NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

    Newcastle Knights

    Share

    Dip

    Posts : 1196
    Reputation : 164
    Join date : 2015-09-30

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Dip on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:25 pm

    Krump wrote:
    I'm sure @Dip will know.

    There was a small back rower Jamie Feeney who played for the Dogs maybe late 90's, early 00's. Wonder if they are related.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2056
    Reputation : 170
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Pieman on Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:04 pm

    Dip wrote:

    Of that team you listed, you'd have to include Paea, Gagai and Feeney, so that makes 8 of the 17 changed clubs for money or opportunity (not saying there's anything wrong with that). I'd probably have Tariq Sims in the team as well, so that makes 9 (of lets say 18, as he may come in for another bought player).

    Looking at the profiles of Telstra Premiership squad players on the Knights webpage:
    Manly - Pearsall
    ESL - Paea,
    Warriors - Bhana, Taylor
    Dogs - Hodkinson, Feeney,
    Eels - Pauli,
    Broncos - Gagai,
    Raider - Mataora
    Cowboys - T Sims
    Dragons - Sims
    Sharks - Snowden
    Tigers - Stockwell

    Snowden was originally from the Knights, the sharks poached him first and Tinkler brought him back.

    leaguegod

    Posts : 794
    Reputation : 69
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by leaguegod on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:17 pm

    Honeysett wrote:Manly - Pearsall (won't play)
    ESL - Paea (retirement fund)
    Warriors - Bhana (Not in our 17, but will pay it) Taylor (who?)
    Dogs - Hodkinson ($$$) Feeney (Unwanted)
    Eels - Pauli (pushed out of the Eels, no choice)
    Broncos - Gagai (Fired from Broncos, no choice)
    Raider - Mataora (Yep)
    Cowboys - T Sims (Yep, $$$ or playing with his brother)
    Dragons - Sims (played with Knights under 20s for 2 years)
    Sharks - Snowden ($$$)
    Tigers - Stockwell (Dragons, but yep)

    Gagai was fired from the Broncos he didn't have a choice whether to stay or not and then when the Broncos wanted him back he still stayed with the Knights. I wouldn't class him as the same as someone looking to sign somewhere else for more money or an opportunity.

    I'm not saying guys can't sign elsewhere, that's the nature of the business. My point was if the club has gone over and above the norm to keep you happy and look after you and first thing you do is bail you're a mercenary.  


    Feeney was never unwanted at the dogs, just had a better offer a couple of years ago. he was rated by many just had more ahead of him at the time
    avatar
    Random
    Moderator

    Posts : 4885
    Reputation : 622
    Join date : 2015-01-12
    Age : 25

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Random on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:14 pm

    Not sure if you guys picked this up but Tapine came out saying that the Knights turned their backs on him.

    http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/joseph-tapine-breaks-silence-on-newcastle-knights-contract-drama-20160220-gmz91u.html

    I thought it was made clear that he wouldn't be playing for the Knights if he signed the deal.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:25 pm

    So the Coach tells him to sign the contract then punishes him for it? If I was a Knights player I would be looking to get out of there ASAP.
    avatar
    Krump

    Posts : 2409
    Reputation : 391
    Join date : 2015-07-31

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Krump on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:37 pm

    Bren wrote:So the Coach tells him to sign the contract then punishes him for it? If I was a Knights player I would be looking to get out of there ASAP.
    Just because the Raiders want to throw too much money at him doesn't make him a star, he'll still be a fringe player at the raiders this year. Why should Newcastle develop him? 
    As for saying the club has turned it's back on him what a crock of shit. He's the one who turned his back on a club that looked after him through the hard times then he left the second he got a chance at a pay day. If he was that upset about the training situation he would have gone to the Roosters, instead he'll just bitch and moan so that the Knights don't get the remuneration they deserve for letting him go early.


    Last edited by Krump on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

    leaguegod

    Posts : 794
    Reputation : 69
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by leaguegod on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:43 pm

    honestly, the real culprit of this messy situation is the NRL and its allowing players to sign for other teams before the start of the season, its unacceptable

    have an actual offseason, you can re-sign with your current team but you can't sign elsewhere for another team untill a week after the GF


    i know it wouldn't be perfect but it would be better that what we have now
    avatar
    No Worries
    Moderator

    Posts : 3307
    Reputation : 916
    Join date : 2015-07-31
    Location : Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday arvo

    Comedical gold from the manager

    Post by No Worries on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:46 pm

    "Newcastle have dug a hole that big for themselves that Nathan Tinkler would have got himself a mining license for it." - Jim Banaghan

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:48 pm

    Your Name wrote:"Newcastle have dug a hole that big for themselves that Nathan Tinkler would have got himself a mining license for it." -  Jim Banaghan
    Yeah that was gold lol!

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1069
    Reputation : 244
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:42 pm

    Krump wrote:
    Just because the Raiders want to throw too much money at him doesn't make him a star, he'll still be a fringe player at the raiders this year. Why should Newcastle develop him? 
    As for saying the club has turned it's back on him what a crock of shit. He's the one who turned his back on a club that looked after him through the hard times then he left the second he got a chance at a pay day. If he was that upset about the training situation he would have gone to the Roosters, instead he'll just bitch and moan so that the Knights don't get the remuneration they deserve for letting him go early.

    That's the sort of thinking that defies any logic.

    Nobody knows what will happen this season.
    The Raiders deal may fall through, he might cop a career ender, the Knights may win the comp with him involved, he may backflip.

    It should be a simple case of:

    Will he commit to giving it his all and leaving the club on a good note?

    If the answer is yes, then you are paying for him this season, so you might as well include him within the team.
    If the answer is no, then fair enough but all this talk of developing other players etc. is a cop out when really it is a case of making a decision based on being butt hurt that he is leaving the club.

    Oz Sport Mad

    Posts : 1069
    Reputation : 244
    Join date : 2015-09-28

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Oz Sport Mad on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:56 pm

    leaguegod wrote:honestly, the real culprit of this messy situation is the NRL and its allowing players to sign for other teams before the start of the season, its unacceptable

    have an actual offseason, you can re-sign with your current team but you can't sign elsewhere for another team untill a week after the GF


    i know it wouldn't be perfect but it would be better that what we have now

    Hi LG.

    I see your point but I can also understand young blokes wanting to secure their future and similarly clubs also wanting to plan their recruitment as early as practical.

    The NRL is a business now and if clubs and players were professional about these situations, then I can't understand why disputes like this arise.

    If I give my notice that I am leaving my work, I still put in 100% for however long my notice is because the industry is small and your reputation is important for whatever future direction you take.
    If I drop my bundle and decide I no longer give a shit, then I would expect to no longer be entrusted with my usual tasks or let go early.

    The NRL is no different.

    leaguegod

    Posts : 794
    Reputation : 69
    Join date : 2015-11-24

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by leaguegod on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:26 pm

    Oz Sport Mad wrote:

    Hi LG.

    I see your point but I can also understand young blokes wanting to secure their future and similarly clubs also wanting to plan their recruitment as early as practical.

    The NRL is a business now and if clubs and players were professional about these situations, then I can't understand why disputes like this arise.

    If I give my notice that I am leaving my work, I still put in 100% for however long my notice is because the industry is small and your reputation is important for whatever future direction you take.
    If I drop my bundle and decide I no longer give a shit, then I would expect to no longer be entrusted with my usual tasks or let go early.

    The NRL is no different.

    i see your point, and i have no doubt the player would put in the effort

    but NRL is still different to other industries because the biggest stakeholder is always gonna be the fans and no body likes seeing this deals sorted so far out, its jsut another distraction for the media and fans to talk about when the season is about to start.

    avatar
    Mearcats

    Posts : 1785
    Reputation : 341
    Join date : 2016-02-02
    Age : 32
    Location : Geelong, Victoria

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Mearcats on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:30 pm

    Hahaha, so many people upset about this (including said player and coach).

    To be honest I think we all lose sight of the fact that the NRL nowadays is a business. Unfortunately, not a very well functioning one. Sure, I'll be honest and say that viewer numbers are up and that is correlating into massive TV rights deals and sponsorship influx but at the end of the day this is all just a facade that the NRL uses to mask the fact that the are aware that they have some rather serious deficiencies when it comes to the actual nitty gritty.

    The NRL changed interchanges this year, I'm a fan but lets be honest, it's not an integral change that was needed. They decided that play the balls needed to be policed more. Pfffrt, please, waste of time. These things were done purely for the introductory VIEWER of the sport. To be exciting and entertaining. To the real fans, the club diehards, this isn't going to make them more inclined to fork out their hard earned to attend a game or take out a membership.

    Last year DCE reneged on a deal with the Titans and there was a massive uproar. There was also Teddy to Raiders and a few others. The NRL (who own the Titans) came out and said that the June (or July, whatever it is) transfer window and deadline needed to be looked at and changed. Why? Because an NRL owned team lost out? Maybe. Cynics out there would probably say yes. To an extent I think the NRL has the whole player contract system in a right royal mess. But they aren'y going to be inclined to fix it because what do they stand to gain from it?

    As for Tapine and the Knights, it's been said that the Knights did the right thing by him etc but at a recruitment level, did they? If they rated this player that highly they why not fight to keep him? Because you expect loyalty from a player that you looked after? Or is it because they see more potential in other players and think that the 500k extra over three years would be better off spent elsewhere?

    All in all as a club fan we'll always be upset when things like this happen but the blame needs to be placed where it lies.
    avatar
    Scouter

    Posts : 351
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2015-11-26

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Scouter on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:02 pm

    On a separate note how did Pauli Pauli go in the trial?
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5003
    Reputation : 1499
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 30
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Honeysett on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:37 pm

    Scouter wrote:On a separate note how did Pauli Pauli go in the trial?

    He looked solid, great offloads and was solid in defence.
    avatar
    Pieman

    Posts : 2056
    Reputation : 170
    Join date : 2015-10-26

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Pieman on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 pm

    Tapine is viewed as a 'developing player' so why would the knights continue to develop him when they know he isnt going to be there next year.
    Im happy its worked out for everyone, it seems though that the knights are the biggest losers out of it all - zero compensation for allowing him to be released early.

    Pauli Pauli went well, some great runs, but he wont be consistent.

    I like browns comments - some of the young guys outplaying the older guys. Very true. No agression what so ever from the older established guys.
    avatar
    SI
    Moderator

    Posts : 9473
    Reputation : 1695
    Join date : 2015-08-03

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by SI on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:36 am

    leaguegod wrote:honestly, the real culprit of this messy situation is the NRL and its allowing players to sign for other teams before the start of the season, its unacceptable
    This.
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5003
    Reputation : 1499
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 30
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Honeysett on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:47 am

    He's been released. Excellent. The club was really happy with the final result which is good. Was hoping for a player swap, would have been nice to add someone else to our forwards.
    avatar
    Random
    Moderator

    Posts : 4885
    Reputation : 622
    Join date : 2015-01-12
    Age : 25

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Random on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:14 pm

    Honeysett wrote:He's been released. Excellent. The club was really happy with the final result which is good. Was hoping for a player swap, would have been nice to add someone else to our forwards.

    What result would they be happy with? Not paying for any of his contract this season? Does he head to Canberra this year?
    avatar
    Honeysett
    Moderator

    Posts : 5003
    Reputation : 1499
    Join date : 2015-09-28
    Age : 30
    Location : Scarborough

    Re: Newcastle Knights

    Post by Honeysett on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:45 pm

    Random wrote:

    What result would they be happy with? Not paying for any of his contract this season? Does he head to Canberra this year?

    Yeah no cost to us I would assume they would be happy with. I would take a development player from Canberra.

      Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:05 am