NRL Fantasy Fanatics

A forum for discussion of NRL Fantasy / Dream Team / Supercoach as well as discussions about other sports, ex Sportal.

Cap cheating, pill popping Eels in CRISIS 2016 thread

Shanbon

Cap cheating, pill popping Eels in CRISIS 2016 thread

Post by Shanbon on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:28 pm

Some great recruitment for the Eels this season should see them make the top 8 and be pushing top 4

1. Gordon
    2. Radradra
    3. Jennings
    4. Gutherson
    5. Farimo/Folau/French
    6. Norman
    7. Foran
    8. Mannah
    9. Peats
    10. Paulo
    11. Mau
    12. Scott
    13. Moeroa

14. Watmough
    15. Wicks
    16. Gower
    17. Edwards

Ice

Re: Cap cheating, pill popping Eels in CRISIS 2016 thread

Post by Ice on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Get the hell out, how did we manage that??

Ice

Post by Ice on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:46 pm

Have at me with your trolling all you Eels haters.

Personally, I think we are shaping up as a better side this year than last year, but you never can tell with us. A bit will depend on how Foran and Norman gel and the health of them Peats and Gordon.

Jennings and Semi should form a decent combo, and I like the recruitment of Gutherson, so I hope he can stay healthy.

Assuming Junior Paulo and Pauli Pauli and all there errors and Penalties, and low minutes are let go, which I'm not overly concerned about, even though I liked them both, I think our best 17 is (taking into account the veterans that will start) something like this: (bracketed players the options)

1. Gordon (Gutherson)
    2. Gutherson (Folau)
    3. Takairangi (Morgan - I know people hang sh.it on him, but I like him)
    4. Jennings
    5. Radradra
    6. Norman
    7. Foran
    8. Mannah
    9. Peats
    10. Alvaro(Wick/Gower) I really like Alvaro though, hope this is a breakout season for him
    11. Scott
    12. Mau
    13. Watmough (Moeroa)

14. King (De Gois)
    15. Wicks
    16. Gower
    17. Moeroa (Edwards)

That's in not the worst side in the comp, but the fear is, as with most, but not all clubs, a couple of key injuries could end us quick smart.
    Krump

Post by Krump on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:15 pm

@Ice wrote:Get the hell out, how did we manage that??
    lol!
    Seeing the Eels seemingly running smoothly gives me hope.
    Shanbon

Post by Shanbon on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:48 pm

We have a heap of depth this year, experienced forwards who can step in and young gun backs who hopefully can step up if needed. Even the halves with Mitch Cornish there is decent cover. Better then years gone by, as long as we don't lose 3 top 5 players at once we should still win games

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Top 4 side? LOL

Ice

Post by Ice on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:28 pm

Bren wrote:Top 4 side? LOL

I reckon we are one or two dropped kickoffs from a top 8 for sure.

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:31 pm

@Ice wrote:

I reckon we are one or two dropped kickoffs from a top 8 for sure.

lol!

I disagree with you being a top 4 side but with Foran and Jennings and if Peats, Watmough and Gordon can stay injury free you should give things a good shake up.

Ice

Post by Ice on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Bren wrote:

lol!

I disagree with you being a top 4 side but with Foran and Jennings and if Peats, Watmough and Gordon can stay injury free you should give things a good shake up.

Mate I agree, I think we are long odds about a top 4, but top 8 is a realistic goal if we avoid injuries to key players, and that could be said about maybe 6 or 7 other sides. 2016 looming as the tightest race in years.

I think Brisbane a specials for the Minor Premiership. Anything less would be a major disappointment for Bennett and you'd have to query if he still has it if he can't get that side into the top position come the end of the year. Cowboys are certainties for top 4 barring injury to Thurston.

Then you have the likes of Roosters, Storm, Souths, and Dogs that are locks considering their roster and resources for the 8. Those sides don't make it then questions should be asked of coaches based on their personnel.

The you've got Sharks, Warriors, Dragons, Panthers, Manly, Eels, Raiders who can all lay legitimate claims to being a Top 8 side.

I'm only prepared to right off Titans, Tigers and Newcastle.
    SI

Post by SI on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:16 pm

@Krump wrote:
    @Ice wrote:Get the hell out, how did we manage that??
    lol!
    Seeing the Eels seemingly running smoothly gives me hope.

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Random

Post by Random on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:23 pm

@Ice wrote:Have at me with your trolling all you Eels haters.

Personally, I think we are shaping up as a better side this year than last year, but you never can tell with us. A bit will depend on how Foran and Norman gel and the health of them Peats and Gordon.

Jennings and Semi should form a decent combo, and I like the recruitment of Gutherson, so I hope he can stay healthy.

Assuming Junior Paulo and Pauli Pauli and all there errors and Penalties, and low minutes are let go, which I'm not overly concerned about, even though I liked them both, I think our best 17 is (taking into account the veterans that will start) something like this: (bracketed players the options)

1. Gordon (Gutherson)
    2. Gutherson (Folau)
    3. Takairangi (Morgan - I know people hang sh.it on him, but I like him)
    4. Jennings
    5. Radradra
    6. Norman
    7. Foran
    8. Mannah
    9. Peats
    10. Alvaro(Wick/Gower) I really like Alvaro though, hope this is a breakout season for him
    11. Scott
    12. Mau
    13. Watmough (Moeroa)

14. King (De Gois)
    15. Wicks
    16. Gower
    17. Moeroa (Edwards)

That's in not the worst side in the comp, but the fear is, as with most, but not all clubs, a couple of key injuries could end us quick smart.

Got to say I agree with you, the Eels looking really good at contesting for the Top 8 this year. Hopefully Foran kicks on well. I would also play Morgan over Takairangi in the centers and perhaps give him the bench spot over King/de Gois. He is a much better utility and Peats can play the 80 minutes. In fact on most occassions Peats was playing 80 minutes last year. So hopefully that persists. The starters in the second row look really solid. They look like they might struggle with go forward with the Front Rowers they have though.

Dip

Post by Dip on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:33 pm

Can't see them making the top 4, as I think you generally need to build towards that, but I reckon fans would be really disappointed if they miss the 8 with that squad. I'll say they'll finish roughly 6th, but with changes to the team the last couple of years should be one of those teams that are better at the end of the season rather than early in the season.

They might jag a preliminary final spot depending on how the team they meet in the finals are going. If they are going strong and one of the top 4 teams have some injuries or limp into the finals a bit like Souths did this year, they could spring an upset in week 2, especially if it's in Sydney.

How good would it be to see Parra playing a prelim final at ANZ against say Souths or the Dogs.
    Beast From The Big East

Post by Beast From The Big East on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:36 pm

Top 8 is in the realms of possibility but there are a bunch of sides in that expected 6-12 place range that could all contend or just miss out. I just hope that if they do miss out that they are judged on their season and not automatically thrown under the bus by critics like many do

Ice

Post by Ice on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:27 am

@Random wrote:

Got to say I agree with you, the Eels looking really good at contesting for the Top 8 this year. Hopefully Foran kicks on well. I would also play Morgan over Takairangi in the centers and perhaps give him the bench spot over King/de Gois. He is a much better utility and Peats can play the 80 minutes. In fact on most occassions Peats was playing 80 minutes last year. So hopefully that persists. The starters in the second row look really solid. They look like they might struggle with go forward with the Front Rowers they have though.

I'm not fussed about our go forward, our forwards won the battle of the hit up metres more than they lost last year and Mannah, Paulo, Wicks and Alvaro all average over 9 metres are run. Our problem was converting those metres to points, which is what our halves and backs struggled to do consistently.

Re Peats, I think he will play 80, but they don't all need to be at hooker. He can cover in the back row and allow fresh legs like King or De Gois to have a run at tired forwards. Plenty of hookers can play 80 but are they an effective 80 based on the strengths of their game? Possibly not, so I wouldn't underestimate the potential worth of a running hooker on the bench or some other live wire given the new interchange rules.
    SI

Post by SI on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:01 am

SMH reporting that the Eels could lose 4 competition points if they don't implement some of the key points recommended by the NRL.
    Krump

Post by Krump on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:04 am

@SI wrote:SMH reporting that the Eels could lose 4 competition points if they don't implement some of the key points recommended by the NRL.
    That story has been going around for months now. Is it just a rehash or is there new news?

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:05 am

They were going to lose 4 points vs the Broncos this year anyway.
    SI

Post by SI on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:27 am

@Krump wrote:
    @SI wrote:SMH reporting that the Eels could lose 4 competition points if they don't implement some of the key points recommended by the NRL.
    That story has been going around for months now. Is it just a rehash or is there new news?
    No idea mate, whilst League coverage over here is the best it's been, we still get stuff all on the actual news so don't here about some things offhand.
    Krump

Post by Krump on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:41 am

Looking at the way that the clubs that aren't autonomous from the NRL are run Parra would be better off losing the points and telling them to go jump
    No Worries

Post by No Worries on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 am

It is partially a rehash. Parramatta seem to think they have done enough and it's unrealistic to have everything implemented by season kick off, which seems fair. But the underlying issue is the NRL want them to implement a 3 year board rotation where 1/3 of the board is up for re-election each year to provide more stability and stop all the factions and Parramatta doesn't want to implement it.

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:43 pm