping for some decent off season discussion that doesn't get derailed. I'm going to challenge this. With the players you have lost through retirement, drugs & released you had / still have a bucket load of cash. Fair to say more than anyone in the comp. Has having Brown as your coach hampered signings and will he's 2 year resigning continue to hamper ? While the signings have been solid for as mentioned by previous youngster development. With the glut of coaches on the market and everyone knew it was coming, could they have done better if they had have joined the coach merry go round mid season ? As for last year they couldn't have done worse. But may be signed a better coach and as a result signings ???

Has Brown really done that bad, their squad has at times been awful under his tenure, he doesn't have the big name players like the Tiger did in Tedesco and Woods, Gagai has been outstanding and could class as a star but coupled with some injuries to their better players like Buhrer, Barnett, Hodko, Matora even guys like Kosjayson during the season I think they outplayed their squad talent

They play hard each week and its pure lack of talent and being forced to play younger less experienced guys, he can only coach with what he is given! The development of some of the youngsters like Fitzgibbon, Stone, Levi, Lamb whilst being surrounded with mediocrity should indicate he is in-fact a very decent coach, he is honest Im glad they resigned him.

could a higher profile coach have increased their buying power? I'm not so sure, minus Bellamy going there...

I think with the clubs current rebuilding status they have done very well getting the players they have done without also breaking the bank

Lilyman
    Heighington
    Ponga
    Ese'Ese
    Guerra
    SKD full year
    Moga
    Watson
    Griffin

vs

Gagai
    PMat
    Paea
    Stockwell
    Kosjayson
    Bhana
    Feeney
    etc
    etc
    Randall

I mean the only guys worth looking at that they have lost is Gagai, all incomings far outweigh the outgoings

No Worries
    No Worries

NRL FF Survivor Champion : I'm like the waterboy.

Post by No Worries Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Brown hasn't done bad with the cattle he has, and no blemish on player effort. But players sign based on the coach, surrounding cattle and $$$. Coach = cattle, cattle = more cattle. The question is could the herd be better if they spent more and got a better bull ?
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 pm

I dont think so barring a Craig Bellamy signing. By all reports, players fucking hate madge. We had bennett he ran away and along with Tinkler, left the club in the worst state humanly possible. Hasler's last few years have shown that he needs a break.. then who is left? Toovey? Henry? 

I think brown is the perfect person for the job. His down to earth, hard working approach has been an ideal match I think.

Success will bring in the better players. As soon as the club starts being a finals regular, which may take another 5 years or more, the club will regularly have super star players.

Results will tell I guess as to whether he is the right person for the job.

Its a reasonable query though.
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:49 am

The thing is, let's say we sign Michael Maguire. He signs a few better players. We're suddenly in the 8 but making up numbers instead of challenging for the premiership. He'll keep his job for a few years by getting there or thereabouts and then we'll sack him and found someone else to fill the gaps so they can keep their job and then another 10 years has past and we haven't won shit.

The best thing about Brown is his honesty. To get the job he said "look we can sign players for overs from other clubs and be in the mix or we can rebuild properly."

Id much prefer the road we're on than the road we have been previously. We're signing and putting our faith in strong youth development around the region and then some other younger guys from other clubs. Ponga/Watson as an example. Then we've grabbed what 6 or 7 players from top 4 teams, who know how to train and how to win. I'd say we're on the right track.

We lead so many games at half time this year and lost at the end. It's about experience and having a little bit more talent. I can honestly say hand on heart that this year was one of the most enjoyable years for a Knights fan to watch in recent memory. To see guys like the Saf bros, Fitzgibbon, Barnett really come into their own was amazing.
    Welshy
    Welshy

Post by Welshy Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 am

Honeysett wrote:The thing is, let's say we sign Michael Maguire. He signs a few better players. We're suddenly in the 8 but making up numbers instead of challenging for the premiership. He'll keep his job for a few years by getting there or thereabouts and then we'll sack him and found someone else to fill the gaps so they can keep their job and then another 10 years has past and we haven't won shit.

The best thing about Brown is his honesty. To get the job he said "look we can sign players for overs from other clubs and be in the mix or we can rebuild properly."

Id much prefer the road we're on than the road we have been previously. We're signing and putting our faith in strong youth development around the region and then some other younger guys from other clubs. Ponga/Watson as an example. Then we've grabbed what 6 or 7 players from top 4 teams, who know how to train and how to win. I'd say we're on the right track.

We lead so many games at half time this year and lost at the end. It's about experience and having a little bit more talent. I can honestly say hand on heart that this year was one of the most enjoyable years for a Knights fan to watch in recent memory. To see guys like the Saf bros, Fitzgibbon, Barnett really come into their own was amazing.

Don't forget Stone, it's exciting because they are long term building blocks with big potential

It's like starting a long term career mode on a game, shift the deadwood, add young talent then develop it around experience.

i like the knights direction, short and long term.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:23 am

Welshy wrote:

Don't forget Stone, it's exciting because they are long term building blocks with big potential

It's like starting a long term career mode on a game, shift the deadwood, add young talent then develop it around experience.

i like the knights direction, short and long term.
    Yeah its a great direction and philosophy.

The only issue is - the roosters, bronco's and co coming in and raiding the best players in a year or 2 when these blokes are actually genuine good first grade players, adding to their already stacked teams. I mean, yeah its part of the game - but I know that watching someone like Tedesco run around in Roosters colours next year will leave a fucking dirty taste in my mouth as entertaining as it will be.

The goal is to become a club that elite players want to play for, so that the glamour sides dont poach the best young players in the game.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Elliot moves on to another NRL club. The titans.
    Newie is going to be a bit short for depth on outside backs next year - he is a good ISP player and decent short term back up winger/fb
    Honeysett
    Honeysett

Post by Honeysett Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 am

Alex McKinnons story had a small silver lining. Not ashamed to admit I teared up reading the story about his wedding and he was able to stand to dance with his new wife. Truly remarkable.
    dasherhalo
    dasherhalo

Post by dasherhalo Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:33 am

Pieman wrote:
    Yeah its a great direction and philosophy.

The only issue is - the roosters, bronco's and co coming in and raiding the best players in a year or 2 when these blokes are actually genuine good first grade players, adding to their already stacked teams. I mean, yeah its part of the game - but I know that watching someone like Tedesco run around in Roosters colours next year will leave a fucking dirty taste in my mouth as entertaining as it will be.

This. The opposite of the Broncos (to use an example) of not being able to hold on to all our up and comers, is that the developing stars in a club in the position of the Knights are at risk of being raided after they've put a few K's on the clock.

It's not an evil thing, but losing, say, 2 young guns is going to hurt the Knights more than it would the Broncos.

That's the salary cap as it stands. Hopefully the Knights build that culture that makes players WANT to be there. The risk in raiding (recruiting) young players from other clubs is if they aren't Newcastle juniors, they won't necessarily have their heart in the club, so it's a risky game.

Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:24 pm

So, newie apparently offered lodge 1.5 over 3 years and he knocked it back to stay at brisbane for 85k. lol.

Now, newie doesnt claim to be the club that sets the standards for players but... wow. Genuinly shocked that we offered a bloke like that so much money. Ive got no doubt he is a good player, but geez. And even more shocked that he knocked back that kind of money. 100% something shonky is going on there. Happy that piece of shit didnt sign for us tho.

Newie have to spend about 2 million before june 30 next year or there is some form of penalty.
    Apparently we can front end some contracts to fix that problem - but wow.. never heard of that issue before. Crazy

Post by Guest Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 pm

Pieman wrote:So, newie apparently offered lodge 1.5 over 3 years and he knocked it back to stay at brisbane for 85k. lol.

Now, newie doesnt claim to be the club that sets the standards for players but... wow. Genuinly shocked that we offered a bloke like that so much money. Ive got no doubt he is a good player, but geez. And even more shocked that he knocked back that kind of money. 100% something shonky is going on there. Happy that piece of shit didnt sign for us tho.

Newie have to spend about 2 million before june 30 next year or there is some form of penalty.
    Apparently we can front end some contracts to fix that problem - but wow.. never heard of that issue before. Crazy

a) i'll eat every hat i've ever owned if Newy offered him that much money, though it does my heart great joy to see that the club of a supporter that decided to go on a moral crusade in the Broncos thread about him was trying to sign him.

b) there's nothing 'shonky' going on, nobody wanted a bar of him until Wayne gave him a second chance and the word out before his signing was he was thinking about giving the game away, perhaps Wayne got in his ear and asked him to rethink, repay the faith he was shown, sign on with us for a year then if you do right by the club and want to keep on playing, there's a money-pile in the shape of Thaiday freed up and waiting for you.

It's no co-incidence who ran this hit-piece, poor piece of fly-ridden dogshit got his knickers in a bunch when Wayne took a shot at his beloved drug-pushers and he's decided he needed to return serve, it's a shame the ugly, dog-faced spawn of a boil-infested anus couldn't come up with anything original.

ryno_
    ryno_

NRL FF Survivor Champion : 2018

Post by ryno_ Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 am

Pieman wrote:So, newie apparently offered lodge 1.5 over 3 years and he knocked it back to stay at brisbane for 85k. lol.

Shame they didnt get him. Broncos wouldnt have to worry about him and you could add another perpetrator of violence against women to your favourite players list. Win/win.
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 am

surmo13 wrote:

a) i'll eat every hat i've ever owned if Newy offered him that much money, though it does my heart great joy to see that the club of a supporter that decided to go on a moral crusade in the Broncos thread about him was trying to sign him.

b) there's nothing 'shonky' going on, nobody wanted a bar of him until Wayne gave him a second chance and the word out before his signing was he was thinking about giving the game away, perhaps Wayne got in his ear and asked him to rethink, repay the faith he was shown, sign on with us for a year then if you do right by the club and want to keep on playing, there's a money-pile in the shape of Thaiday freed up and waiting for you.

It's no co-incidence who ran this hit-piece, poor piece of fly-ridden dogshit got his knickers in a bunch when Wayne took a shot at his beloved drug-pushers and he's decided he needed to return serve, it's a shame the ugly, dog-faced spawn of a boil-infested anus couldn't come up with anything original.

Can only go off what is being reported, I too found it amazing. And newcastle has never been the club whose supporters carry on about being the standard for the league, so still, you got him. He threatened to kill a 9 year old child according to stlothfield, that is just amazing - and they are right, if it happened in australia there is no fucking we he would have a contract.

Lol - good point, but you would think that a guy who hasnt worked for at least 2 years would take the chunk of cash being offered, considering bennett doesnt pay props, ever and considering he owe's 2 million bucks in america. The bronco's prob took care of that for him off the books tho

And I totally agree, I fucking hate him, cant stand his voice and cant stand his face, I will never understand why they have him on the show. He is fucking terrible and fucking hideous.

Last edited by Pieman on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 am

ryno_ wrote:

Shame they didnt get him. Broncos wouldnt have to worry about him and you could add another perpetrator of violence against women to your favourite players list. Win/win.
    You are so cool making something up like that and continuing to say it
    Ur cool

You support a a bloke wholeheartedly who threatened to murder a child.
    See, I can make stuff up and be cool too
    Pieman
    Pieman

Post by Pieman Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 am

The Raiders are reported to be having cap problems, I would love for us to go after Paulo/Boyd/Papalii ..
    Papalii is so fat at the moment he can just play prop for the rest of his career.
    Oz Sport Mad
    Oz Sport Mad

Post by Oz Sport Mad Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 am

Pieman wrote:

Can only go off what is being reported, I too found it amazing. And newcastle has never been the club whose supporters carry on about being the standard for the league, so still, you got him. He threatened to kill a 9 year old child according to stlothfield, that is just amazing - and they are right, if it happened in australia there is no fucking we he would have a contract.

Lol - good point, but you would think that a guy who hasnt worked for at least 2 years would take the chunk of cash being offered, considering bennett doesnt pay props, ever and considering he owe's 2 million bucks in america. The bronco's prob took care of that for him off the books tho

And I totally agree, I fucking hate him, cant stand his voice and cant stand his face, I will never understand why they have him on the show. He is fucking terrible and fucking hideous.

The fact he turned away Knights $$ is a good sign that he has learnt from what was undoubtedly a fairly significant mistake.

Kudos has to go to the Broncos for again benefiting society and rehabilitating a bloke that other clubs would have thrown in the too hard basket.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 pm